Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ULSU Elections 2010 (Voting Thursday March 11)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

ULSU are not blameless, while there was alot of wasted opportunity on the part of USI, ULSU have plenty of media outlets both locally and regionally to campaign on this issue.

How many ULSU people went out to the likes of the Dell Representative groups and offered to support them should they wish to go to college following their redundancy.

The Dell representative group had the ear of many of the high profile politicians and they could have pooled their resources to both get this coverage, and maybe, just maybe get either a partial or full reversal for this idiotic decision on the part of the Government.
    ULSU has 6 full time staff, that includes an administrative secretary, a general manager, a receptionist and a Clubs and Sociteies Development Officer. We don't have enough resources as it is, never mind taking on work from those we don't represent.

It all sounds good, but there's only 24 hours in a day. It is up to the University to let people know the education is there for them, where we come in is when they get a student card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

DJCR wrote: »
    In fact, she could be the best flight attendant they have ever had unless of coure she starts girating on the customers which may be seen as innapropriate to some.:D:D:D

Not inappropriate to me but even she did I still wouldn't fly with them, once in a life time is enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

ninty9er wrote: »
    ULSU has 6 full time staff, that includes an administrative secretary, a general manager, a receptionist and a Clubs and Sociteies Development Officer. We don't have enough resources as it is, never mind taking on work from those we don't represent.

It all sounds good, but there's only 24 hours in a day. It is up to the University to let people know the education is there for them, where we come in is when they get a student card.

TWhen they introduce fees they will be introduced to those starting and will not be imposed on say third or fourth years. There is a warning that they could be introduced for second years, but this plan has been scrapped aparantly.

If it is ok to campaign against fees which will effect only prospective students, then it should be ok to campaign against this particular decision relating to BTEA.

As for being short staffed, it would not have taken much effort to fire off some press statements, or do a ten minute interview with the local/national radio stations.

being short staffed is also all the more reason they should have teamed up with other student unions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

OK 1st yr student and havent fully made up my mind on my votes for any one except for ruan
    Daly, thanks for being honest on your stance on fees, dont agree with it but at least its honest and seein i havent heard of any spilt in the su over the approach to fees ill take your word for it. What exactly do you hope to do next year given you experience of the office this year? no promises, just generally wat you envisage as your job nxt yr.
    On CSO position. Loved dempsey, great man to talk to. For all the candidates, What would you try and get goin/improve on next year, cause i wasnt impressed with freshers week. But im highly impressed with charity week causes and the activities with them.
    Communications: Personally have no issues with an focal and i thought the aoife did a brilliant job. Same question as before, what would you try to start off/improve next year?
    Also quick question on the hustings, is there a timetable for it or can some one tell me the general format for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

freyners wrote: »
    OK 1st yr student and havent fully made up my mind on my votes for any one except for ruan

why ruan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Catch15

3rd year with a vote going to Viv, Daly, Finn and can't decide on Prez..

I'd like to see the Presidential candidates clarify 'getting people involved in the Union' on a larger scale, with events etc. That's massive, anyone with any experience organizing events in UL should know that if it is to be a success you need either a big name band/performer or a really popular person to drag all their friends!

As for protests and campaigns, a guesstimate of 80% of students have zero interest. If anything, you're labelled a 'crusty' just for showing an interest in that sort of thing by most people! I personally tried to get petitions for fees (the €30 to €90 increase one, no brainer like) signed by students and many wouldn't sign it! If that doesn't make you lose faith in humanity...

I also think Ruán is doing a great job and whoever is in that office next year would want to build on what he's done.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

In this race we have a guy who was elected and goes to meetings Vs. a guy who was elected and deemed rsigned because they couldn't perform the basic duties of his office ie. go to a meetings!!
    I feel like highlighting Dave's point here. Here's why:

DP/Welfare position.

Two options. Derek Daly or Daniel Reid.

Derek Daly's been in the DP/Welfare position on the SU executive for nine months since last July.
    Daniel Reid was in the Community Relations position on the SU executive before Christmas for a few weeks until he was deemed resigned because he didn't go to any of the weekly meetings or send apologies (he didn't actually have to go, all he had to do was let them know he wasn't going to).

Daniel may be a top chap for all I know and having met him twice he seems like a nice guy but I'm sure as bedamned not going to give my vote to someone who was deemed resigned because he didn't go to any of the once-a-week meetings the position requires or even let the admin secretary know he wasn't going (which as I said, is enough to escape being kicked off). Not too much to expect, it's one of the main parts of the job after all (and the only compulsory part).

That's the easiest election choice I've had to make since... erm... actually deciding which way to vote in the divorce referendum was more difficult... that'd be ever then. Sorry Daniel, my conscience and sense would both never forgive me for voting for you here on that basis. I'll be voting for Derek even before bothering to look at anything resembling a manifesto. Obviously vote for whomever you wish but that's my view.

That's likely to be the only election preference you'll see on these boards from me for a long time - I didn't even publicly declare a Lisbon II intention but this one's a no-brainer. I will of course stand on my past deeds as forum moderator and be completely neutral (not pro-anything, merely anti-idiocy) in decisions as I always have been, especially with this thread. Where I feel in doubt, I'll vacate the decision to Peteee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭entropic

sceptre wrote: »
    That's the easiest election choice I've had to make since... erm... actually deciding which way to vote in the divorce referendum was more difficult... that'd be ever then.

You voted in the divorce referendum, soon there will be students in UL born after that took place :P

Cant wait to see the college tomorrow by the looks of facebook there are some pretty god posters. Just wondering how its going work out for everyone with 11 people and there is no way 11 posters will fit on one notice board.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Are students assigned a polling station. I mean what is to stop me voting in both KBS and the Library courtyard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 shzsky

No problem at all.
    1) Mini Charity week days - College (Faculty) Days were done a few years ago whereby a day was chosen in the week for each college leading up to (what was then) RAG week.
    Yeah, but they haunt been done in a few years. I think that these weren't run great. I will be bringing these back, and liaise with the Education Officer in to looking in to separate Faculty events. Also, during other colleges RAG week I will be running events that will keep UL student on campus.
    2) Cinema Screen - THis seems to be the issue of choice from what I see from the presidential candidates, collosal waste of money but unfortunately the weather plays a huge part in this.......
    Colossal waste of money it might have been but it really needs to be used to make back that investment. This week is the perfect example of when it could be used, even if the weather was poor until Spring. I have already made steps to contact contacting GSoc and Anime Society to host events on these.
    2) 3) Parking Costs - Beaten to death, they are using it to pay off the living bridge and seen as UL is nearly €10Million in debt as it is can you really see them lowering the cost?
    I am willing to negotiate with the University for a reward scheme, lower prices or some kind of discount. If they're not willing I will organise a protest. We need to stand up for what we believe in against what we know isn't feasible - students paying €15 a week for parking.
    4) Promote local talent in UL - Will people pay for this - UL Music soc play every monday in the stables already
    It would not be a paid gig. I'm looking for variety of talent around here. This, I would hope, will also promote the name of the Students Union. I've been thinking about a UL's Got Talent, Sabbats as judges and maybe some special guests!

5) Learning centres - interesting concept but what do you mean? There are already Langage learning centres, maths workshops, cv workshops etc - what exactly are you going to try and achieve? (Sorry maybe I'm being silly)
    No silly questions here-I wasn't very clear. I am trying to help these organizations. With funding becoming thinner and thinner, they are potentially going to be the first on the chopping block, so although we cannot provide monetary assistance I will be offering incentives to the tutors and anything else that they need that we can provide.
    6) Medical Centre - they are trying to introduce a charge for the medical centre at the moment do you think it will be possible to get them to improve it at extra cost!!
    If they're going to start charging then I will demand an improved service!! If they're not introducing a charge I will lobby. Improved service to student is what is needed and I will make this a priority if elected.
    I'm a bit disappointed you haven't come to talk to me, but please read my manifesto and come back if you have any questions. :)
    Catch15 wrote: »
    I'd like to see the Presidential candidates clarify 'getting people involved in the Union' on a larger scale, with events etc. That's massive, anyone with any experience organizing events in UL should know that if it is to be a success you need either a big name band/performer or a really popular person to drag all their friends!

As for protests and campaigns, a guesstimate of 80% of students have zero interest. If anything, you're labelled a 'crusty' just for showing an interest in that sort of thing by most people! I personally tried to get petitions for fees (the €30 to €90 increase one, no brainer like) signed by students and many wouldn't sign it! If that doesn't make you lose faith in humanity...

For me, getting people involved will include promoting the name of the Union. One of my aims is to change the view of the Union to students. It needs to be seen as a member of the student body as opposed to a clique in the corner. The full student body needs to know what is actually going on there. I haven't seen the Union reach out to the students like it should be in the past couple of years. One of my main goals is to change how the students and Union communicate with each other.
    Regarding protesting, I think it is more fun for students to protest and stand up for what they believe in then sign a petition…a lot more effective then a petition too.

• Advertisement

Are students assigned a polling station. I mean what is to stop me voting in both KBS and the Library courtyard.

You can vote at any of the polling stations.

They have a networked system so when you ID is taken in one place it shows up at the other polling stations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Uldrick

ynwa_17 wrote: »
    I'm really looking forward to the Elections this week. Its such a sham everything is crammed into a one week period. Surely two weeks would be perfect. Alas its been done now.

Can't see Daly being beaten for DP and Welfare. Not really sure why Daniel Reid took on Welfare. Either way, i can't see him being much of a challenge and the fact he vacated CRO this year already will only further reduce his chances of getting votes.

CSO looks like it'll be a good race. Vivion Grisewood is a strong candidate and i'm sure he'll go into the week as favourite. However, Lorcan O'Neill cannot be ruled out. Pretty sure Lorcan will have a strong campaign and with his experience in debating, he could be very strong at hustings. This one could really be close depending on what each candidate offers.

Communications is another tough one. I don't really know either candidate so i've yet to decide who i'm going for. However, Finn's prior involvement in An Focal will definitely give him an edge.

And then we have the big one:

Ruán - He will definitely go into the week as favourite. However, he can't rest on that. I'd expect a big campaign from him. No matter what he says, he is taking this race seriously. He wants to be re-elected. However, there is a lot of dissatisfaction with his reign this year. I know having talked to a lot of first years, they've found that the SU have done a pretty ****é job for them this year. Little in the way of decent events, a pretty much non-existent freshers week and a pretty terrible line up for Charity Week. While they may also be the work of the CSO, it will always be affiliated with the president. The gap between the SU and the students is a joke. No matter who wins, their main aim should really be to bring the SU closer to the students. You just have to look at the two SU AGM's not reaching quorum as proof of this. Having said that, he has done quite a lot of good work this year, especially with the pitches.

Paddy Rockett - Is a very strong candidate. While there seems to be a part boy image attached to him, theres little mentioning of his his spent within the Union and Class Reps. As current fundraising officer, he knows what needs to be done. Certainly from talking to him, he has big plans should he be elected, but don't all SU candidates say this? Could Paddy deal with the red tape of being SU President? If he does get elected and can manage to implement his ideas, he would be a fantastic president and would certainly leave a strong legacy behind him. Has ran many a campaign for previous SU incumbents so he definitely knows what he's doing. I'm expecting a massive campaign from him.

Louise Clohessy - I don't know her. But from what i've heard, i can't see her as being much of a threat to the stronger candidates. Possibly should've looked at going for a different position. I believe her campaign team is very weak in numbers and this will only work against her come Monday onwards. Would really need to pull a miracle out of the bag to stand a chance of being elected.

Nicholas Ryan - As nice a guy as he is, i don't believe he's Presidential material. He has plenty of ideas about how the SU should be run, however most of these are just unworkable. Theres a certain manner than the SU is run in and it will always remain the same. The SU cannot be run as a business. It'll be interesting to see what his manifesto is like. If his Facebook is to be believed, i'd say he has a very small campaign team, probably of like minded guys. This will not get you the public vote. As bad as it sounds, he really needs to stop pushing the dyslexia card.

Sharon Brosnan - My dark house for the election. It was definitely a shock that she decided to run for President. However, this was definitely decided long ago. Her manifesto http://karenkiely.com/sharonforprez/?page_id=4 looks decent but seems lacking and is quite short. Is popular amongst C&S and the wider UL community. But is UL ready for a woman president? Will certainly push Ruán and Paddy close. The 3 could end up being seperate by very little.

Hopefully theres a good voter turn out.

Exactly what work did Ruan do with the pitches? Come on Like?:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Uldrick

I feel like highlighting Dave's point here. Here's why:

DP/Welfare position.

Two options. Derek Daly or Daniel Reid.

Derek Daly's been in the DP/Welfare position on the SU executive for nine months since last July.
    Daniel Reid was in the Community Relations position on the SU executive before Christmas for a few weeks until he was deemed resigned because he didn't go to any of the weekly meetings or send apologies (he didn't actually have to go, all he had to do was let them know he wasn't going to).

Hi Everyone, 2nd year Law Plus Student here. Can I just say that on a personal level, I think Daly a very nice guy, although I can't really claim to know him that well.

However, I feel I know him now, but if it was not for the upcoming elections - I doubt I or any of my classmates would ever have heard of him. I think that the Union do not interact with 1st and 2nd year students half enough - (excluding the week before elections anyway, as they are all over us now)

I mean, what have any of the current administration done that have affected me in any way? - Not much.

But I happen to know Daly's opponent Dan Reid as he almost single handedly organised co-op for me and 6 of my classmates in East-Africa starting next May. My opinion? - he is an excellent candidate.

I see from the above post that "Sceptre" (sorry if spelled wrong!) claims that Dan missed two meetings. I happen to remember when this happened last year. And Sceptre is right. But Sceptre doesn't know why he missed the second meeting and I do.

- He missed the second by complete human error. He was at home in Killkenny helping his Gran fundraise for her work in Kenya, and he knew the meeting was at 6pm on Thurs. He got the bus on thurs morn and arrived in UL @ 2pm, only to find out that the meeting had been rescheduled back to 11am that morning via email. I think it was sent on the evening of the day before. I for one, do not check my email when I am home. I think it was horridly unfair that he was forced by the other officers and the SU constitution to resign seeing as how he intended to be there at 6pm that very day.

Dan does SOOOooo much for charities around campus that it puts the rest of us to shame. He also lived in Uganda for nearly a year and now works together with the Co-op department, Maeve, Tom and the Ghana girls to ensure that 2nd year students get the same life altering chance that they did. Dan really cares for other people and always puts their needs before his own.

He only EVER thinks of how he can help the less fortunate. In my opinion, Daly just can't compare as a Welfare Officer. It just doesn't matter how long he has been on the inner circles of the SU. - And that is my opinion.

I can't think of anyone better than Dan to be put in charge of the Welfare of others and he certainly has my vote and that of my class (and my Year if I can help it).

So I think for those of you who think that Daly will win by "A Country Mile" .. because of all those he knows ~ you should first consider that nearly everybody OUTSIDE of the SU knows Dan ~ Which amounts to a lot more than those INSIDE the SU.;)

I really hope Dan Wins. We need someone as helpful and caring as him in the SU.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

What exactly do you hope to do next year given you experience of the office this year? no promises, just generally wat you envisage as your job nxt yr.
    Generally I envisage spending the year representing student views to the University and fighting for students' best interests.

I feel this is equally as important as the drop-ins as otherwise the University would just implement plans without student input. I'm the first officer since Judith Lynch to have attended a Creche Committee meeting and given by the interest that Equality and Diversity have in my input, I appear to be the only officer to have engaged with them, which opened an opportunity for funding to a particular student group organising an event.

That is important, as is realising that being Welfare Officer is less about helping people to solve their problems and more about pointing them towards the right place and empowering them to solve the problem themselves.

I appreciate others will view my lack of "hands on" activity in events, but in reality, that is not the job of a representative, it is o get you, the student, the best possible deal and make you aware of what help there is when you come looking for it.

I was however at all 3 charity bagbacks for the RAG Charities, promoting students in a positive light.

There is probably a balance that I haven't achieved, but I am willing to stand over what I have done this year. If a student has a query, I'll answer it, if Discipline procedures are being reviewed, I'll make sure that the student view is represented, and if someone tries to shaft you, I'll be there to say no. If however the general student body doesn't come behind the Union on issues such as the increase in the price of a student card (which I still haven't received ONE email about despite asking numerous times at Class Reps Council for reps to ask their classes to get on to me, and publicising online) then there is very little I can do to show that the view I have represented at the previous meeting is actually what students think.

Why haven't I been seen at this, that, the other? Because I'm more concerned with doing my job than being a celebrity sabbat.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭lorcanthrope

WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO IN YOUR JOB THAT IS DIFFERENT AND BETTER THAN YOUR PREDECESSORS?

(Best and most original answer will get my vote)!! - I'm sick of reading the same **** every year!

Hey Dave,

My main issue with what I'm hoping to bring to the job is finding a way to make the Union relevant again - this is in tandem with everyone else who will operate in next years Executive since Communications and President would be very much involved. This relevance comes from two different problems as far as I can see.

#1: Is the Union doing what students think is relevant in the first place? There's a massive gap between the majority of students and their interaction with the Union and the few who actually gain from (and understand integrally) the workings of the Union. Thus, the Union's commitment is misplaced in my opinion on some cases. I don't promise to have all the answers to what students really need (although I have some ideas which I feel are particularly good and they can be seen on my manifesto linked in sceptre's first post) but one of my main commitments would be finding ways to reintegrate student ideas from the body as a whole back into Union policy. For example: something as simple as a questionnaire in the first week of Orientation can indicate that incoming first years (more than 1/4 of the active undergraduate population at any one time) may have much different needs than the previous years intake. Our Union needs to be dynamic and I'd be committed to finding ways to implement that dynamism and do what students really want. In the position of CSO, I'd have a good mandate to go about getting that done.

WHY WOULD I DO IT BETTER? I think I've got the appropriate background for this. I got involved in the SU by accident more so than anything else. It's never been about benefitting myself and I'm determined to try and transfer what I've learned from my more than satisfactory student experience (thanks to the SU in a decent part) to other students.

#2: Is the Union relevant to students even if they're doing the right things?
    One key problem is the stigma associated with the SU - a lot of the student population now feel disenfranchised from, and resent, any input offered to them by the Union. I think some of the best things offered by the Union this year were the more inclusive events - getting invited to get a free cup of tea is one of the only ways we seem to have left to tempt students to get involved.

HOW WOULD I MAKE IT MORE RELEVANT TO STUDENTS? We were promised last year that we'd bring the craic back on campus. I'm still not sure that we've managed this and I've a few ideas for how it could be done that I think haven't been encouraged enough. Among these are to encourage non-alcoholic events - mainly because the section of the student populace who don't drink at all tend to get ignored to a large extent. On top of this, I think it's insulting even to students who do drink to assume that they always want their entertainment to revolve around it. There's a perfectly good Common Room in the SU that is only really utilised in the evenings by Clubs and Societies people hanging around (And I have no problem with them using it - or Clubs and Societies for that matter). What I fail to see is why we can't use this in the evenings, have some light entertainment on, perhaps have a brew on. It was mentioned somewhere else here (too late for me to go checking now, think it was Sharon) that students tend to shy away from events that are organised by a Club or Society unless they're a member. This is also a difficult stigma to break down, but I think it's an essential one if you're going to bring a buzz back to the campus since I've generally found the people in C&S to be passionate and hardworking towards making events run well. We're gonna have to bring these kind of events into students' faces - I'd recommend more things like the Trampoliners in the courtyard (which was the day after my 21st and I throughly enjoyed watching them despite being very very hungover), Music Socs busking midweek, the DJ Soc's sets - these are the kind of things that make the centre of campus more interesting and these groups of people happen to be good at making it happen. Why shouldn't the Union be capable of it? As CSO, I'd do my best to tap into this skill and try to make our Union more visible!

Hope this little rant has brought some of my ideas forward. Now, I'm off to bed for a few hours. Thanks, Boards.

Lorcan O'Neill

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

I'd recommend more things like the Trampoliners in the courtyard

Oh you lick arse:D:D:D But I'll admit outdoor bounces are fun and they do seem to provide some enjoyment to others - creates a real buzz!!

Savage campaign by the way - looks savage!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

ok i dont now how to multi-quote or reply to different people at the same time, so im just goin to do it this way

Peakoutput: Had a chat with him in the lodge, told me what he hoped to get done and i found him believable.

Shzsky: Link?

ninty9er: thanks for clearin that up

ULdrick, One thing about dan, i accept its a valid reason about the human error on the 2nd meeting, but when your in a position that affects alot of people, you could at least check your e-mails?

Still havent made my mind up on the other votes, anyone have a timetable or general idea on the times for the hustings?

Just a reminder that some candidates have sent me a link to their webpages by PM, which will include more details about them and what they say they want to get done if elected. I've slotted those links into the first post of this thread.. They're worth a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 sleepy_head

I'm looking forward to the Hustings on Wednesday night as I'm caught between a few candidates.
    I like the buzz around campus about it all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Nimsay

I am just wondering am i the only person who is discusted and appalled at some candidates approach at the campaigns this year. I am seriously considering either not voting at all or spoiling my vote in protest at the complete and utter lack of profesionalism and manners of some of the candidates and their lackies!!!! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

Care to enlighten us as to what you've seen or experienced?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

How will spoiling your vote do anything? If you could outline your grievances, that'd be a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

Nimsay wrote: »
    I am just wondering am i the only person who is discusted and appalled at some candidates approach at the campaigns this year. I am seriously considering either not voting at all or spoiling my vote in protest at the complete and utter lack of profesionalism and manners of some of the candidates and their lackies!!!! :mad:

ye come on enlighten us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Agressive canvasing or..... what ?

Avoid the Red Raisins for the week, I wouldn't recommend coming into college on Thursday and you should probably avoid outside the library too for the week.

Also you should be happy that so many people are showing an interest in Student Government, without the work of the Sabats every year we wouldn't have as good an experience of college, if the price you pay for Shag Week, Financial Aid and Childcare Bursaries is one week where the next generation can try and get you interested then you should at least be a slight bit grateful.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 kingkane

This is a list of the candidates for UL Students' Union elections at close of nominations on Friday 5 March 2010.

Elections will take place on Thursday 11 March. I'll edit in details of polling hours and stations when I get them.

If candidates have a webpage and let me know, I'll edit in one link per candidate to an official webpage, bebo or facebook page (one per candidate) if they let me know by PM at any point during the week. Additionally I will include details of any blogs declared as independent if I'm informed of them.

any word on if we might be getting some of the usual blog commentary and runners and riders efforts of previous years?

kingkane wrote: »
    any word on if we might be getting some of the usual blog commentary and runners and riders efforts of previous years?
    Right now, don't know. I know there are one or two blogs about, I've emailed the ones I know about to see if they want to be listed. By tomorrow I'll probably list them either way as two are continuations from last year and three of the four we had were independent and the fourth (supposedly independent but blatantly partisan) has been deleted by the author and the person responsible poked with pointy sticks repeatedly since for being dumb enough to get caught typing it in the library.
    I am seriously considering either not voting at all or spoiling my vote in protest at the complete and utter lack of profesionalism and manners of some of the candidates and their lackies!!!! :mad:
    None of them are professionals.

But I'm curious as to specifics. Especially as manners are cheap. A general rant with no specifics isn't worth very much though.

(oh, merging with the other thread btw, let's see how we get on with that)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Might have been better as a seperate issue sceptre? Complaints versus the CSO as distinct from the Elections themselves? It's likely a moot point in any case as I can't see the OP of that thread coming back to expand upon his/her grievances.

cson wrote: »
    Might have been better as a seperate issue sceptre? Complaints versus the CSO as distinct from the Elections themselves? It's likely a moot point in any case as I can't see the OP of that thread coming back to expand upon his/her grievances.
    I'd completely agree but it's not about the CSO. It's about the election candidates and their election campaigns. I had to read it twice myself to make sure. If Nimsay wants to clarify anything that'd be cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

I graduated last year and along with over half my class have emmigrated to get work! I know the SU can't do much about that though!

The one thing I've noticed over here (US) is that the atmosphere on campus is much worse than at home. I work and live right by two very large university campuses (~40,000) and I have a few friends who are students, although that could be to do with the higher drinking age, and the fact that the campus isn't as isolated as UL.

Anyway the one thing I've noticed here is that university spirit is huge, on game days (American football last semester, basketball this semester) they manage to fill the football stadium downtown with students, and everyone is out in the school colours during the week. I don't know if it's even possible to buy a UL jersey and I only have a rough idea of the colours from the 2 flag poles at the main gate.

The SU had been talking about getting some atmosphere back into the campus since I was in first year and this would be a great way to do it. Is there something standing in the way of this that I don't know about??

I think the SU should really try to get people to come out and support the University teams, most people probably don't even realise that UL made it to the Fitzgibbon cup final last year, I definitely didn't hear much about it and that's a disgrace. Now I know that the GAA can be a bit cliquey and closed off but I'm surprised they haven't tried to increase ticket revenue supporters coming to the games. :pac:

Look at the pride we all have in our counties during the Championship or even our local club championships, I think trying to instill that pride in the University populace would be a good thing. I understand that there's loads of different teams that we should have pride in, but I think something like the existing GAA championship should appeal to everyone as our national sport and a good one to represent our University. Something as simple as selling cheapo UL scarves or something just to show the colours around campus and trying to promote a match or two providing tickets, buses etc.

Advertisement