Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ULSU Elections 2010 (Voting Thursday March 11)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

entropic wrote: »
    am activly campaigning for Sharon Brosnan, but these are all my own opinions and not hers.

haha sounds like every campaign is as bad as the next this year you shouldnt be commenting on this at all for your candidates sake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭entropic

PeakOutput wrote: »
    haha sounds like every campaign is as bad as the next this year you shouldnt be commenting on this at all for your candidates sake

Yeah I know but this is my opinion and I have had candidates in elections cone to me asking to make a formal complaint that aren't even in the presidental one.

I am pretty sure I'm feeding the troll but what can you do when your opinionated and stubborn :P

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

Concy wrote: »
    Anyone sick of the political bigwigs around the college today? Thought that the Fianna Fail boys were running for election on their own opinions without involving their political parties?

Rockett for prez, theres gonna be a new sheriff in town boys :p
    paddy would have got my vote but he is just to childish in his campaining
    he has good ideas but i feel that he wouldnt be able to cope with the amount of meetings the presadent has to go to

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Susicia

mayo_lad wrote: »
    he has good ideas but i feel that he wouldnt be able to cope with the amount of meetings the presadent has to go to

My problem with Paddy's comapaign is I don't want to be part of the year that made it acceptible, expected and possibly even "mandatory" to behave in this way in order to be elected to the Union.

I have a lot of respect for the institution and don't want to cause election week to just be about who is the biggest, loudest or spends the most money.

Quite frankly I feel pretty insulted that as a voter I'm expected to fall for these gimicks suitable for 5 year olds, not a Univeristy election where I'm putting my happiness and fun into these peoples hands for the next year.

Roll on Day 3 of elections...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Concy

Paddy is bringing the buzz back into college..I can't see the logic in voting for a political affiliated candidate who feeds the students what they want to hear, whilst knowing the goals are unattainable..If memory serves me correctly, what happened to the 24 hour library system which was promised by our current president?? Paddy provides calculated,innovative ideas which are attainable, and thats enough to warrant my vote

:p

• Advertisement

ya there really has to be a limit put on spending from now on
    i herd paddy spent over a grand on his one like

Paddy is bringing the buzz back into college..

:p

If bringing the buzz back tinto collage means the kind of techniques that are being used in his campaign this week I'd rather not the buz.

Susicia wrote: »
    If bringing the buzz back tinto collage means the kind of techniques that are being used in his campaign this week I'd rather not the buz.

Back into the monotonous herd of sheep for you so ;)

Maybe you would rather the techniques of false promises which were fed to us last year by the current president, as already stated the 24 hour library that never happened

ya there really has to be a limit put on spending from now on
    i herd paddy spent over a grand on his one like

Most successful campaigns consist of more than a grand being spent, last years runner up even spent over a grand

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

Most successful campaigns consist of more than a grand being spent, last years runner up even spent over a grand

We had a grand???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 AlistairOvereem

bazkennedy wrote: »
    We had a grand???

i would have thought something a little closer to two digits.....;)

Back into the monotonous herd of sheep for you so ;)

monotonous herd of sheep for you "too" so, if the library is your biggest problem with the last year. ;-)

Personally that was no where near on my list of things the Prez could improve on however contrasting between this year and the way our current President conducted himself during elections last year was pretty differnt, showing that you dont havto go dancing or "bending" rules of "fair play" just to get elected. And I'm I saying this while I have no intention of voting for him, I can still be nice. :-)

This is supposed to be a fun, busy week and now because of the outragous money amounts that are being rumoured being spent could potentialy cause several candidates to crack with trying to keep up, It aint fair and we're not politicians, so all hope is not yet lost for the persuit of fairness!

Uni is the last place in the world where money doesnt talk, coz we're all happily poor! :-) I'm not contributing to this changing any time soon.

i would have thought something a little closer to two digits.....;)
    i would have thought it was what ever u could get ut hands on for free

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

is there a list of dos and donts for candiates. I would have thought that coming into a lecture theatre before a lecture to canvass would not be allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

is there a list of dos and donts for candiates. I would have thought that coming into a lecture theatre before a lecture to canvass would not be allowed.

There's the ulsu consitution and a list of rules issued by the election and referenda board (erb) which you get when you get a nomination form

I don't think there's every been a rule about lecture addresses altho the unwritten rule is that you need the lecturer's permission first

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

constantg wrote: »
    Dunno about in your face, but I am curious what the ERB are doing regarding his alleged antics around campus?

The ERB are not police and we are completely outnumbered by the amount of people campaigning for each team. We can't be following everybody around making sure everyone is playing by the rules.

Until we receive an official complaint we can't do anything. There's an awful lot of unofficial complaining going on but no one seems to want to take it further.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Nockz

I will probably only vote for a few of the positions if at all this time around. Tell me, what is there in the way of payment for elected candidates if any? Also, were they given money to spend on campaigning by the SU or some ther body?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 kingkane

That has been a practice since even I ran for a ULSU position which was around the time it wasn't even called ULSU.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

i would have thought something a little closer to two digits.....wink.gif

Well it was probably closer to about €1.5k to be honest with you!!! Don't you remember the lots of lollipops being given out during RAG week by moi????

I still have some of them!!!

Also, your campaign manager being told by the President, Viv really? Ifsuch a thing had been said then we'd probably have heard by now. I can safely say I have never heard of that ever being mentioned. Prove it or lose it I say mate......

Seriously though, so if we emailed the President's office hed back your claim up 100%?

And you've neverhad a house part spill out on to the front lawn :)

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭VivGrise

constantg wrote: »
    Well it was probably closer to about €1.5k to be honest with you!!! Don't you remember the lots of lollipops being given out during RAG week by moi????

I still have some of them!!!

Also, your campaign manager being told by the President, Viv really? Ifsuch a thing had been said then we'd probably have heard by now. I can safely say I have never heard of that ever being mentioned. Prove it or lose it I say mate......

Seriously though, so if we emailed the President's office hed back your claim up 100%?

And you've neverhad a house part spill out on to the front lawn :)

Pa O' Brien is my campaign manager, and he doesn't lie.

Do you not think it could be achieved? Any one who says no is obviously a pessimist and not willing to work for anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Who looks like the favourite to win the Presidental Election (:p) at the moment?

A lot of people are pissed off with Paddy Rockett's campaign I hear.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Its getting a bit personal in here. Keep to the politics please.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Anyone sick of the political bigwigs around the college today? Thought that the Fianna Fail boys were running for election on their own opinions without involving their political parties?
    If that's directed at me I'd like to know what you're on about. Otherwise I can't respond, but since you're banned you might come and let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

ninty9er wrote: »
    but since you're banned

The forum member in question isn't banned. A red card for acting the insulting monkey isn't a ban.

Are there bigwigs wandering around then?

Bigwig was cool in Watership Down. Way better than Fiver

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

only came back yesterday to see how annoyin the campaigns are, walked through red raisens and courtyard today and must of ended up with half a tree of paper pushed into my hand along with a vote..... huever

think rockett might be shooting himself in the foot here, his campaign is tickin loads off. then again , hes gettin all the attention too so..... :confused:

not seein anyone out for louise or sharon either, they still campaigning?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Aside from the few campaigners at lectures and paddy rocket in his red van at the bus stop, haven't been bothered by any candidates.

when I say at the bus stop i mean it was me at the bus stop with him driving past.

My mammy told me not to take sweets off strangers, good advice that.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭getonmyhorse

After monitoring this forum about the elections it seems to me that there seems to be a campaign with a hidden agenda, some people seem to be trying to keep certain people out of the s.u. I think this forum has been incredibly unfair on paddy rockett in fairness to him, even if you think his campaign is annoying or not its creative! Ruan seems to be running a campaign set on slating paddy! And with Paddys 4 years experience of the s.u. he knows what has to be done, hes a vocal man with big plans and there would be nothing wrong with a change of face in there! Even so i think its a two horse race for presidency i think it could swing paddys way after hustings!

Im affiliating myself to paddy rockett!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

After monitoring this forum about the elections it seems to me that there seems to be a campaign with a hidden agenda, some people seem to be trying to keep certain people out of the s.u.
    As many people who have posted here have declared their affiliations as the thread rules require, I'd say that there's little hidden about very much and that there's an agenda to a lot of what some people are posting. For campaigners, some of whom are posting on this thread, elections are very much about keeping others out of the SU as opposed to their own candidate that they want in.

That tends to be how elections work:)

I see you didn't declare any affiliation yourself but other people with one have.

Over half way through, here's a list of candidates who have directly engaged themselves here in the UL forum in some way since nominations closed:

Presidential candidates:
    Sharon Brosnan

DP/Welfare candidates:
    Derek Daly

Education candidates:
    Aoife Finnerty (deemed elected - her posts are in the other thread I closed)

CSO:
    Lorcan O'Neill
    Vivion Grisewood

Communications:
    Neither

Any missing candidates who feel like joining in in some small direct way, you're more than welcome to do so.

Reminder that Hustings are at 6pm this evening in the Jonathan Swift.

Also, as I'm atom subscribed to the election blogs listed in post 2 and hence get notifications, some of them have some interesting updates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Rockett_4_Prez

hi everyone - just like to clarify a few issus that i have read today firstly here is my manifesto feel free to read it - I hope you find it detailed and informative!

http://paddyrockett4president.blogspot.com/

feel free to ask any questions here I will gladly answer them

Now just to clarify a few issues

After many meetings with the ERB they have said that we are not BREAKING ANY RULES WHATSOEVER - I'm very proud of the campaign team i have and of the campaign we are running.

If anyone would like to clarify this with the ERB please do so - for any real election campaign there will be rumours and lies - as a poster has said on this forum 'so is the nature of politics' - we have plaayed it clean for the whole week ensureing what we did was cleared by the ERB first.

I am however concerned with the ammount of negativity this year - it seems that it runs on an individual level this week and as such seems so much more personal - not about what great things any of the candidates can bring to the various positions.

With regards to GLEE and gold digger the main aim was to prove that the union can have a voice ( however trivial or important the topic could be) - with regards to people saying it is 'in your face' - we are trying to drum up support. MY team are not aggressive in their campaigning if anything we have had comments that we are some of the most approchable which i can only commend my team for

I am willing to answer any questions relavant to our activity - but will you forgive me for saying - its all well and good having the typical method of insulting someone behind there back or without a face to face meeting does not allow for professional constructivisim - we have been fun, we have been colourful and at the end of the day for a new president to be elected new ideas based on fact and relevance to our students is what is important this year but the glee club is an innovative means of getting the word out there that there can be a more active UNION THIS YEAR!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭getonmyhorse

http://ulgrapevine.blogspot.com/
    At UL it's been different for a few years as the Student Union have to approve all election material and SU General Manager Thomas Costello has usually laid down a no fist on anything that might rip off someone else's trademark or creation. Two years ago, the entire campaign plan of one candidate for Education Officer had to be thrown out when he didn't like candidate Diarmuid Healy using Time Magazine's look for his campaign, down to replicating the front page as a poster. Bad boy Healy was sent away to get the permission of Time Warner to use their look. Good luck with that mate.

So we're a bit confused that Ruan Dillon McLoughlin's campaign is allowed to rip off the BBC by repeatedly using images of speedy driver The Stig in his campaign, from multiple posters down to creating a facebook profile that purports to be The Stig supporting him.While the SU may think they're immune from this, it still makes us wonder. Is this stuff only approved for the candidates they like?

Questions, questions... probably not going to be answered as long as the results are what they want...

Seems im not the only one that thinks theres an inside campaign running

Advertisement