Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For sale: Dawes Super Galaxy with upgrades

Options
  • 06-03-2010 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Dawes Super Galaxy touring bike. This 1993 model is in very good condition, has been well looked after. Blue 21”/54cm, Reynolds 531 steel frame with Alesa 917 700c alloy rims and Continental Conti Top Touring 2000 tyres, with about 1000km still on treads. Recently refitted with new quill, stem, drop bars and Shimano Flight Deck shifter/ brake set and cables – see pic. Trek saddle and seat post fitted. Original bars and saddle available if wanted. 21 (3x7)gears with Shimano RSX derailleur set. The bike had been unused in storage for a number of years. It was refitted by Roe Valley Cycles, Limavady as described above, before proving its touring credentials in the hills and heat last September 09 on a 500km tour around the Alicante region. Fitted with original mudguards, and rear and front (not in pic) pannier racks. I have another road bike which I have decided it will should do me for an annual weeks tour, so I don’t need this one. Happy to let you try it up here in Donegal, just 6 miles from Derry. This updated classic selling for €450.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Feeling all nostalgic now - I miss my 1982 Dawes Super Galaxy quite a lot. It was a really comfortable ride and great quality components.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 flugh

This bike is now sold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 miobrad

hi flugh,
    i recently bought this bike and would like to ask you for advice on an upgrade. are you still reading this forum? if you do please get in touch, then i will post my questions..
    thanks!

Hi there. Yes, and ask away... Did you buy the one that I sold or a similar one?

i did buy the one you sold. it is currently on the way, should be here - near geneva/switzerland - on monday - currently in the local DHL office in Lyon :)

i noticed on the pictures that it 8 speed shifters, while the cassette is 7 speed. the cassette is very worn and i want to buy a new one. so my first question is - can i simply buy a 8 speed cassette?

will the shifters need adjustment? is there a limit to what the rear DR can do. ie - will it support a 11-32 cassette?

many thanks!

• Advertisement

Hi there. I'm not sure about the fitting of an 8 speed cassette and any adjustment that might be needed to the shifters - out of my depth and experience:( It is a free wheel casette not the newer type. The refit was done by Roe Valley Cycles, Limavady and I could get you a email address there if you want, and I could call them in advance to give them (Peter) a headsup on your questions? They are very helpful and I know them well. Let me know. Stan

no worries, thanks. don't get in touch with them - i have my local bike mechanic here, he'll know. i just thought that it would be fun to talk to you give n that you are the previous owner, hoping that you know more about the bike than i do!
    thanks though!

Good luck with your new bike. I'll tell the original owner that the bike is in Switzerland. It started life in Belfast and did a good bit of touring from there before I rescued it from a friend. I think that the back dr wont take the larger 32 tooth cassette as this needs a long armed dr. The shifter should however take an 8 speed but I havent done this before. All the best. Stan

thanks. yes, i thought that the DR might be to small for a 11-32 cassette. i just got the bike today in the morning and put it together nicely. it still is a good bike. it does not come with the gear range that i was looking for - i would like 48/36/26 in the front and 11-32 in the back, it has 50/?/30 in the front and 11-28 in the back. but this is still more than my last bike (50/34 11-26). so it is already better on me knees. i will use it like it is for commuting for a while and see how it goes. in the summer i plan to travel with it to vienna, partly through the alps. i am sure i will upgrade the chainset/cassette before that.. greetings to the original owner!
    mo

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭mrbike

hey miobrad,

I did this recently with an old 7 speed Dawes. You can replace the freehub body with a 8/9/10 speed one.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=1161

You'll need to remove the rear axle & bearings to replace the freehub body. The new free hub is longer, so the wheel will no longer be centered in the frame. You'll need to redish the rear wheel.

If you don't have the tools, it would be best to get a bike shop to do it. Make sure they are good at building wheels.

New parts needed:

rear cassette,
    free hub body,
    you should probably also replace the chain.

Also check your rear derailleur is long enough to handle a 32 at the back. You'll need a long cage rear derailleur.

• Advertisement

that is over my head. i will have to go and bring it to my mechanic.. i do know though that i need a larger rear DR. thanks a lot for the info!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭mrbike

miobrad wrote: »
    that is over my head. i will have to go and bring it to my mechanic.. i do know though that i need a larger rear DR. thanks a lot for the info!

It sounds a lot more difficult to do than it is :). I'd say you're looking at about EUR100 for the parts, and an hour or two labor. It's not a huge job to do.

i see - thanks!

Advertisement