Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Can Xbox 360 play PS3 Gamers online?

• 06-03-2010 3:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭

I have a 360 and friend has a PS3. He's looking about getting online. Can i team up with him for the likes of Call of duty for online gaming? Not sure if it is determined by the console or the game your playing. Thanks for any replies...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭mooman

No you can only play Xbox Live Members, there's a list of gamertags here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055590469 if you want to play with some people from boards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 74 ✭✭emmetcummins

I always wanted to know that but I'd feel a bit stupid asking , they probably have their own different types of servers or something

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Thats correct, very different servers. The games may look the same but the code running them is quite different. The architecture of the two machines couldnt be more different.

An xbox is effectively a stripped down, tuned PC running a stripped down tuned version of Windows. The PS3 is a mad thing all together, completely nutty architecture and OS.

They COULD make the servers agnostic of what machine is sending them packets (much the same way that Macs, Unix and Windows can all read and write to webservers...), but eh.... Microsoft and Sony dont want to work together.

The wishes of the players of course, are secondary ... or further down the list if possible.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 74 ✭✭emmetcummins

Just a question while we're talking about ps3s (yes, i know this is the xbox section hank you very much:P) but what's the best OS for it? The original or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Just a question while we're talking about ps3s (yes, i know this is the xbox section hank you very much:P) but what's the best OS for it? The original or what?
    Only the fat original PS3 can run a 2nd OS. The best would be either ubuntu PS3 edition or yellow dog linux. It obviously doesn't replace the original PS3 XMB OS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

Heh,there was a time when you could use megadrive controllers on Ataris.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

At the risk of dragging the thread off topic , I have to applaud boardies on this one. If this were any one of a number of other sites this thread would be 10 pages long with people ridiculing the OP for asking such a question. Only on boards is it safe to ask something and get a reply without such muppetry .

Well unless it was an after hours htread but lets not go there :p

Fair play to all. Felt that needed to be said.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

calex71 wrote: »
    At the risk of dragging the thread off topic , I have to applaud boardies on this one. If this were any one of a number of other sites this thread would be 10 pages long with people ridiculing the OP for asking such a question. Only on boards is it safe to ask something and get a reply without such muppetry .

Well unless it was an after hours htread but lets not go there :p

Fair play to all. Felt that needed to be said.

I was wondering why you were thanking all the posts :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Ill be honest... I was half-tempted... if your asking a question like that you should be playing a Wii or do some extra school study.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

Short answer:- No.

Long answer:- NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Reason: Sony had a crisis after Square Enix multiplatformed FFXIII. Imagine trying to do this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

be nice if we could though. Bring the whole comunity together.

There is some PC to Xbox cross fertilation on some games but ive never really played any of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭jetpack101

If MS don't want to play with Sony then let us:D

PS v Xbox what a duel.

Only put Xbox players together with other Xbox players and the same with Playstation then put the two groups on opposing teams.

Then we could decide what the better console was. I would even go as fare as to put up a leader board.

Xbox: Wins: 300 Loss: 2
    Playstation: Wins: 2 Loss: 300
    :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Mochara627

Shadowrun. I have that game on Xbox and play it quite a bit, PC users and Xbox users on the same servers. Esentially the two boil down to the same thing really except an Xbox is heavily simplified and dedicated to the one task. I can see the advantages of this but not many games really use it. Would raises discussion about what advantage a mouse and keyboard give you over an Xbox controller in multiplayer if (for example) MW2 shared Xbox and PC servers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    If you had two identical players one with a gamepad and the other with a mouse+keyboard the gamepad player would get he his rear handed to him. A mouse allows quicker and more accurate movement.

Thats why they increased the inaccuracy of the weapons on the PC version of SHadowrun, when the players are running the aiming reticule on the pc version goes much bigger than the on on the 360 version. Ive played a good few pc players and they haven't had much of an advantage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Unfortunately no

Advertisement