Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going on holiday in Sligo

Options
  • 06-03-2010 7:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭

Was up here this year and went to Mullaghmore for a week. Had a brilliant time there, recommended.
    I hate the usual holiday destinations like killarney or dublin (anyone notice alot of dubliners there?). These ''off the beaten track'' places require some research but it's worth it. Anyone else have a say for going to Sligo?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

whelpy wrote: »
    Was up here this year and went to Mullaghmore for a week. Had a brilliant time there, recommended.
    I hate the usual holiday destinations like killarney or dublin (anyone notice alot of dubliners there?). These ''off the beaten track'' places require some research but it's worth it. Anyone else have a say for going to Sligo?
    as do i, no overpricing in food or acommodation, you meet the locals, local people serving behind counters, these are te great things about those off the beaten track, you can ask anyof these counter staff directions and about what is happening in the area, the irish local staff will be well informed, brilliant, as for tourist areas, ask receptionists these things, they dont have a clue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭CityMan2010

ya..just do it...I presume you dont have kids? if you get a bit of good weather you are well away...

I was in Tralee a while ago staying at the Europe Hotel...and folk were saying, gosh isnt this absolutely out of this world"...thinks I to myself "hhmm, I'd prefer Sligo, they obviously aint never seen Lough Gill"...

I guess it all depends what you want...if you want scenery, culture, atmosphere, beach walks, country walks, friendly folk and a good pint and friendly pubs, and good food in bars and restaurants...i'd say you cant go wrong with Sligo...I love it...Im a blow in...and I constantly feel like I'm on holiday here...if I won the lotto i wouldnt move (well might buy an apartment in the sun for the fecin winter)...book it...bring us your hard earned yo-yos....oh and the Sligo Folk are diamonds too..dont Thomas Cook it..book it

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭LK1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

ya..just do it...I presume you dont have kids? if you get a bit of good weather you are well away...

I was in Tralee a while ago staying at the Europe Hotel...and folk were saying, gosh isnt this absolutely out of this world"...thinks I to myself "hhmm, I'd prefer Sligo, they obviously aint never seen Lough Gill"...

I guess it all depends what you want...if you want scenery, culture, atmosphere, beach walks, country walks, friendly folk and a good pint and friendly pubs, and good food in bars and restaurants...i'd say you cant go wrong with Sligo...I love it...Im a blow in...and I constantly feel like I'm on holiday here...if I won the lotto i wouldnt move (well might buy an apartment in the sun for the fecin winter)...book it...bring us your hard earned yo-yos....oh and the Sligo Folk are diamonds too..dont Thomas Cook it..book it
    lough gill a fabulious place
    hopefully people will see the light, and see the overhyped places for what they are, overcharging lacking irish staff, when tourists come here to see ireland and meet the irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

Great to hear lads on the other thread were beating each other up as being overpriced and useless. Love Mullaghmore dive there nearly every week in the summer and had my forst one on 2010 last sunday. Sun was shining and the vis was excellent. Water was cold I'll admit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

So many lovely places in Sligo:
    Hazelwood
    Doorly Park
    Yeats Country Drive
    Holy Well
    Gleniff Horseshoe Drive
    Streedagh
    Lissadell
    Rosses Point
    Strandhill
    Climbing Knocknarea
    I could go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

A pint in the Beach bar in Aughris Head is essential for anyone who wants a complete life:rolleyes: followed by a seaweed bath in either Enniscrone or Strandhill

Advertisement