Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica - where to start?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

For me it is Master of Puppets, then 'and Justice for All'.

There are some great tracks on RTL but some weak ones too.

I like the Black Album also.

The new stuff Load etc, does not do it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Leslie91 wrote: »
    For me it is Master of Puppets, then 'and Justice for All'.

There are some great tracks on RTL but some weak ones too.

I like the Black Album also.

The new stuff Load etc, does not do it for me.

Load, at 14 years old, is hardly "new". IMO, it is a vastly underrated album. Some great songs on there - the "S&M" performance of "Hero Of The Day" is awesome. "ReLoad", on the other hand, is s***e!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Load, at 14 years old, is hardly "new". IMO, it is a vastly underrated album. Some great songs on there - the "S&M" performance of "Hero Of The Day" is awesome. "ReLoad", on the other hand, is s***e!

I'll agree with that

But then Derrick is no longer the "new" singer in Sepultura and yet I wouldn't refer to him any other way:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 oweno

Any of the first 5 albums are great so too is death magnetic, first load album not bad and garage inc is well worth getting too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Jabcity

And Justice for All... definately, then the Black Album

Don't bother with St Anger tho, Death Magnetic has a couple of OK tracks, but really their best times are behind them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

RTL, MOP, KEA. Justice was good but lacked bass! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Star Bingo wrote: »
    cowardly-lion-totally-looks-like-james-hetfield.jpg
    I see your pic, and raise you this:

guitarherometallica.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Peace Sells................

Oh wait, wrong thread :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭fartmaster

I rarely listen to RTL & KEA these days. The only Metallica albums I listen to on a regular basis would be TBA, Load & Death Magnetic. I can't listen to AJFA cos it hurts my ears, and St Anger is just s***e!!!

Load is pispoor album the ONLY song on it that sounds like Metallica is Until it sleeps, King Nothing sounds like a bad version of Enter Sandman composed when the band were hungover. I cant get it thru my head how any Metallica fan can admit to liking that album. AJFA is great and my favorite Metallica album but it is far from flawed, some of the songs go on to long and the song gets kinda destroyed because of that 'Frayed Ends of sanity' is a clear example of this, but for sheer METAL with brilliant drumming, mind blowing solos and great lyrics you cant beat Blackened, One, To live is to die and Dyers Eve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

OUTLAW TORN = LOAD

One of my favourite metallica songs tbh, and they didnt do much else since 1989 (cliche)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

fartmaster wrote: »
    Load is pispoor album the ONLY song on it that sounds like Metallica is Until it sleeps, King Nothing sounds like a bad version of Enter Sandman composed when the band were hungover. I cant get it thru my head how any Metallica fan can admit to liking that album. AJFA is great and my favorite Metallica album but it is far from flawed, some of the songs go on to long and the song gets kinda destroyed because of that 'Frayed Ends of sanity' is a clear example of this, but for sheer METAL with brilliant drumming, mind blowing solos and great lyrics you cant beat Blackened, One, To live is to die and Dyers Eve.

Everybody's opinions are different, that's why some people like it, and some don't.

Everybody's opinions are different, that's why some people like it, and some don't.
    But dont you see, you cant be a real fan of meeetttaallicarrrh if you like any post justice album FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 21,051 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I find myself listening to a lot of Metallica tunes on Youtube so I've twigged I ought to go and buy some of there stuff.

Obviously, they've got loads of stuff so I'm wondering what's the essential Metallica album to start with and where do I go from there?

My favourite tracks at the moment are "One" and "Ride The Lightning".
    why not just start at kill em all and work through all the albums. It's the only way to appreciate the evolution of the band, it's also the logical way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭fartmaster

The majority dont, and the reason behind this...is....cus the strayed away from their metal roots to play some sort of fooked up mismash American country and Western goobly bloooop that Garth Brooks would have been ashamed of. Honestly if you like that music off the load - st anger albums thats fair enough but is SOOOOOO different to the music that made Metallica and HEAVY METAL a popular brand of music and not some genre like death metal that never broke thru to the mainstream.
    Max Power1 wrote: »
    But dont you see, you cant be a real fan of meeetttaallicarrrh if you like any post justice album FFS

I quite like the Black album.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Ick... blah blah blah blah blah

Metallica WERE metal, then were rock and then were lame. But even then, some fans like St. Anger.

Some fans like the MetAAAAAAAAL!

Some fans prefer the rock.

Get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Am I Evil?

Bit late but oh well :pac:

If you can, buy Live **** Bing & purge.. Metallica are at their best when live.

But really try everything. As Cherub said some people like different periods of Metallica. The only album I would actually say I don't really like is Reload and even then it still has a couple good tracks.

If you're more into the Thrash stuff then obviously get the 1st 4 albums and Death Magnetic first but definately try out everything. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Is there a CD with Live ****, Binge & Purge? Or is it just a DVD?

Jako8 wrote: »
    Is there a CD with Live ****, Binge & Purge? Or is it just a DVD?
    3 cds ( mexico city concert iirc)
    and 2 dvds - 2 other gigs, one is seattle and I dont remember the other

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Am I Evil?

Max Power1 wrote: »
    3 cds ( mexico city concert iirc)
    and 2 dvds - 2 other gigs, one is seattle and I dont remember the other

And the other gig is San Diego from 1992.

Advertisement