Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ULSU Elections 2010 (Voting Thursday March 11)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭cson

sceptre wrote: »
    I'd completely agree but it's not about the CSO. It's about the election candidates and their election campaigns. I had to read it twice myself to make sure. If Nimsay wants to clarify anything that'd be cool.

****! My bad. Completely thought it was about the CSO incumbent. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Nockz

None of them are professionals.

But I'm curious as to specifics. Especially as manners are cheap. A general rant with no specifics isn't worth very much though.

(oh, merging with the other thread btw, let's see how we get on with that)

The constant pestering is driving me up the wall to be honest. Not the candidate's faults (bar one or two) but the invites on facebook, the messages that engulf my home page, the people round campus saying to vote for whoever, the flyers gone to waste in my pockets... I am aware of many people who are steering clear of Red Raisins for a week, often saying Subway just isn't worth the hastle.

The most shocking and appalling thing I witnessed today was one eager supporter talking to two girls as they were leaving the RR... but he handed them the flyers as they went into the ladies room... the door was open, they thought they were free.... I just lost the need to vote. I had said to myself that whoever doesn't flood me with bombardments of invitations to vote for so-and-so would get my vote... Is there a bag of Doritos running this year? They haven't bothered me at all.

I'll edit my post if I crossed a line. I am not aligned to any campaigner and I haven't mentioned any names so hopefully it was grand. Just my two cents. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Nockz wrote: »
    I'll edit my post if I crossed a line.
    Not at all:) Actually you've a long way to go before you reach that line.
    kingkane wrote: »
    any word on if we might be getting some of the usual blog commentary and runners and riders efforts of previous years?
    I've had two answers back so far, blogs added in the next post as well as at the start of this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

cson wrote: »
    How will spoiling your vote do anything? If you could outline your grievances, that'd be a start.

Given that it's essentially the same as not voting at all not a whole lot, on the other hand it could be used to register dissatisfaction will all of the available candidates.

I'm going to leave it to someone who is more familiar with politics than me to correct the assumption I've made above. I should probably go to bed since I've got to go to the airport soon.

Three blogs so far:

The UL Grapevine
    Independent blog from last year. Confirmed as continuing for this year's elections, one post so far, apparently more to follow.

The UL Story
    Independent blog from last year. Confirmed as continuing for this year's elections, one post so far, apparently more to follow.

UL Vote for Me
    Independent blog run for the past few years. Not confirmed as continuing for this year's elections yet but we're hopeful of a post or two during the week.

All the above tend to take a whimsical view of the elections as well as offering some good analysis. They're worth a read as the week progresses, at least based on previous contributions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Nimsay

Sorry for being vague, my problem is with some of the candidates themselves, while some of their ideas might be good they are going about it the wrong way, one candidate in particular has managed to piss off alot of voters.

I walked through the red raisins yesterday and was stopped in my tracks and basically not aloud to go untill i had 'admired' the stand and taken 52 friggin leaflets. I have no problem with the sabbat elections in fact i love them and think it is a great opportunity for all of the student body but is there a need to be so in your face and brash, its like a badly made game show in red raiains with all the noise, colours and bits of paper and sweets being thrown at you.

Also the big posters in the SU courtyard are a disgrace! I thought they were not aloud to be there???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

spideog7 wrote: »
    I graduated last year and along with over half my class have emmigrated to get work! I know the SU can't do much about that though!

The one thing I've noticed over here (US) is that the atmosphere on campus is much worse than at home. I work and live right by two very large university campuses (~40,000) and I have a few friends who are students, although that could be to do with the higher drinking age, and the fact that the campus isn't as isolated as UL.

Anyway the one thing I've noticed here is that university spirit is huge, on game days (American football last semester, basketball this semester) they manage to fill the football stadium downtown with students, and everyone is out in the school colours during the week. I don't know if it's even possible to buy a UL jersey and I only have a rough idea of the colours from the 2 flag poles at the main gate.

The SU had been talking about getting some atmosphere back into the campus since I was in first year and this would be a great way to do it. Is there something standing in the way of this that I don't know about??

I think the SU should really try to get people to come out and support the University teams, most people probably don't even realise that UL made it to the Fitzgibbon cup final last year, I definitely didn't hear much about it and that's a disgrace. Now I know that the GAA can be a bit cliquey and closed off but I'm surprised they haven't tried to increase ticket revenue supporters coming to the games. :pac:

Look at the pride we all have in our counties during the Championship or even our local club championships, I think trying to instill that pride in the University populace would be a good thing. I understand that there's loads of different teams that we should have pride in, but I think something like the existing GAA championship should appeal to everyone as our national sport and a good one to represent our University. Something as simple as selling cheapo UL scarves or something just to show the colours around campus and trying to promote a match or two providing tickets, buses etc.

I think you make a good point- but I'm not sure if that's related fully with the elections. However, I think it's something that can be addressed by the SU executive in the future. I did see in the latest An Focal, an article about building a UL"brand", like you see in the US and Canada, where you see (for instance) HICK STATE TRAILERTRASH on just about every sort of merchandise possible. There is a name and logo selected, and my opinion on what was selected is that it doesn't "fit" the university well. But whatever it is, if the merchandise looks good, people will wear it, so there's an income strem for UL or ULSU, which can only be a good thing.

I think one think about the pride that people have towards their marquee sports teams is that it really couldn't be replicated here because there is really no connection between people and their university. From my experience, people in the US and Canada don't travel across the country (by and large, I know there are exceptions) to attend college. It's an absolutely vast place, so their local college could be 150-200 miles away. Here, county allegiances are far stronger. You see it when we have "county colours" night. It would be a very difficult thing to do here; not something that could be done quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Just a reminder that some candidates have sent me a link to their webpages by PM, which will include more details about them and what they say they want to get done if elected. I've slotted those links into the first post of this thread.. They're worth a look.
    Whoops sorry. thanks

Regarding the campaigns; I'm not around this year but I can be pretty sure the lollipop/chomp method of attaining votes still abounds. This somewhat irks me; surely there is morve innovative ways of vote grabbing than buying people off with sweets?

Actually, don't answer that. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 obliviously

Hi all,

just picked up ruans manifesto....some interesting points from a "good guy"

• Subway & Starbucks.
    • Cappavilla Shop.
    • Campaigned against fees. We still have no fees!
    subway and starbucks was planned by campbells over 12 months ago...and nothing to do with the union in even consultation

the cappavilla shop was being fitted 12 months ago

what campaign against fees.....what campaigns?????

other stuff about late bars...thats the stables not the union

and finally i didn't like the mail announcing the rag week line up last friday from ruan and not aoife r...very sneaky.....i think we have a puppet pres perhaps???????

comments please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

subway and starbucks was planned by campbells over 12 months ago...and nothing to do with the union in even consultation

THis is not true, frankly the Union has been protesting against Campbells for a long time on the lack of choice and the price being paid by students.
    The Union has been lobbying for changes here for a long time, hence the Campbells Boycott era of St John !!
    the cappavilla shop was being fitted 12 months ago

As a member of the Shop Board (Director) this is true, however, Ruan became a Director as well when he was elected president - we have come up against a lot of problems with the shop - hence its delayed opening but h has worked hard to work through the issues. (I'll give the man credit where its due).
    what campaign against fees.....what campaigns?????

True........ its been non existant this year.

DJCR wrote: »

True........ its been non existant this year.

It's been a pretty non existent campaign by the Government in that regard this year too. It'll be introduced by stealth in the next budget I'm guessing. In any case; fees are there already in everything but name - 'registration fee' of more than €1500 irrc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 obliviously

DJCR wrote: »
    THis is not true, frankly the Union has been protesting against Campbells for a long time on the lack of choice and the price being paid by students.

you are incorrect. the union wanted subway themselves but its a campbells gig

and campbells did not bow down to the union and provide more choice...it's a profit making business venture in response to a downturn in trade .

why would the union promote competition against the hot chicken roll empire?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭VivGrise

Manifesto
    Entertainment
    Bring back gigs for €5 – Feckin Fivers
    It’s a recession, students just don’t have the money to be spending on entertainment, I want to bring back gigs for only €5, like there used to be! It can be done like what I have shown already this year with the Hardy Bucks. It was only €5 and there was a late bar, a DJ and an electric atmosphere! AND the rugby club made a profit from it. What more could you want?
    Alcohol Free Alternatives
    This is one area I want to build on, Fergal has made great strides this year with many great acts in the Jean Monnet, and I want to improve on this. I would also like to get in other acts to play in the Students Union common room.
    Establish link with Dolans – Buses to town for gigs
    Dolans is one of the best venues in Ireland, and we should have a link with them at the very least, and even a bus service to and from gigs. Some of the best artists in the world play there, yet how many U.L. students even know about it?
    60 minute sessions
    Ok this is a mental idea that involves you signing up at the start of the year with nothing but your phone number. Then every once in a while, a text is sent out to everyone who signed up saying be at the Stables Arch in 60 minutes. There is a bus there waiting to take everyone on a Mystery tour for the night. Anyone who is late then gets to drink in the stables and hit the town after. A great way to meet loads of new people and to have a brilliant night out!
    YouTube Parties (Big screen)
    The Union has a massive blow up cinema screen and it is hardly ever used, I want to start showing movies in the courtyard, and ever have a YouTube party, where students submit funny clips and they are all shown on the big screen while having a few beers and a BBQ!
    Bowling Tournaments – Bus to and from the bowling alley
    Limerick has a wealth of facilities that students don’t use, such as the bowling alley. I would like to organise a bowling tournament and get students bussed out to the bowling alley and back. Bowling is one of the best ways to have fun without drinking alcohol, and I would love to see more students taking advantage of the great facilities on offer.
    BYOB gigs
    When was the last time you were at a gig where you could bring what ever alcohol you want and listen to some great tunes at the same time??? I want to start doing Bring Your Own Beer gigs where you pay €5 cover charge at the door for charity, and then you get to listen to some good music, chat with friends and not worry about the Guards knocking on your door!
    Oktoberfest - Bigger and Better
    It has the potential to being one of the best events of the year; I want to see the courtyard full with benches, with students drinking traditional German beer, while serving traditional German food- sauerkraut, frankfurters the lot!
    International Week
    Bigger Gigs
    I want to have larger acts in U.L., and bigger concerts. Don Barry has given the go ahead for a gig to take place on the lawn outside Plassey house- How cool would it be to dance your heart out with 3000 other students on the presidents lawn!!!
    Break a Guinness World Record
    I want U.L. to be in the Guinness Book of World Records again this year, and I would love to get as many students involved as possible while also raising money for charity!
    Buses to Magners league matches, Combat zone parties…Ticket links for international matches

Campaigns
    SHAG Week
    Are you sick of getting a SHAG pack and just taking the condoms out and throwing away the rest? How about an actual demonstration and some mad karma sutra display in the main courtyard something mental to keep the missus/mister or whoever happy?!? Watch the peeps in the sperm costumes get it on in 20 different positions!
    Mental Health Week
    Sometimes we neglect our mental health until it becomes a bigger issue. With regular gigs events and awareness campaigns, I plan to improve the mental health of our students by promoting talking, activity and information. A problem shared is a problem halved. Don’t ignore the elephant in the corner; give it a kick up the hole!
    Enviro – week
    The University needs to review its environmental policy. Every night lights are left on in the student villages and all the University buildings. I propose they install motion sensors to the common hallways in student villages like they do in other colleges, and also in the main buildings. This would cut costs and also help the University be more environmentally friendly.
    Know YOUR Union Campaign -AUnion for everybody
    Not enough people actually know what the Student Union does for them, and don’t know that it is the place to go when they have a problem. If given the chance I would promote the Union to the best of my ability, I would do house calls, leaflet drops, e-mails, lecture addresses, social networking sites – the lot!
    Accommodation Campaigns
    Rent has come down across the country but has remained the same in the accommodation on campus. I want to lobby to have the cost of accommodation reduced on campus.
    Road safety week
    This was a brilliant event a couple of years ago and I’m sure it will be again this year! If elected I promise to build on the work of my predecessors’ work and have the road safety campaign even bigger next year!
    Placement protest
    The co-op and the teaching practice office are not being run to its full potential and I want to highlight this by protesting and petitioning the University for better standards.
    Pitches Protest
    I want to make sure that the fields are properly looked after and that students interests are looked after. As a member of the men’s rugby club I have seen how bad the ground gets, and I know the safety threat posed by inadequate ground.
    REG fee’s
    REG fees have increased and are set to increase with sly charges such as the student card increase and a transcript now costs €10, change of module costs €10 and late registration is set to increase from €30 to €90. Why aren’t the Union organising active protests against this, because if you let them get away with increases here and there they will keep screwing students. I will not let any increase go unprotected, and I will promise to get petitions, letters sent to T.D.’s and local and national coverage to highlight the issues!

Services
    · Suggestion Box outside every office –
    Every office in the union needs improving, and I want the students to suggest how the Union can be improved. Have an incentive such as best suggestion wins a prize every week!
    · Day link/exam bus service
    I want a bus service to shuttle students to exams during exam week. They do it in U.C.D, why can’t they do it here? There is nothing worse than having to do an exam when you are soaking wet or freezing cold!
    · Part time work service
    I want any part time job openings to be advertised on the ULSU website or else on a notice board on campus, so that students can apply for some part time work!
    · Big SWAP meet in EGO 10
    I want to have a huge swap meet on campus where anyone can come along and sell or swap old books, collectables- whatever!

· Phone charger service
    I want to have a service where if you forget your phone charger you can get a loan off of us in the Students Union for the week!
    These are some of my ideas for next year if given the chance to represent the students of ul. I apologise for my lack of activity online, I am more of a "on the ground" candidate! If anyone has any questions, feel free to post here i'll be more than happy to answer any questions! :D

Sorry Forgot my security!

Security
    I want to do more than just say I will highlight areas of poor lighting, i want to paint any area's that have poor lighting with glow in the dark paint so that the University and the county council will have to do something about it.

Laptop locks
    I want the library to make it so the desks can take laptop locks. Then i want to but in bulk laptop locks and sell them at cost price in the S.U. shop or in the bike shop. Pass the savings onto the students!

Impressive manifesto to be fair. Though I would like to hear how you intend paying for all the above listed. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

cson wrote: »
    Impressive manifesto to be fair. Though I would like to hear how you intend paying for all the above listed. ;)

there is nothing there that is particularly expensive most seem cost neutral to me

as far as the pitches and otehr university responsilbities the moeny is left to them to provide we just need to be very clear on what we need

i like this manifesto well done

Well the entertainments will pay for themselves. If you can guarantee a pub/club/bowling alley 50-60 people, they will give you a discount. I brought a bus load of people to Galway on a class party and for €20 they got free food in a pub in gort, free food in a pub in Galway, rwo free bottles of champaigne and a free shot for everyone. If someone bothers to actually ring the pubs and ASK for free stuff, they usually will give it.

Campaigns

It doesn't cost a lot to run an effective campaign. A bit of elbow grease and some dedicated people and most important, SABBATS actually out there on the ground. There is a budget there for CSO and you can tie it in with othere offices and split the cost. e.g. Mental health/ SHAG week welfare. FEE's protest, President etc....

Services

Phone charger service, donations from students, mobile phone shops etc. Again a bit of work to get the chargers in the initial set up, after that its just a matter of getting the new chargers in as the newer model phones come out.

Laptop locks

Paid for by students who buy the locks. I'll drill the holes for them myself if i have to! Superserious!

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

you are incorrect. the union wanted subway themselves but its a campbells gig

and campbells did not bow down to the union and provide more choice...it's a profit making business venture in response to a downturn in trade .

why would the union promote competition against the hot chicken roll empire?????

Yes......... Campbells finally gave in - but I put it to you.

Campbells have a monopoly on campus apart from the Club trio and the Paddocks (Won't include SU shops as they are not restos and you can't sit down at them the best of days - different market).

Why if you have a monopoly would you bother changing anything.... especially when you own all the competitors and are making a substantial profit (Sort of like Unilever and the washing powder market).

Diversification is a good strategy (but wait isn't that what the SU was looking for) as well as a good pricing strategy (Generally higher due to the fact they have monopolised the campus) except with continued lobbying we now have the student special each day in the main canteen, the student lunch box special in the KBS etc.

I mean, when the KBS resto was up for tender Campbells got it as they were the only ones to apply for it - much to the dismay of the Su and look at whats happened now - the other things in there are sooooooooo expensive.

The fact is Campbells main source of income are students - that makes them a major stakeholder - piss them off and your ****ed - if you still think I'm wrong I'm sure you can find minutes to Class Reps council minutes, SU Exec minutes even KBS minutes where I was there when it was mentioned that the SU were not in favour of offering Campbells the tender.

When you read these, then come back and tell me I made it up!!

Hustings:

Come see the candidates speak and offer their views in a public debate! Ask the candidates questions in a public setting! Don't let them wriggle away with just a printed manifesto, come and see whether they're actually worth voting for! Don't be shy about dropping in and out to the hustings when you can, it's up to the candidates to sell themselves and convince you they deserve your vote!

Wednesday March 10, starting at 6pm in the Jonathan Swift Lecture Theatre (B-1023, just next to the main Red Raisins canteen.)

Where you can vote:

All voting wil take place on Thursday March 11.

Polling stations are:

SU Photocopying Room (7:30am - 6:30pm)
    KBS (9am -5pm)
    Health Sciences building (9am -5pm)
    Red Raisins Canteen (9am -5pm)
    Library (9am -5pm)

Count follows in the SU Common Room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 quess who?

anyone else sick of the Paddy Rockett campaigners? Talk about in your face!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

quess who? wrote: »
    anyone else sick of the Paddy Rockett campaigners? Talk about in your face!

Dunno about in your face, but I am curious what the ERB are doing regarding his alleged antics around campus? I have heard numerous complaints on the grapevine regarding his behaviour and his alleged flouting of the campaigning rules and I have to ask, what is the union doing? I mean come on here people, there are rules for a reason right?

I ran last year. I broke a rule. I was hauled in front of the ERB. I pointed out logically how I hadn't lied, I just hadn't had al my material confirmed by the returning officer. And as a result I had a very very heated discussion with your current President and an extremely irate member of the ERB.

I was told that I would lose my €40 deposit. A small loss, but still it hurt as it indicated I had not run a fair campaign, a fact which I still dispute.

With his alleged litany of breaches of the rulebook this year, what action, if any has been taken against his campaign?

And if no action has been taken against that candidate, then does that mean that all other candidates are essentially free to do whatever they want? Without any fear of reprisal?

constantg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Concy

Anyone sick of the political bigwigs around the college today? Thought that the Fianna Fail boys were running for election on their own opinions without involving their political parties?

Rockett for prez, theres gonna be a new sheriff in town boys :p

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

Don Barry has given the go ahead for a gig to take place on the lawn outside Plassey house- How cool would it be to dance your heart out with 3000 other students on the presidents lawn!!!

I'm sorry I don't recall such an anouncement ever being made Viv? Can you please clarify when this statement referring to the world's biggest house party was made by the UL President?

constantg wrote: »
    Dunno about in your face, but I am curious what the ERB are doing regarding his alleged antics around campus? I have heard numerous complaints on the grapevine regarding his behaviour and his alleged flouting of the campaigning rules and I have to ask, what is the union doing? I mean come on here people, there are rules for a reason right?

I ran last year. I broke a rule. I was hauled in front of the ERB. I pointed out logically how I hadn't lied, I just hadn't had al my material confirmed by the returning officer. And as a result I had a very very heated discussion with your current President and an extremely irate member of the ERB.

I was told that I would lose my €40 deposit. A small loss, but still it hurt as it indicated I had not run a fair campaign, a fact which I still dispute.

With his alleged litany of breaches of the rulebook this year, what action, if any has been taken against his campaign?

And if no action has been taken against that candidate, then does that mean that all other candidates are essentially free to do whatever they want? Without any fear of reprisal?

constantg

I'm intrigued, enlighten us with these breaking of the rules or forever hold your peace :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭entropic

Concy wrote: »
    I'm intrigued, enlighten us with these breaking of the rules or forever hold your peace :D

Every campaign had been put on a last warning and I would imagine it's because of Paddy. What I know he has done is used stickers, tried to use chalk(but was caught) and had someone in their campaign shirt in the ULSU shop shouting "Vote Paddy". Then there is the rumour that he started campaigning before the nominations opened.

The only other campaign to violate rules was told and had it changed straight away and was simply a lack of commuinication between the campaign manager and those putting up posters.

sounds like paddy should be kicked out of the race alright

however, i think everyone needs to stop saying arent you sick of this and sick of that either put up what you think they have done wrong and be prepared to back it up if they say you are wrong or dont say anything at all. all this inuendo and suggestion is really annoying

entropic wrote: »
    Every campaign had been put on a last warning and I would imagine it's because of Paddy. What I know he has done is used stickers, tried to use chalk(but was caught) and had someone in their campaign shirt in the ULSU shop shouting "Vote Paddy". Then there is the rumour that he started campaigning before the nominations opened.

The only other campaign to violate rules was told and had it changed straight away and was simply a lack of commuinication between the campaign manager and those putting up posters.

Funny how Paddys SUPPOSED ignorance of the rules was intentional but the other candidate was a 'misunderstanding'?

Also I thought it was stated that candidates shouldn't be bad-mouthed via speculation or opinions??!!

constantg wrote: »
    I'm sorry I don't recall such an anouncement ever being made Viv? Can you please clarify when this statement referring to the world's biggest house party was made by the UL President?

How can it be a house party when its on a lawn

And Don Barry told my campaign manager when he was president that in theory, if organised properly he would have no problem with a gig on Plassey lawn.

Now I am the person that is willing to organise such a gig.

Plastic flooring, fencing, the stage they use for gigs in the courtyard, security, etc....

If you can have a bigger venue, you can sell more tickets, have econimies of scale and have bigger bands and sell more tickets ... and on and on!

It is possible,

vote Vivion Grisewood #1

VivGrise wrote: »
    And Don Barry told my campaign manager when he was president that in theory, if organised properly he would have no problem with a gig on Plassey lawn.

ah right so its hearsay and nothing official? a little misleading of your manifesto then but i still like it overall and would love to have a gig on the lawn as you say

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭entropic

Concy wrote: »
    [/I]

Funny how Paddys SUPPOSED ignorance of the rules was intentional but the other candidate was a 'misunderstanding'?

Also I thought it was stated that candidates shouldn't be bad-mouthed via speculation or opinions??!!

Well with Paddy it has been mutiple things and two where he was caught red handed and knew the rules. The person in the shop probably was a miscommuinication with his campaigners.

Also I am not a candidate but you have reminded me of the rules. I am activly campaigning for Sharon Brosnan, but these are all my own opinions and not hers.

Advertisement