Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New festival feedback wanted?

• 06-03-2010 3:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭

While I was in Thailand last year I went to something called "Loy Krathong" festival and it blew me away. I was the most amazing sight I have ever seen so I have decided to bring it to Ireland. Loy Krathong is "Sky Lantern festival" and from the link below you can see what it is all about...there is also a video link which is amazing.

www.skylanternfestivalireland.blogspot.com/

So anyway I am looking for your feedback and comments about this festival.
    I plan to launch from Dunmore east so that they float out over the estuary giving a double impact as you would also get the reflection from the sea of the lanterns above. I would also like to get involved with a local charity to donate an amount for each lantern that is launched. Maybe get some business to sponsor some...maybe the Solas center would be an ideal charity as "Solas" is light in Irish and is also a very worthy local charity.

Anyway comments and ideas please?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Brilliant. I'm sure you'll get a lot of support from local businesses. The more new ideas like this the better.

I'd make it a part of something else though...the culmination of a week long festival of live music maybe? Weekends are fine but wouldn't it be great to have it all week?

On the wednesday night we could have a fireworks display to the music of the movies...that would look great on the quay...then on the Saturday or Sunday night you could do your thing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭THEIRISHMOB

Yea have had a good bit of interest from some local waterford businesses.
    Would like to get some of the local Thai businesses involved like some of the restaurants and thai massage places involved also.
    Apart from that would be nice also to raise some money for a local charity in the process.

Any idea's or feedback is what I am looking for to make this as good and enjoyable for everyone as is possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Brilliant stuff, keep us posted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Great idea, just one concern re will the public actually be out on the water in a raft?

Reason I ask this is that whenever the word festival is mentioned in Waterford it is an excuse for every 16 year old around to hit the streets with a bag of cans no matter what, just look at down near the Strand on Bluegrass weekend for proof, where most of them have never heard of Bluegrass music, just see it as an excuse to get drunk. I used to do the same at that age for Spraoi etc. Could spell disaster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Also, are there any issues with sending them up into the sky with the fact that the airport isn't all that far away?

If not, it's a great idea and I'm sure it's beautiful. You'd have to do something to build up to it though. Not sure would just releasing them be too short a thing to get people to come.

• Advertisement

Great idea, just one concern re will the public actually be out on the water in a raft?

Reason I ask this is that whenever the word festival is mentioned in Waterford it is an excuse for every 16 year old around to hit the streets with a bag of cans no matter what, just look at down near the Strand on Bluegrass weekend for proof, where most of them have never heard of Bluegrass music, just see it as an excuse to get drunk. I used to do the same at that age for Spraoi etc. Could spell disaster

At the moment the plan is for everyone that wants to launch a sky lantern to be able to do so in 1 or 2 locations in dunmore east. The strand in dunmore east would be an ideal location to do this from. As regarding 16yr olds drinking...what can I say. This would be very much a family activity and I would encourage familys to get involved in this as it really is the MOST AMAZING thing you could ever see.

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Also, are there any issues with sending them up into the sky with the fact that the airport isn't all that far away?

If not, it's a great idea and I'm sure it's beautiful. You'd have to do something to build up to it though. Not sure would just releasing them be too short a thing to get people to come.

I would have to discuss this with the airport in greater detail once I confirm a date and time. I would obviously not be launching sky lanterns at any time that would affect flight times etc.

Over the next month I plan to get a lot of local businesses invloved and would be great if the local Thai businesses get involved and we add some other attractions to the event.

http://skylanternfestivalireland.blogspot.com/

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I would have to discuss this with the airport in greater detail once I confirm a date and time. I would obviously not be launching sky lanterns at any time that would affect flight times etc.

Over the next month I plan to get a lot of local businesses invloved and would be great if the local Thai businesses get involved and we add some other attractions to the event.

http://skylanternfestivalireland.blogspot.com/

You may want to discuss this with the airport before you approach places for sponsorship

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Sheebs

Looks amazing can't wait!

Thinking of changing the location of this event to Tramore prom as it is a much larger area for people to launch and easier access from Waterford city as a better public transport system. Tramore or Dunmore east

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

tramore. unless you do it during the high season when suirway run the regular bus to dunmore. without a bus, how are all of us with bags of cans gonna get out?! :pac:

KingLoser wrote: »
    tramore. unless you do it during the high season when suirway run the regular bus to dunmore. without a bus, how are all of us with bags of cans gonna get out?! :pac:

I'll give u a lift lol

Still need people to vote as to which location would be best?

vote here www.skylanternfestivalireland.blogspot.com

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭sydsad

Still need people to vote as to which location would be best?

vote here www.skylanternfestivalireland.blogspot.com

That would be really cool actually.

I voted Tramore :D

sydsad wrote: »
    That would be really cool actually.

I voted Tramore :D

Yea, Would be great to get something so amazing to Ireland.
    Tramore is a strong leader in our poll at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

we let a load of these off on the plaza for culture night last year. was great stuff, the garda didn't seem to have any problems, and no planes came crashing down so win win.

KingLoser wrote: »
    we let a load of these off on the plaza for culture night last year. was great stuff, the garda didn't seem to have any problems, and no planes came crashing down so win win.

Yea they really do make an Amazing sight.
    Totally legal also.
    Just need to clear it with the Airport as no need to cause a problem when it can be avoided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I voted for Tramore anyway. Think it's more accessible for more people. And I'd say it's also more well-known throughout the country.

Advertisement