Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ULSU Elections 2010 (Voting Thursday March 11)

Options
  • 06-03-2010 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭

This is a list of the candidates for UL Students' Union elections at close of nominations on Friday 5 March 2010.

Elections will take place on Thursday 11 March. Details of polling hours and stations are just down the page in post #3.

As manifestos are issued, feel free to discuss your choice of candidate and why. Some (to be honest, not very many) of the candidates have boards.ie accounts and may reply, although I suspect most of them may well be too busy campaigning in real life™. As usual, If you are campaigning for a candidate or are a candidate, I expect you to declare that interest if posting. This will be done on the honour system, though in the interest of fairness I will point the finger at anyone who disregards this - for anyone who aims to deceive there's a good chance you'll be found out and I'll point the finger loudly (and probably forum ban for the duration). Any attempt to sock puppet will get a loud and public slap. Let people know your connection in your first post and there shouldn't be a problem - actually I'd like to see campaigners posting. Accusations of undeclared interest should not be made on-thread as it'll derail any discussion, use the report post button and I'll look at it (I'm quite good at spotting shills).

If candidates have a webpage and let me know, I'll edit in one link per candidate to an official webpage, bebo or facebook page (one per candidate) if they let me know by PM at any point during the week. Additionally I will include details of any blogs declared as independent if I'm informed of them.

Now the rules are out of the way:), here are your candidates:

President
    Sharon Brosnan URL=www.sharonbrosnan.com]weblink[/URL
    Louise Clohessy
    Ruán Dillon-McLoughlin
    Paddy Rockett
    Nicholas Ryan

DP/Welfare
    Derek Daly URL=http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=343480404474#!/pages/Vote-No-1-Daly-for-Welfare/10150109094955512?ref=mf]weblink[/URL
    Daniel Reid

Education
    Aoife Finnerty
    As the sole nominated candidate for the position of Education Officer, Aoife Finnerty is deemed elected unopposed.

Campaigns & Services
    Vivion Grisewood URL=http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=330133141989&ref=mf]weblink[/URL
    Lorcan O'Neill URL=http://votelorcan.webs.com]weblink[/URL

Communications
    Finn McDuffie URL=http://www.votefinn.webs.com]weblink[/URL
    Eoghan O'Brien URL=http://eoghan.skynet.ie/]weblink[/URL

Good luck to all candidates!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Blogs covering the election:
    (Click titles for links)

The UL Grapevine
    Independent blog from last year. Confirmed as continuing for this year's elections.

The UL Story
    Independent blog from last year. Confirmed as continuing for this year's elections.

UL Vote for Me
    Independent blog run for the past few years. Not confirmed as continuing for this year's elections yet but we're hopeful of a post or two during the week.

All the above tend to take a whimsical view of the elections as well as offering some good analysis. They're worth a read as the week progresses, at least based on previous contributions.

Hustings:

Come see the candidates speak and offer their views in a public debate! Ask the candidates questions in a public setting! Don't let them wriggle away with just a printed manifesto, come and see whether they're actually worth voting for! Don't be shy about dropping in and out to the hustings when you can, it's up to the candidates to sell themselves and convince you they deserve your vote!

Wednesday March 10, starting at 6pm in the Jonathan Swift Lecture Theatre (B-1023, just next to the main Red Raisins canteen.)

Where you can vote:

All voting wil take place on Thursday March 11.

Polling stations are:

SU Photocopying Room (7:30am - 6:30pm)
    KBS (9am -5pm)
    Health Sciences building (9am -5pm)
    Red Raisins Canteen (9am -5pm)
    Library (9am -5pm)

Count follows in the SU Common Room.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭GretchenWieners

Who's running for each position?

Also, I have questions for each person running on here.

What do you hope to get out of your position should you be elected? I don't want the whole "to make UL better" rant, I'd like to know what benefits you'd get if you are elected in relation to future career prospects, etc. Also, if you're not elected what have you planned for next year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭entropic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭ynwa_17

I'm really looking forward to the Elections this week. Its such a sham everything is crammed into a one week period. Surely two weeks would be perfect. Alas its been done now.

Can't see Daly being beaten for DP and Welfare. Not really sure why Daniel Reid took on Welfare. Either way, i can't see him being much of a challenge and the fact he vacated CRO this year already will only further reduce his chances of getting votes.

CSO looks like it'll be a good race. Vivion Grisewood is a strong candidate and i'm sure he'll go into the week as favourite. However, Lorcan O'Neill cannot be ruled out. Pretty sure Lorcan will have a strong campaign and with his experience in debating, he could be very strong at hustings. This one could really be close depending on what each candidate offers.

Communications is another tough one. I don't really know either candidate so i've yet to decide who i'm going for. However, Finn's prior involvement in An Focal will definitely give him an edge.

And then we have the big one:

Ruán - He will definitely go into the week as favourite. However, he can't rest on that. I'd expect a big campaign from him. No matter what he says, he is taking this race seriously. He wants to be re-elected. However, there is a lot of dissatisfaction with his reign this year. I know having talked to a lot of first years, they've found that the SU have done a pretty ****é job for them this year. Little in the way of decent events, a pretty much non-existent freshers week and a pretty terrible line up for Charity Week. While they may also be the work of the CSO, it will always be affiliated with the president. The gap between the SU and the students is a joke. No matter who wins, their main aim should really be to bring the SU closer to the students. You just have to look at the two SU AGM's not reaching quorum as proof of this. Having said that, he has done quite a lot of good work this year, especially with the pitches.

Paddy Rockett - Is a very strong candidate. While there seems to be a part boy image attached to him, theres little mentioning of his his spent within the Union and Class Reps. As current fundraising officer, he knows what needs to be done. Certainly from talking to him, he has big plans should he be elected, but don't all SU candidates say this? Could Paddy deal with the red tape of being SU President? If he does get elected and can manage to implement his ideas, he would be a fantastic president and would certainly leave a strong legacy behind him. Has ran many a campaign for previous SU incumbents so he definitely knows what he's doing. I'm expecting a massive campaign from him.

Louise Clohessy - I don't know her. But from what i've heard, i can't see her as being much of a threat to the stronger candidates. Possibly should've looked at going for a different position. I believe her campaign team is very weak in numbers and this will only work against her come Monday onwards. Would really need to pull a miracle out of the bag to stand a chance of being elected.

Nicholas Ryan - As nice a guy as he is, i don't believe he's Presidential material. He has plenty of ideas about how the SU should be run, however most of these are just unworkable. Theres a certain manner than the SU is run in and it will always remain the same. The SU cannot be run as a business. It'll be interesting to see what his manifesto is like. If his Facebook is to be believed, i'd say he has a very small campaign team, probably of like minded guys. This will not get you the public vote. As bad as it sounds, he really needs to stop pushing the dyslexia card.

Sharon Brosnan - My dark house for the election. It was definitely a shock that she decided to run for President. However, this was definitely decided long ago. Her manifesto http://karenkiely.com/sharonforprez/?page_id=4 looks decent but seems lacking and is quite short. Is popular amongst C&S and the wider UL community. But is UL ready for a woman president? Will certainly push Ruán and Paddy close. The 3 could end up being seperate by very little.

Hopefully theres a good voter turn out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭entropic

Here are my predictions based on nothing more than my opinion at the moment in time:

Communications: Finn to win it, it will be close and nobody will know but I expect a couple of hundred votes in his favour.

CSO: Lorcan, again close but I think he will pull away to a sizeable victory by the end of Thursday

Welfare: Derek by a country mile

President: I have no idea but I think the final two will be Ruan vs Sharon/Paddy
    Vote transfers are going to be absolutely vital in this race.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭lorcanthrope

Also, I have questions for each person running on here.

What do you hope to get out of your position should you be elected? I don't want the whole "to make UL better" rant, I'd like to know what benefits you'd get if you are elected in relation to future career prospects, etc. Also, if you're not elected what have you planned for next year?

Hey there - I'm Lorcan O'Neill and I'm running for CSO. I'll answer your question in two parts - firstly, the benefits for me. I'm hoping to graduate in Computer Engineering this year, and the main advantage I can see to having the position of CSO on my CV would be people and event management which are something an engineer would have to be comfortable and competent with. Other than that, there aren't really any knock-on effects for my career from this position.

If not elected, I'm intending to take a year out from college before returning to do a Masters since my family is going through three graduations this autumn and my brother is getting married - money is a scarce resource.

EDIT: To clarify: I answered what was asked, not why I want the position or why I think I would be good at it - I'm gonna keep that off of Boards since this isn't a spot for campaigning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

ok first question for any candidates that are posting here

will any of you try to extend the campaign period to two weeks if elected? if yes why if not why

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭lorcanthrope

PeakOutput wrote: »
    ok first question for any candidates that are posting here

will any of you try to extend the campaign period to two weeks if elected? if yes why if not why

Hi PeakOutput.

I think the fundamental issue with campaigning may be (as sceptre pointed out on the other thread) that extending the campaigning period will lead to even more ridiculous amounts of money being spent on campaigns. I do agree however that a 4 day campaign period can skimp on the actual issues and be to the detriment of students actually understanding why they're voting for someone. It would also restrict realistically running a campaign to those who have obscene financial backing - which is counter-productive to an ideal that any student should be able to run for office if they wish.

I'd only be in favor of extending the campaigning period if we managed to put some kind of a cap on funding for campaigns or established a benchmark which maintained a level of financial equality for candidates - thus enforcing analysing real issues or being more innovative in terms of an approach to fixing problems as being bigger game-breakers in a campaign rather than being able to afford 300 tshirts, a person recommendation from Nelson Mandela and enough sweets to take down a small country.

It's definitely something I think needs to be examined within the framework of how the Union operates, but I wouldn't be committed to one straight-up answer -Yes or No. Saying Yes straight off the bat wouldn't work, but I don't think maintaining the status quo just for the sake of it is necessarily a good approach either.

So my answer is essence is: Yes, if we can identify a correct way of applying it. This is something that I would like to examine if elected. Hope this is enough, if not, let me know and I'll try to elaborate.

Lorcan O'Neill

a cap on the money spent and vouched expenses would be necessary alright

on the same theme have any of the candidates any plans to reform the hustings / debates into a proper debate?

what are the candidates thoughts on fees?

what are the candidates thoughts on the recent news about inflated results?

are any of the candidates aligned with any political parties?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

What do you hope to get out of your position should you be elected?
    Well I'm really enjoying the job so far, so that's what's in it for me. There's a lot of personal development to be gained from the role.
    What I'd do? Its mainly a matter of continuing what I've been doing on committees for the last 9 and a half months and improving on how I run day-to-day stuff because I have the knowledge of what I can personally do better. By not needing the summer to get to grips with the University bureaucracies I can hit the ground running, much more than I thought I could last year, as non-sabbatical Union experience doesn't really give this experience.
    I'm not going to promise to deliver anything that I can't guarantee, but I will promise to work hard on the various issues affecting students.
    Also, if you're not elected what have you planned for next year?
    Job hunting. The year just gone has brought me to the conclusion that I don't want to be an accountant, which is what I would be doing now if I wasn't elected last year.
    No. Students are pestered enough with 4 day campaigns. It's a very positive thing that we have 4 day campaigns in my opinion. There's nothing you can find out in 2 weeks that you ca't find out in 4 days. I'd actually be in favour of a 3 day campaign, as those running have to sacrifice class time at an important time of the academic year, and while it's a price to be paid, all people going for election must be assumed to be doing it for the betterment of students, and I know my academic performance definitely suffered as a result. I wouldn't change it for the world, but I don't think it's fair to those with viciously intense courses.
    on the same theme have any of the candidates any plans to reform the hustings / debates into a proper debate?
    I think hustings wold be better if hosted online with pre-submitted questions. That way all students could see a video of the hustings rather than having to turn up at a specified time, however, I also believe that many students are indifferent to hustings. If manifestos were availabe to and read by all, the hustings would be less important. Opinion of course. I'll part-take regardless as I have always attended hustings, but it is mainly just candidates' supporters. There are very few people who go to hustings who haven't decided who they're voting for.
    My personal opinion remains the same as it was last year. I am personally in favour of fees as I believe they would encourage students to demand more of their education as consumers and also instill a sense of the value of getting out of bet for a 9am lecture.

That said, this year I have represented the Union position which is no fees. I believe that I have been more able to do this by pre-empting the arguments for fees in meetings with politicians. I know the boundaries of personal/Union opinion and I have always acted accordingly.
    When then issue of UL's ranking was raised at Governing Authority this year, I pointed out that a UL 2:1 is as good as a 1:1 from TCD or NUIG in the eyes of employers I have spoken to, partially because of co-op and partially because of lower grade inflation in UL which they do note.

While the grade inflation is significant, I think relevance and teaching quality of modules is more important and I know that our Ed Officer elect would be of a similar opinion.
    I am a member of Fianna Fáil. I wouldn't normally, but I'm going to declare that my opponent is also just in case he doesn't engage here and this is something that affects voting.

Again, I have kept my party political dealings at arm's length in a similar manner as I have kept personal and Union opinions completely separate where they don't intersect.

This has however benefitted the Union this year as it enabled us easier access for lobbying purposes in the anti-fees campaign as I know how to get past diary secretaries;)

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

Ok heres my question:

As someone who has been involved a little in the SU and a little outside the SU I am going to ask the classic question that never seems to be answered (or recieves an answer that some other candiate has used in the past, or recieves an answer that refers to an issue already worked on by past officers, or recieves an answer that is sooooo totally crap that it will never happen)

WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO IN YOUR JOB THAT IS DIFFERENT AND BETTER THAN YOUR PREDECESSORS?

(Best and most original answer will get my vote)!! - I'm sick of reading the same **** every year!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 shzsky

I'd like to know what benefits you'd get if you are elected in relation to future career prospects, etc. Also, if you're not elected what have you planned for next year?

To be honest, my future career is going to be based on my portfolio. This position will add to an already substantial list of activism and leadership, which might be the difference between me an another candidate, but it will hold no direct bearing on my future career.

If I do not get elected, I hope to be accepted to a highly regarded PhD scholarship in UL in September, while during the summer I will be continuing to work towards getting my skydive instructor rating.

A two week campaign would be great for informing the larger student body of who the candidates are and what they stand for. The 4 day campaign seems ideal for final year students and present sabbatical officers who may not have their full time to dedicate to
    I agree with lorcanthrope, there will have to be some sort of expense limit as many candidates may not have the same financial backing as others.
    Many factors and candidates ability to commit to two weeks would have to be examined like present sabbatical officers, and final year students especially.

Turning the hustings in to a debate would be interesting and probably add more excitement to the day, but with very few people attending the hust who have not already decided on their vote, this probably would have little effect on the student opinion of a candidate.

Ireland offers free education since and it should stay this way. I plan to lobby against fees if elected. Ireland currently has the second highest level of people from 25-34 holding third-level degrees in the EU. With fees being introduced this level will inevitably drop.
    Parents and Leaving Cert students did not anticipated fees during their lifetime, and may not have the funds to pay full fees. If this is to be introduced it should be many years down the line so parents and students can begin planning for a much larger financial backing then just living expenses and registration fee.
    On the registration fee, it is ridiculous that year on year they continue to raise the amount. How much money are they spending on "Academic and other services", and why has the amount risen so sharply in the past 5 years. As Fine Gael education spokesman Brian Hayes put it, Fees are being “effectively introduced by the back door".
    This needs to stop.

The investigation into the allegations should go ahead, if major companies like Google and Intel are accusing Ireland of having an average education system then this is only hurting our systems reputation and the graduates that come out of it. If the results of the allegations means that we must improve the education level in UL then I am all for ensuring this comes to pass.

I am not aligned with any political parties.
    DJCR wrote: »
    WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO IN YOUR JOB THAT IS DIFFERENT AND BETTER THAN YOUR PREDECESSORS?
    I am going to organise events the likes of which are done during Charity Week but on a smaller scale to liven things up. I WILL use the cinema screen regularly for movie and gaming events in the courtyard and by the Ski Slopes. I will investigate the reduction of parking costs and the building one more parking facilities.
    I am going to promote local talent in UL and Limerick with different types of amateur nights-comedy, music etc.
    I am going to find funding for the Learning Centres in UL, and promote them so more people know where they are and how good a resource they are.
    I will improve the appointment method in the Medical Centre, if a student needs to see a doctor that day then there should be no issue with booking an appointment for the UL Medical Centre instead of travelling off campus.

Sharon Brosnan

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

paddy rocket for president because he has a funny name, and ms greaseball for campaigns and services .

have no idea who the rest of them are.

No FF logo mr. Daly?

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

because he has a funny name

If that's all it takes to get elected, i'm so changing my name for next year

(Best and most original answer will get my vote)!! - I'm sick of reading the same **** every year!
    Unfortunately in answering that question I am the incumbent. I feel I have already made an improvement by making a clear distinction that there are professionals enlisted by the Union to assist students and will advise them of that rather than offer advice where I have no indepth knowledge, I calm and refer. As to what I'll do different to that dastardly current officer, I'll be able to utilise the summer for planning instead of learning. The Union needs to be informal and approachable for students, but it ultimately needs to be a precision, professional machine that can serve excellently. I want to professionalise the code behind the informal user interface. I have started this, but it needs finishing.
    No FF logo mr. Daly?
    It would be a waste of ink if both myself and my opponent were to place the FF Logo on our posters, since it's the only option;)

In any case, party politics has no place in the job.

ninty9er wrote: »
    Unfortunately in answering that question I am the incumbent. I feel I have already made an improvement by making a clear distinction that there are professionals enlisted by the Union to assist students and will advise them of that rather than offer advice where I have no indepth knowledge, I calm and refer. As to what I'll do different to that dastardly current officer, I'll be able to utilise the summer for planning instead of learning. The Union needs to be informal and approachable for students, but it ultimately needs to be a precision, professional machine that can serve excellently. I want to professionalise the code behind the informal user interface. I have started this, but it needs finishing.

It would be a waste of ink if both myself and my opponent were to place the FF Logo on our posters, since it's the only option;)

In any case, party politics has no place in the job.

Can we expect that OFF will not be trumnpeting a Fianna Fail win then after the election? I notice they were in the NUIG board.

Also you said previously that you are a believer in the reintroduction of fees but will campaign against them for the SU and have campaigned against them for the SU.

How can I trust an SU candidate who says one thing but believes another, and openly admits it?

oh and vivienne is a bloke. apologies to Mr. Greaseball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

Can we expect that OFF will not be trumnpeting a Fianna Fail win then after the election? I notice they were in the NUIG board.

I think this shows they already are trumpeting such a win, given that both candidates are politically affiliated.

Although, I can't find a similar post on Daniel Reid's Facebook group. Does this mean the party's split??? :pac:

By the by: I have no preference for either candidate. My best wishes to both.

Also you said previously that you are a believer in the reintroduction of fees but will campaign against them for the SU and have campaigned against them for the SU.

How can I trust an SU candidate who says one thing but believes another, and openly admits it?

Because one is my job and the other is my personal opinion. I get paid to do my job, I'm not paid to have personal opinions.

If I win you can expect that I will be congratulated, if not I will get a comiseration, not that it is significant in any regard, or makes any difference to my candidacy or the manner in which I have done, or will continue to do the job if elected.

I have already stated theat my party political allegiences have had no bearing on my conduct in office. Any staff member or other officer will tell you that.

• Advertisement

As a member of the electorate I think I am entitled to ask these questions. I want a candidate who fights for what they believe, not what someone tells them to believe.

"another year in office for the lads."

says it all .

BtS, you're perfectly entitled to ask reasonable questions but some of the above, including "Mr Greaseball" as well as dragging the Fianna Fail argument on past the point of rescue, is just plain trolling. This is not your playground.

Not here. I can give you an enforced holiday if the temptation to troll is too difficult to resist. Your call. Other people that aren't you want to use the thread as well.

/mod

As a member of the electorate I think I am entitled to ask these questions.

no1 said you werent
    I want a candidate who fights for what they believe, not what someone tells them to believe.

knowing how to pick your battles isnt a negative quality imo and knowing that most of your electorate would be against fees and being able to take that into account instead of pushing your opinion no matter what is also pretty admirable
    "another year in office for the lads."

says it all .

what does it say?

having said all that i imagine ill abstain from that particular vote as i dont like the idea of either being affiliated with ff but im open to being persuaded

having said all that i imagine ill abstain from that particular vote as i dont like the idea of either being affiliated with ff but im open to being persuaded

Oh God......... lets bury this rubbish now, we had it last year when he ran.

Derek daly is an individual, he has his own personal views like everyone else.

Derek has made it clear he is there to represent the students agenda not his own. If his last reign in the office is anything to go by he is not representing FF but us.

Govt.cut backs have effected students but Daly has continually asked to be emailed so he has a mandate to fight these issues.

He is paid by us, he represents us what mor could you want!!

Derek Daly does not equal FF in this job......... now let the man run a campaign that is based on him not his afffiliates!!!
    You know what they say......... There are always diamonds in the rough.

In this race we have a guy who was elected and goes to meetings Vs. a guy who was elected and deemed rsigned because they couldn't perform the basic duties of his office ie. go to a meetings!!

I'm not endorsing Daly but I believe peoples decisions should be based on the person and how they feel they can do the job not because of the sport/subjects they study/political views they may have - especially when they have already said a number of times that they do not affect the way he does his job!!

shzsky wrote: »
    I am going to organise events the likes of which are done during Charity Week but on a smaller scale to liven things up. I WILL use the cinema screen regularly for movie and gaming events in the courtyard and by the Ski Slopes. I will investigate the reduction of parking costs and the building one more parking facilities.
    I am going to promote local talent in UL and Limerick with different types of amateur nights-comedy, music etc.
    I am going to find funding for the Learning Centres in UL, and promote them so more people know where they are and how good a resource they are.
    I will improve the appointment method in the Medical Centre, if a student needs to see a doctor that day then there should be no issue with booking an appointment for the UL Medical Centre instead of travelling off campus.

Sharon Brosnan

Thanks for your reply Sharon its nice to see your on boards to answer questions but from what I can se there isn't anything new here:

1) Mini Charity week days - College (Faculty) Days were done a few years ago whereby a day was chosen in the week for each college leading up to (what was then) RAG week.

2) Cinema Screen - THis seems to be the issue of choice from what I see from the presidential candidates, collosal waste of money but unfortunately the weather plays a huge part in this.......

3) Parking Costs - Beaten to death, they are using it to pay off the living bridge and seen as UL is nearly €10Million in debt as it is can you really see them lowering the cost?

4) Promote local talent in UL - Will people pay for this - UL Music soc play every monday in the stables already

5) Learning centres - interesting concept but what do you mean? There are already Langage learning centres, maths workshops, cv workshops etc - what exactly are you going to try and achieve? (Sorry maybe I'm being silly)

6) Medical Centre - they are trying to introduce a charge for the medical centre at the moment do you think it will be possible to get them to improve it at extra cost!!

This reply may seem a bit harsh - but seriously - thank you for replying......... its good to have an online debate on this, people can refer to it when deciding. Would greatly appreciate any other candidates repling to my original question!!

Thanks again Sharon!!

Derek Daly does not equal FF in this job......... now let the man run a campaign that is based on him not his afffiliates!!!

i just dont like ff he is a member thats a mark against him
    In this race we have a guy who was elected and goes to meetings Vs. a guy who was elected and deemed rsigned because they couldn't perform the basic duties of his office ie. go to a meetings!!

seen as it was me you quoted ill respond but im sure this was aimed at everyone. as i said, if anything i wont vote for either of them ie abstain
    I'm not endorsing Daly but I believe peoples decisions should be based on the person

you judge a person by the coices he makes he has chosen to be a member of young ff, thats fine and clearly he is proud of it which is also fine but you dont get to pick and choose which parts of the person we are allowed judge him on every action makes up the man not the ones you pick and choose for us

leaving the whole views on fees aside, I couldn't bring my self to vote for any incumbant.

Over the past four to five months I have seen little to no coverage of an issue that concerns me greatly - the removal of BTEA for incoming mature students. Given that many of those who are hoping to get into UL in September will be from the 1,900 made redundant at Dell I feel ULSU - all of them - should have been screaming from the rooftops about this.

Asside from a two minute report on TV3 three months after the budget, I have seen lno evidence of any student representative body doing anything to get coverage for this issue.

EDIT: ULSU had an opportunity to team up with LITSU and Mary I SU to get this issue more coverage and they blew it.

On the issue of political party affiliation. if those running don't want it to be an issue they should resign from their respective political party for the duration of their time in office.

Whether they like it or not it is going to be brought up. resigning from their respective parties will put that issue to bed once and for all.

i just dont like ff he is a member thats a mark against him

seen as it was me you quoted ill respond but im sure this was aimed at everyone. as i said, if anything i wont vote for either of them ie abstain

you judge a person by the coices he makes he has chosen to be a member of young ff, thats fine and clearly he is proud of it which is also fine but you dont get to pick and choose which parts of the person we are allowed judge him on every action makes up the man not the ones you pick and choose for us

Sorry, I did quote you but it wasn't all aimed at you!! :D:D:D

I would disagree on your final point - you do get to pick and choose, especially when the information being chosen has nothing to do with the decision you have to make.

I'm going to make a rather ostentatious comparison:

Ryanair have been recently found they hired a former porn star (completey by accident - they didn't mean to)!!
    Now, many people may object on moral grounds to this but does it stop her being a good flight attendant........... no!!

In fact, she could be the best flight attendant they have ever had unless of coure she starts girating on the customers which may be seen as innapropriate to some.:D:D:D

So while people may have made questionable decisions in their past it doen't affect ther ability to perform well in the task at hand!!!

I really have to stop procrastinating now!! ;)

leaving the whole views on fees aside, I couldn't bring my self to vote for any incumbant.

Over the past four to five months I have seen little to no coverage of an issue that concerns me greatly - the removal of BTEA for incoming mature students. Given that many of those who are hoping to get into UL in September will be from the 1,900 made redundant at Dell I feel ULSU - all of them - should have been screaming from the rooftops about this.

Thats true, the issue should have been raised, I personally can't believe that it was proposed in the first place esecially seen as education is seen as a neccesary for the econmy after we manufacture a way ut of the current "global crisis"

However, I was more surprised at the Institute for higher education allowed this to go by without making a huge deal about it. Also the USI (of which the ULSU is not affiliated) let it go by the wayside aswell - proving they are the shower of ***** that I've always said they are.

I think there was was a view out there that because they wern't students at the time they didn't fall nder the remit of any student Union - either that or everyone was caught napping.

Either way its unbelievable!!

• Advertisement

Thats true, the issue should have been raised, I personally can't believe that it was proposed in the first place esecially seen as education is seen as a neccesary for the econmy after we manufacture a way ut of the current "global crisis"

However, I was more surprised at the Institute for higher education allowed this to go by without making a huge deal about it. Also the USI (of which the ULSU is not affiliated) let it go by the wayside aswell - proving they are the shower of ***** that I've always said they are.

I think there was was a view out there that because they wern't students at the time they didn't fall nder the remit of any student Union - either that or everyone was caught napping.

Either way its unbelievable!!

ULSU are not blameless, while there was alot of wasted opportunity on the part of USI, ULSU have plenty of media outlets both locally and regionally to campaign on this issue.

How many ULSU people went out to the likes of the Dell Representative groups and offered to support them should they wish to go to college following their redundancy.

The Dell representative group had the ear of many of the high profile politicians and they could have pooled their resources to both get this coverage, and maybe, just maybe get either a partial or full reversal for this idiotic decision on the part of the Government.

Advertisement