Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ULSU Elections 2010 (Voting Thursday March 11)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Nockz

same old heads all got back in. very disappointing election.
    Personally, I think Ruan's 12 month experience working with the SU has come to his advantage. Say what you want but I was at most of the C&S Councils, the man got work done. I heard from some of the staff involved that they were a tightly knit committee, more so than the last few years.

Congrats to the winners and commiterations to those that didn't win.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 impossiblesuzie

Congratulations to those elected. Commiserations to the rest. Good to see so many at hustings this year. Maybe the union is on the way back up.

Those same old heads have experience and Ruán is a very good president. May not be out drinking 5 nights a week but I have personally seen him in the union until 11/12 at night in his office. No need to start the new team off with negative vibes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

still though, one or two incumbants losing helps to keep the rest of them on their toes. :D

I expect to see more from you lot for mature students than the cup o tea in September now that ye have been elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭daithi_lacha

Well it's been my first time on the scene for an election. Despite all the negative, and indeed positive remarks above, I reckon it comes down to one simple thing.

I've spoken to many new faces this week, and it seems that the student population is split down the middle - those who care about the SU, and those that don't. The 'those who care' group are predominantly made up of Clubs and Socs members (66% of the population according to hustings), and indeed the general union population, reps etc.

So it seems to me that what it takes to win votes in these elections is to get that group of 'those who care' backing you, e.g. Clubs and Socs, and of course the 'union heads'. Those who were successful in their campaigns, displayed all the qualities required to satisfy these groups!

I am of course a little bit upset that the candidate I was supporting didn't get through. Although I certainly am very happy with the team who got through, howver, as I reflect on it I think I would have been happy with any combination of the candidates.

What this has turned out to be for me though is not elections or officers, it has turned out to be one fantastically synchronised psychological experiment unfolding before our very eyes, and that has to be the most fascinating part of it all!

Here's to next year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Concy

Congratulations to those elected. Commiserations to the rest. Good to see so many at hustings this year. Maybe the union is on the way back up.

Those same old heads have experience and Ruán is a very good president. May not be out drinking 5 nights a week but I have personally seen him in the union until 11/12 at night in his office. No need to start the new team off with negative vibes.

My own issue with Ruan is that he sold alot of students ideas that were appealing, but never materialised..Blatant lies aren't appealing to us that can see past the SU curtain..And if someone can show me proof that he is going to change please do so..The quicker the clique is broken the better!Glad to see Viv getting elected, looking forward to that Party outside Don Barry's house!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭JimmyMoose

Great result, congrats to Ruán, Derek, Viv and McDuffie :D I voted for all four! Think the best got it in the end and should be interesting to see now will any change be made. Have to say as a first year I love the buzz of the elections, apart from the pestering, twas very interesting! And hopefully you're looking at future female president right here ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 impossiblesuzie

Concy wrote: »
    Blatant lies aren't appealing to us that can see past the SU curtain.

The SU is certainly not infallible in fact is is probably at the opposite extreme at the moment but for those of us who remember a union that worked and was visible and active it is nice to see Ruán (who is one of the hardest working presidents of the last few years) get back in.

If you want blatant lies look at some of the other manifestos and I wouldn't hold my breath for that party though Viv assures me it will happen.:eek: Hope Don Barry likes loud music!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

Latest word on the Facebook newsfeed is a recount called for Campaigns and Services, but that's 2 hours back - I assume nothing came of it if nothing more's been posted?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Oops, sorry. So tired I completely forgot to update. Yep, Vivion Grisewood is still elected. He gained one vote, that was the only change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

ergonomics wrote: »
    Oops, sorry. So tired I completely forgot to update. Yep, Vivion Grisewood is still elected. He gained one vote, that was the only change.

**** buzz. Ah well - 100+ votes being miscounted was always a longshot. Cheers for the quick reply!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭lorcanthrope

Hey guys,

I wasn't listening properly when the count came because once I heard 1400 for Viv, I realised I'd lost. Therefore I didn't realise it was over 100. And I called a recount because my team deserved it and they were as/if not more heartbroken that I was. I didn't expect it to change the result, it was to get us some closure after a week of intense emotion.

I wish Viv and the SU the best - I think he'll do a good job and I acknowledged at the very start (perhaps not here) that I was running against a good candidate that was as capable of the job as I was. I ran because I thought I could do a better job. The voters have the choice and I'm not going to argue with them.

Thanks for reading, and I hope none of you think me petty for calling a recount.

Lorcan O'Neill

• Registered Users Posts: 49 kingkane

shay_562 wrote: »
    **** buzz. Ah well - 100+ votes being miscounted was always a longshot. Cheers for the quick reply!

Just for clarity, with a margin of a 100 between two candidates you only need 50 or so votes to be miscounted and to change hands for the result to change. It's unlikely but not unknown for a bundle of votes to end up in the wrong pile purely by accident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Rockett_4_Prez

May i say a great thank you to all the team that have supported me this week and over the past few months - you guys were the drive to do this and every day was always worth the effort and the push -

To the newly elected candidates and to those who did not make it - congratulations and commiserations, it was a fantastic week and great to see the life and energy around campus - it was saddening to see all the people put great effort into the Union and not get elected - all candidates, for all positions were working towards making the University a better place and for that we can only congratulate them!

On a personal level I must say it was a pleasure to run against such candidates in the presidential race - and despite the negativity and bad mouthing - the best times for me this week were yesterday afternoon and last night - all of us in the courtyard - (even the glee thing was fun:D) when poling closed the tension was gone - it was an honour to walk into javas an sit with all the campainers drink and be merry!

Saddened thought i am that i will not take office this year - i have full confidence in the Union this year and will take great pleasure in helping out in anyway that i can.

Im not going to congratulate the new sabbatical officers one by one instead i want to say congratulations to all who ran this year - its great to know that there are people who genuinely care about the Union as i do.

Peace and good times to ye all!

Paddy Rockett

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

May i say a great thank you to all the team that have supported me this week and over the past few months - you guys were the drive to do this and every day was always worth the effort and the push -

To the newly elected candidates and to those who did not make it - congratulations and commiserations, it was a fantastic week and great to see the life and energy around campus - it was saddening to see all the people put great effort into the Union and not get elected - all candidates, for all positions were working towards making the University a better place and for that we can only congratulate them!

On a personal level I must say it was a pleasure to run against such candidates in the presidential race - and despite the negativity and bad mouthing - the best times for me this week were yesterday afternoon and last night - all of us in the courtyard - (even the glee thing was fun:D) when poling closed the tension was gone - it was an honour to walk into javas an sit with all the campainers drink and be merry!

Saddened thought i am that i will not take office this year - i have full confidence in the Union this year and will take great pleasure in helping out in anyway that i can.

Im not going to congratulate the new sabbatical officers one by one instead i want to say congratulations to all who ran this year - its great to know that there are people who genuinely care about the Union as i do.

Peace and good times to ye all!

Paddy Rockett

I'd like to echo what Paddy has said. Well done to all who have come through the week. It's not an easy decision to put your name on a ballot paper and I know from past experience that it's not easy to lose elections.

We were all in it for the same reason; to make campus and student life a little more bearable. We all have different views on how this should be done, but we are all working towards it. I think the one thing made clear in this election is that students want an EFFECTIVE ULSU and are not necessarily bothered whether it is visible 24/7. I think there is a balance I have personally not struck in that, but I hope the extra year will give me an opportunity to address that. Thanks to EVERYONE who came out to vote, regardless of which candidate you voted for as it is important as we represent you to the University that our mandate is clear. I think the turnout yesterday shows that students DO care and that they value the work of the Union. The University respects that when it is visible and cares about students.

On Billy's query above, I had been talking to Noreen from the MSO last week and we hope to do another coffee afternoon soon, but as we represent all students it may not be specificn but all are welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

That sentiment sir surely depends on your point of view. Wehn the oposition is beaten by a country mile and the incumbents remain in office either unopposed or re-elected with tremendous support I think thats a fair indication of the popular will of the electorate.

I think that given the fact they managed to get nearly 2/3 of all students on campus on that day to vote, then that is actually a very encouraging election. I don't have figures off hand from last year, but I'm reasonably sure that turnout was on par with last year if not increased on it! That can only mean a greater interest amongst students as regards to who they wish to govern them and promote their interests.

Surely the most encouraging election in modern times?

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Half of who I wanted (Ruan & Derek), 100% what I expected.

Good job to all involved. The campaigning as a whole grates on me though :-/.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Concy

Half of who I wanted (Ruan & Derek), 100% what I expected.

Good job to all involved. The campaigning as a whole grates on me though :-/.

Which campaigns in particular??

Anyone else find it amusing how Mr.Rockett got a blasting earlier in the week due to his "gimmice" campaign but nothing was mentioned when Ruans campaign followed suit on Wednesday and Thursday.

More double standards for the SU boys perhaps

Anyone else find it amusing how Mr.Rockett got a blasting earlier in the week due to his "gimmice" campaign but nothing was mentioned when Ruans campaign followed suit on Wednesday and Thursday.

More double standards for the SU boys perhaps

What would ye think of decoupling the husts and having a hust or perhaps 2 husts everyday of the election week? That way each candidate would in theory have a greater chance to connect with the voters? Husts could be held (weather permitting) in the SU Courtyard, now surely a major thoroughfare?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 AlistairOvereem

its just a shame that elections are now decided upon who has more money, in this case invariably dillon-mac.

more money, equals better t shirts pamhplets and posters. i think rockett had better ideas and a better manifesto. unfortunately the sea of orange and the zorb were all that voters saw yesterday and dillon keeps his belt.

ruan made a lot of promises last year and very few were implemented. the 24 hr library is one i can recall. i wouldnt bet against another year of inactivity on his part.

looking forward to another year of backpats, handjobs, and a retention of the status quo! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

... as opposed to registering multiple accounts and posting from both in quick succession thinking that people are too dumb to notice. Sock puppet account sitebanned, non-sock puppet account red-carded and on ice as thin as lace. It doesn't take too much trouble to read the warning in post 1.

Register another extra account to pretend to be two or more people rather than one and I'll ban all and pull a Big Brother 1984 on past posts as there's a very clear warning about pretending to be multiple people in post 1 of this thread. Please make your points reasonably using one account, not more than one pretending to be a gang of people. That's just idiotic.

Thank you for flying Air Boards. Complaints to me by PM please

/mod

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭entropic

Phew what a week, I very much enjoyed a day of lying in bed only getting up to take a mid-term test. Another week fullfilling a childhood dream of living on only sweets. Congrats to everyone who was involved there were great campaigns this year. I met alot of great new people and even some old heads returned to campus on Thursday.

looking forward to another year of backpats, handjobs, and a retention of the status quo! smile.gif

What kinda year are you looking forward to ???? :P

All and any. Anyone who interrupted me as I was going from lecture to lecture to SU to lecture etc.
    This may just be because apart from hustings it's all that've I've heard SU-wise for the past 3-4 weeks.

All and any. Anyone who interrupted me as I was going from lecture to lecture to SU to lecture etc.
    This may just be because apart from hustings it's all that've I've heard SU-wise for the past 3-4 weeks.

That's kinda unfair the Education Officer traditionally is quiet but working away; the current one has been going to meetings hassling lecturers being assholes, pressing ahead with her lecturer surveys. The paper has come out and the Communications Officer has run the elections with the CSO The President has been attending Governing Authority and has been pushing for reforms to UL's sporting campus among other key issues. The Welfare Officer has also been busy with depressed students, stdents who've been attacked, bullied and put upon, administiring financial aid and attending international conferences on student experience with the Education Officer.

Just because you can't see the work, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. To be honest if you can't see it, it generally means its working hard. It's only when you see things that (a) something has been brought to a succesful conclusion or (b) something has gone drastically wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭pervertedcoffee

Hi guys,

I'm doing an article for An Focal on the SU Elections and want to get a few opinions. If anyone wants to be quoted directly PM me with your name and year. Otherwise sentiments will remain anonymous and may be paraphrased but as always I won't twist what anyone has said.

If anyone would like to comment on the following I'd be very grateful, you can also PM me your opinions if you'd rather not air them here. I'll give a few bullet points but feel free to comment on whatever you want.

• Overall atmosphere of the college during election week
    • Your favorite campaign...why
    • Impact election week has on student interactions with the SU
    As always, I'm very grateful for replies and lets try to give constructive criticism rather than all out bashing. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Nagoh

My very small two cents is that the atmosphere on Thursday was fantastic. I felt all the pettiness and complaints over the week went out the window and the competition became much friendlier.
    This was my first time getting involved in any election campaign over the past few years so I don't know how it compares, but I enjoyed it for what it was worth.

I also learned that as soon as you run out of creme eggs, demand instantly shoots up (-_-')

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭JimmyMoose

Yeah I completely agree, I loved the buzz around the college during the week, especially Wed and Thurs! It really gets most people talking and taking interest! I took interest straight away, read all the manifestos and campaigned for who I wanted to be elected. Campaigning was definitely fun, few dirty tactics here and there but it didn't take away from it! Best man won in the end of the day in my opinion even though I thought the runner up was very capable too! I know they pulled in huge numbers to vote but there is still the majority either unavailable or just too lazy! I have to say though a lot of money has to be put into these campaigns, and such a waste if you do not get elected! It's a pity it has to be so materialistic but then again it works! Overall a very interesting week as my first experience of elections and looking forward to next year already :D

constantg wrote: »
    Just because you can't see the work, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. To be honest if you can't see it, it generally means its working hard. It's only when you see things that (a) something has been brought to a succesful conclusion or (b) something has gone drastically wrong.

Woah, woah, you seem to have mis-interpreted all I said. I'm not saying that's all the s.officers have been doing at all! At all at all! I think the current group have done a great job all year.
    I meant that the elections are all people (in my general vicinity) have really been talking about for the past month so when the campaigns got into full swing with some people coming into lectures, being stopped with a booklet thrust into my hand, asked if I've already voted (on Thursday obviously).
    I of course understand why this is the case, but it doesn't mean I have to like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

In the past 3 years, the elections have been something which I have been involved with in some small part or another. But this year I declined to be part of any campaign, despite being asked by 4 candidates. I was just too busy with college, but it didnt stop me from reading manifestos and listening to what had to be said.

I wasnt entirely happy with the amount of in-my-face campaigning that happened, but its part and parcel of it these days. It was only for 4 days, and tbh it wasnt completely over the top.

I'm delighted for those who got elected, and its good to see 3 of this years sabbats back for another term, as I believe this will help them to achieve goals they have promised both from this year and last. [or at least I hope so!]

The 2 new sabbats will at least offer some new perspectives, and that is good news.

Commiserations to those who didnt make it, and best of luck with whatever you pursue now. Maybe do a postgrad and try again next year :)

• Advertisement

Woah, woah, you seem to have mis-interpreted all I said. I'm not saying that's all the s.officers have been doing at all! At all at all! I think the current group have done a great job all year.
    I meant that the elections are all people (in my general vicinity) have really been talking about for the past month so when the campaigns got into full swing with some people coming into lectures, being stopped with a booklet thrust into my hand, asked if I've already voted (on Thursday obviously).
    I of course understand why this is the case, but it doesn't mean I have to like it.

OK So let me get this straight; you think this year's sabbats have "dont a great job all year."

And you have a problem with the build up to the elections and polling day itself? "This may just be because apart from hustings it's all that've I've heard SU-wise for the past 3-4 weeks."

So in theory you don't have an issue with the SU, merely the manner in which the lecetions were handled? Would you be in favour of a moratorium on elections in a fashion similar to the general elections with campaigning being toned down on the day of an election perhaps?

And just to satisfy my curiousity, did the SU not deal with the UGM recently, did you not hear? Several articles in An Focal relating to Class Reps Council, statements from the SU President (4 more years :-)) re the new presidential house suggesting that Batt O'Keeffe should perhaps better concentrate his energies on the spiraling cost of the registration fee???

Or am i imaging things again? Damn Xanex.....:P

Advertisement