Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Capillary matting with heating mat

Options
  • 06-03-2010 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

I bought a heating mat last year and would like to use capillary matting for automatic watering of my seed trays this year.

Is it possible to use these in conjunction with each other?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

Update:

Have started to use capillary matting and now want to create a reservoir with some wicks dipped in to it at one end and then underneath the capillary at the other end. This is for automatic watering purposes.

There isn't enough room on the same level as the propagator for a reservoir - would it work if the reservoir was placed on the shelf below or would the water not travel upwards by capillary action?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Hi Yorky, how did the Capillary matting work out for you? Are you using it this year? Just bought some but haven't started using it. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

Hi redser, I use a capillary matt each year for my seedlings,works great.I have a bucket with an off cut of matting as a wick placed on same level.Easy peasy,just have to top the bucket up every couple of days:)

Never used one in conjunction with a heating mat but so long as u have a large enough resevoir to alllow for extra water usage I don't see why it wouldn't work.Water and electrics don't mix too well though:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Brilliant, thanks Aerosol. This is going to make life a lot easier!

Advertisement