Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renovation costs for 4 bed house

Options
  • 06-03-2010 4:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I'd like to get a rough idea of renovations costs before making an offer for a 1970s 4 bed detached house apprx 140sq m (1500 sq ft) in Co Dublin. It's an executors sale in almost orginal state with oil fired boiler in in outside boiler room. The work I can think of is as follows:

attic shleving/trap door/stira
    additional insulation (attic/wall)
    painting/plastering/decorating
    convert oil to gas for heating/cooking
    complete rewiring/tv points etc
    plumbing
    heating/ new radiators/new water tank
    Front windows replaced
    bathroom+tiling (main)
    bathroom+tiling (ensuite)
    guest wc+tiling+ storage
    Floor tile hall+kitchen
    Carpet (living/dining/bedrooms)
    Kitchen +appliances
    Fitted Wardrobes (4 Bedrooms)

I worked out it will cost at least 75-90k with reasonable quality bathroooms and kitchen finishing. Am I in the right ballpart area or am I being too optimistic?

Has anyone carried out a similar project recently? Estate agent says its cheaper no to fix an old house than 2 years ago... Any helpful advice much appreciated! Thankyou!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

You should be able to do for 75 to 90k no problem.

Hard for people to comment as it all depends on what type of kitchen, windows, tiles, sanitaryware, etc., you choose. You do a good kitchen for 10k but you can also spend 100k on a kitchen.

With careful selection, I'd say your budget is o.k.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

Replumbing, rewiring and 80mm thermal board on all external walls could be done for €30K inc vat.
    After that it's all down to how expensive your taste is.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭kevin101

Congrats on the new house. I have also boought a 4 bed semi within the last week and is also an executors sale. The house hads not been lived in for a number of years and dates back to the mid sixyties and is in original state, I also require all the work that you have stated and also subsidence work costing 25k. I reckon I will get it all done close to the 80k mark. Bear in mind the grants availible (www.sei.ie). Insulation on external walls is €2,500, boiler €700 and attic €400. We also require new windows to the front and rear and a new stairs. I will be doing a lot of the donkey work myself and hiring by direct labour. I intend to get at least three quotes for each job and maybe even more for the big jobs like plumbing, windows and electrics. It is a daunting task staring this house but labour is a lot cheaper. Also bear in mind that cheaper is not better and I beleive in paying a little more for a better standard of tradesman. Check refrences also

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭ayeboy

I was under the impression you cant get an SEI grant unless you have been living in the house for a certain number of years. Not sure though if this is correct and if so, how many years.

Advertisement