Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ULSU Elections 2010 (Voting Thursday March 11)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Ms. Education

At UL it's been different for a few years as the Student Union have to approve all election material and SU General Manager Thomas Costello has usually laid down a no fist on anything that might rip off someone else's trademark or creation. Two years ago, the entire campaign plan of one candidate for Education Officer had to be thrown out when he didn't like candidate Diarmuid Healy using Time Magazine's look for his campaign, down to replicating the front page as a poster. Bad boy Healy was sent away to get the permission of Time Warner to use their look. Good luck with that mate.

So we're a bit confused that Ruan Dillon McLoughlin's campaign is allowed to rip off the BBC by repeatedly using images of speedy driver The Stig in his campaign, from multiple posters down to creating a facebook profile that purports to be The Stig supporting him.While the SU may think they're immune from this, it still makes us wonder. Is this stuff only approved for the candidates they like?

Questions, questions... probably not going to be answered as long as the results are what they want...

Seems im not the only one that thinks theres an inside campaign running

Hi GOMY,

I don't normally reply to threads that aren't Questions for the Education Officer, however in this case I'll make an exception because I know that Aoife Ní is extremely busy with ERB stuff. I have no vested interest in any campaign, I'm already elected so this is a point of information.

Brands and characters are frequently used in election material. Here are just a few examples of symbols, brands and people that have been used/manipulated:

2006: Bebo symbol
    2008: Carlsberg logo, Bob the Builder, Fr. Ted
    2009: Emily the Strange, Ronan O' Gara, DC comics, Napolean Dynamite, Joseph Fritzel,
    2010: Look around

I'm open to correction on this, but I believe that the issue with the bi-election was that the head of the candidate was superimposed onto Barrack Obama's body on an existing copy Time Magazine.

If I were to give one piece of advice, it would be to advise people to be extremely careful in terms of accustations like that. Implying that the Students' Union or the Secretary General favours one candidate over others is extremely serious.

Aoife

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

damnit husting clashin with training shafted :(

Hi GOMY,

I don't normally reply to threads that aren't Questions for the Education Officer, however in this case I'll make an exception because I know that Aoife Ní is extremely busy with ERB stuff. I have no vested interest in any campaign, I'm already elected so this is a point of information.

Brands and characters are frequently used in election material. Here are just a few examples of symbols, brands and people that have been used/manipulated:

2006: Bebo symbol
    2008: Carlsberg logo, Bob the Builder, Fr. Ted
    2009: Emily the Strange, Ronan O' Gara, DC comics, Napolean Dynamite, Joseph Fritzel,
    2010: Look around

I'm open to correction on this, but I believe that the issue with the bi-election was that the head of the candidate was superimposed onto Barrack Obama's body on an existing copy Time Magazine.

If I were to give one piece of advice, it would be to advise people to be extremely careful in terms of accustations like that. Implying that the Students' Union or the Secretary General favours one candidate over others is extremely serious.

Aoife
    JOSEPH FRITZL??????????????:eek:
    man the things i would have seen if i skipped ty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Concy

http://ulgrapevine.blogspot.com/
    At UL it's been different for a few years as the Student Union have to approve all election material and SU General Manager Thomas Costello has usually laid down a no fist on anything that might rip off someone else's trademark or creation. Two years ago, the entire campaign plan of one candidate for Education Officer had to be thrown out when he didn't like candidate Diarmuid Healy using Time Magazine's look for his campaign, down to replicating the front page as a poster. Bad boy Healy was sent away to get the permission of Time Warner to use their look. Good luck with that mate.

So we're a bit confused that Ruan Dillon McLoughlin's campaign is allowed to rip off the BBC by repeatedly using images of speedy driver The Stig in his campaign, from multiple posters down to creating a facebook profile that purports to be The Stig supporting him.While the SU may think they're immune from this, it still makes us wonder. Is this stuff only approved for the candidates they like?

Questions, questions... probably not going to be answered as long as the results are what they want...

Seems im not the only one that thinks theres an inside campaign running

All will be resolved when Rocky takes to the throne :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

I was unable to make the hustings, and I have been keeping quiet all week to see what how the various candidates approached the elections.

I have been quite surprised at the lack of campaigning near the KBS.
    Considering that I practically live there, I havent seen or heard from anyone at all.

Also, how come postgraduates appear not to be part of anyones election campaigns? I know we have the PSA, but how come none or the manifestos [or at least from what I've read] have mentioned working with the PSA, or helping postgrads?

Dont say that you are applying what you say to the entire student body, cos I dont buy it, and for those who went to speak to classes...are postgrads classes not important?

Considering the amount of postgrads in UL, I'm shocked at the lack of correspondence with us. My own class hadnt a clue what the posters around were for until I informed them today...and remember the elections are tomorrow!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Nimsay

entropic wrote: »
    Then there is the rumour that he started campaigning before the nominations opened.

He had his campaigners going around last friday writing 'vote paddy rocket' on peoples arms, today some of his ppl were inside the doors of the SU with t-shirts on and showed no attempt at hiding them.

Nimsay wrote: »
    He had his campaigners going around last friday writing 'vote paddy rocket' on peoples arms, today some of his ppl were inside the doors of the SU with t-shirts on and showed no attempt at hiding them.

Considering you are so definitive about this, can we have proof please, thanks a million.. If you haven't given a formal complaint then slander has no place here, I thought that was stated?!..Strange though how i saw a girl in the library last week and had 'Ruan for President' written on around 3 sheets which were placed around her desk which was situated at the top of the stairs on the 2nd floor..I then saw one placed in the computer area..Is it o.k for me to suggest that these were Ruan's campaigners as you have suggested about Paddy??

I innitionally thought that it may have been someone in Support of Ruan, not a campaigner..But considering what you have stated above i think it is only fair that I say that from what i saw

RUAN STARTED HIS CAMPAIGN EARLY

• Registered Users Posts: 9 _Coco_

Mossin: 'Also, how come postgraduates appear not to be part of anyones election campaigns? I know we have the PSA, but how come none or the manifestos [or at least from what I've read] have mentioned working with the PSA, or helping postgrads?'

Have to agree 100% on this. I asked one candidate whether he would be willing to work with next years PSA President on postgraduate issues and the blank look suggested that he didn’t even know there was one, which he didn’t until I informed him. By the same token he had not spoken to the current PSA President on issues that may come up or by association impact the SU. The Postgraduate President is a voting member of the SU exec so you would think candidates would educate themselves on the basic working structure of the SU. Further, there are over 2000 postgraduate students in UL eligible to vote tomorrow… could have made all the difference to someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭snazzy

Could anyone give a summary of the Hustings tonight.
    Was tied up at tag rugby and couldn't attend and I would have liked too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Nimsay wrote: »

Concy wrote: »
    I innitionally thought that it may have been someone in Support of Ruan, not a campaigner..But considering what you have stated above i think it is only fair that I say that from what i saw

Right, neither of you are providing "proof" so it'd be a silly person who asked for proof...
    onsidering you are so definitive about this, can we have proof please, thanks a million..
    See above...
    If you haven't given a formal complaint then slander has no place here
    Slander is spoken, when it's written it's libel...
    I thought that was stated?!..
    The only rules in place here are the ones I put in post 1 of this thread. I know them because I wrote them:)
    Strange though how i saw a girl in the library last week and had 'Ruan for President' written on around 3 sheets which were placed around her desk which was situated at the top of the stairs on the 2nd floor..I then saw one placed in the computer area..Is it o.k for me to suggest that these were Ruan's campaigners as you have suggested about Paddy??
    You already have dude, see above:)

Right, put bluntly, I don't give a crap who "started early". If anyone has an issue with it, feel free to make a formal complaint to the Electoral & Referenda Board. As a former chair of that board, any such complaints will be taken seriously. A complaint may be made to the ERB by contacting the election Returning Officer, Tomás Costello. Tomás is a straight-up guy and will treat any such complaint with the gravitas it deserves. He can be contacted at the SU if you need to, ask at reception.

Complaining here you're just complaining to people who don't have the power to do anything about it, which is infinitely less useful than complaining to someone who can. That'd be the person I've pointed to.

Seriously guys, a load of campaigns started early. One of the candidates had a "Vote4me" facebook page that was set up just after Christmas. Start discussing policies and worthiness of the candidates, knock this inane "blah started early" rubbish on the head as electrons are scarce:)

• Advertisement

Considering you are so definitive about this, can we have proof please, thanks a million.. If you haven't given a formal complaint then slander has no place here, I thought that was stated?!..Strange though how i saw a girl in the library last week and had 'Ruan for President' written on around 3 sheets which were placed around her desk which was situated at the top of the stairs on the 2nd floor..I then saw one placed in the computer area..Is it o.k for me to suggest that these were Ruan's campaigners as you have suggested about Paddy??

im all fairness, its not like he has access to the cctv

However ive no doubt he has about it, one of rocketts campaign team was over at my house two weeks back. saw my housemates facebook open and wrote as her status, "is voting paddy rocket for su president"
    a clever way of spreadin the word, funny tho as shes now leaning towards ruan:p.
    However its not all rockett,
    nick ryan had his waths good for ul face book page (btw that exactly how it was spelt:D) goin for weeks before, and if my memory serve me right, the description went along the lines of " im running for president , i can do this" not te exact text but close for it. it was interesting to see that the groups name changed to nick ryan for su president election week ;)
    Tbh i didnt see ruáns posters in the library, that day around what time was it ,i was there from 12:30 to 1:30, so i cant confirm nor deny it.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭pervertedcoffee

sceptre wrote: »
    Communications:
    Neither

Any missing candidates who feel like joining in in some small direct way, you're more than welcome to do so.

I'm one of Finn McDuffie's campaigners this week. You'll probably all recognise me by the end of it all. :cool: I'm campaigning for him because I genuinely believe in what he has to offer the student body and the following is my personal opinions as they would have been stated; regardless of my campaigning status.

You should also look at the link posted in one of the first posts, courtesy of our mod. I can't answer the questions posed to candidates on his behalf but I can certainly throw in my two cents.

Finn has been a dedicated member of the An Focal team for as long as he's been in UL. This year he's been my editor and I've thoroughly enjoyed working with him for An Focal. The edits he's made to my articles have drastically improved them and I have no doubt he'll bring this editorial skill to the entire paper. Whenever I see him, he's working on An Focal with enthusiasm and joy; and I know given the reins this attitude will stand to him throughout the year

I have every confidence that Finn will do everything in his power to make our voice matter next year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭JimmyMoose

Very interested to know how the hustings were tonight? Did anyone go?
    Team Ruán, Daly and Viv :D Very sick of Rockett's campaign to be honest, think a lot of people are!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭lorcanthrope

Hey guys,

I hope that those of you who have been reading this have enjoyed my input (scant as it may have been, but time has been short and I didn't feel like responding to a large amount of the comments since I didn't feel it was appropriate in my current position as a candidate). I also hope that some of you have met me out or seen some of our material around the place. I'm genuinely interested in attempting to rejuvenate the role of CSO as a legitimate form of Union communication, I'm promising to work hard at it and my ideas come with policy behind them.

If you've been swayed, I hope for your vote. If you haven't, please find me tomorrow (I'll be the one running around like a duck with its arse on fire) and we'll see if the personal approach can convince you.

Thanks for reading, guys, and I hope for your vote.

Lorcan

JimmyMoose wrote: »
    Very interested to know how the hustings were tonight? Did anyone go?
    Team Ruán, Daly and Viv :D Very sick of Rockett's campaign to be honest, think a lot of people are!

Rockett and Ruan are the front runners, all other presidential candidates were very average..Quite sick of the Fianna Fail lads campaigns at this stage to be honest, think alot of people are..Its time some people learn to stand on their own two feet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Nockz

What can I say? A lot of campaigns giving it all they'd got today. Some really shooting themselves in the foot. I won't be naming names for obvious reasons but I seriously think anyone who has to resort to going to the lecture halls for promotion is not campaigning effectively. Seriously, you make flyers, set up a stall, do everything you do. Trust us when we say we can't avoid you anymore. Leave me be safe in my lectures please. I left the room and waited until that person had finished up to go back in. Of course, I don't complain to the ERB as these are purely my personal opinions and probably not against the rules.

The positions I intend on voting seriously for are panning out nicely, with candidates that annoy me staying at the bottom and the promising ones edging their way in front.

Can someone clarify for me if there is any finanial incentive to run for one of these positions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭entropic

Nockz wrote: »

Can someone clarify for me if there is any finanial incentive to run for one of these positions?

Yup a €22,000 a year financial incentive. Actually I'm not sure on the final figure but I am fairly confident that is fairly close.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Nockz

Yup a €22,000 a year financial incentive. Actually I'm not sure on the final figure but I am fairly confident that is fairly close.
    If that is well and truly the case then I must admit I am saddened. I had a gut feeling there were candidates in it for that and this buries the hatchett. My respect has greatly decreased for the candidates ust chancing their arm at the elections.

Quite sick of the Fianna Fail lads campaigns at this stage to be honest, think alot of people are..Its time some people learn to stand on their own two feet :D

I was at hustings this evening as well. There was in no way, whatsoever, any reference to Fianna Fail by any candidate. Everything said was exclusively relevant to the SU and I'm confident everyone else who attended the hustings will attest to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭JimmyMoose

Yeah to be honest, being a Fianna Fail woman myself and everything, I have to say I have seen no mention to FF whatsoever, I don't know where you are getting this from? I agree that some candidates are stooping low enough with their methods in campaigning, but this attention might be seen as good attention so you never know!

Will the results be made public tomorrow night or what is the story?

• Advertisement

The results will be made public as soon as they are known. The last ballot box will close around 7-7.30ish and the counting will commence around 9. Depending on how many people they have counting the first results should be in around 12 and the presidents one will all depend on how many counts are needed before a victor is declared but I dont imagine seeing them before 1am.

As soon as they are out there will be announcements on the ULSU website & Facebook Page I imagine

I was at hustings this evening as well. There was in no way, whatsoever, any reference to Fianna Fail by any candidate. Everything said was exclusively relevant to the SU and I'm confident everyone else who attended the hustings will attest to this.

I never said there was!

Just to let you know, a campaign, which is what I referred to, does not consist of just the hustings.

Glad to clear that one up

Yeah to be honest, being a Fianna Fail woman myself and everything, I have to say I have seen no mention to FF whatsoever, I don't know where you are getting this from? I agree that some candidates are stooping low enough with their methods in campaigning, but this attention might be seen as good attention so you never know!

Maybe you should read the relevant threads to enlighten yourself because there has been discissions in relation to FF on this site. Not to mention the prawn cocktail execs strutting their stuff around campus.

I'm sure whoever is elected will do a good job, especially if it is a FF supporter considering the majestic Irish economy they have directed us to :p

Nockz wrote: »
    If that is well and truly the case then I must admit I am saddened. I had a gut feeling there were candidates in it for that and this buries the hatchett. My respect has greatly decreased for the candidates ust chancing their arm at the elections.

The average joe chancing their arm is not going to win! And it is a full-time job for the elected candidates, whether they perform up to scratch or not it is still their job..I think it is 26,000

I never said there was!

Just to let you know, a campaign, which is what I referred to, does not consist of just the hustings.

I apologise, I misread. However, I stand by my statement, while amending it to include the fact that no references to any political party have been made in any campaign. Basing opinions based on hearsay over the internet is a very foolish thing to do, no matter how many of us use, enjoy and rant on boards. This is particularly true with all the trolling going on these days.

The results will be made public as soon as they are known. The last ballot box will close around 7-7.30ish and the counting will commence around 9. Depending on how many people they have counting the first results should be in around 12 and the presidents one will all depend on how many counts are needed before a victor is declared but I dont imagine seeing them before 1am.

As soon as they are out there will be announcements on the ULSU website & Facebook Page I imagine

spot on, daly said the result shud be known around then to a friend of mine

The average joe chancing their arm is not going to win! And it is a full-time job for the elected candidates, whether they perform up to scratch or not it is still their job..I think it is 26,000
    Maybe you should read the relevant threads to enlighten yourself because there has been discissions in relation to FF on this site. Not to mention the prawn cocktail execs strutting their stuff around campus.

I'm sure whoever is elected will do a good job, especially if it is a FF supporter considering the majestic Irish economy they have directed us to :p
    I never said there was!

Look, 3 separate posts are not needed to reply, please just copy and plaste or if you are unsure how to do it right use quote tags.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Look, 3 separate posts are not needed to reply, please just copy and plaste or if you are unsure how to do it right use quote tags.

Cut him some slack... he's a new member.... even though im surprised a Rockett scientist doesnt know how ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭daithi_lacha

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    Cut him some slack... he's a new member.... even though im surprised a Rockett scientist doesnt know how ;)

Hmm..... food for thought :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Mr Lightweight

There is some amount of elitist bull**** going on here.. I actually think it's hilarious. Most candidates have put in a lot of effort so at this stage, honestly, good luck to everyone... but seriously guys... all the subtle bad mouthing is really sad.. your just really scared - and to be honest I wouldn't blame you... It's a two horse race.. you know who it's between now.. goodnight and we'll see you tomorrow when the votes are being counted!

Advertisement