Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Internet Explorer extremely slow

• 06-03-2010 3:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭

I have a desktop and a laptop both of which have pretty similar specs. Same anti-virus software on both (enod). Generally both run at similar speeds loading webpages. However, in the last couple of weeks the desktop has become very very slow to the extent that it is not even loading some websites while the laptop hasnt changed. Same modem on both.
    I connected the laptop using the cable used for the desktop and the webpages load ok. I erased the temp internet files, cookies etc and a disk cleanup and defrag of the hard drive.
    The desktop is the machine used for the seldom time that i have downloaded torrents etc.

So something specific has happened to the desktop. Does anyone have any ideas as to what it is? If I cannot find the cause should I reinstall Vista though I dont have the disks. Should I look to get Windows 7 and do a complete install? Should I start using Google Chrome?

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭dun79

The first thing you should do is downlaod Spybot and scan, then do a full system virus scan.

if your thinking about geting windows 7 download Windows 7 90 day trial
    you can run (slmgr /rearm) 5 times, if you use the all 10 days you get to activate. you can have win7 for 500 days for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Thanks for the feedback.
    I have Superantispyware running. It was put on by a Tech guy in PC World. Is that sufficient instead of Spybot?

In the meantime I went into Msconfig and reduced a number of programs loading up into memory and that seems to have helped.

I will certainly try that Winows 7 trial. What do you mean by "you can run (slmgr /rearm) 5 times"?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭dun79

when your 90 day trial runs out, open command prompt as admin and run (slmgr /rearm)
    and you'll get another 90 days, you can do this 5 times.

Advertisement