Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foxing.... Thomastown style :-)

Options
  • 06-03-2010 7:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

On the way to do the HCAP test this afternoon I met this guy walking along the road, well I nearly crashed the jeep.
    I had to stop and talk to the chap, he reared it from a cub when it was injured and he had it on a lead !!!

I didn't have the heart to tell him that I usually look at them through a Nightforce ......
    3e9b52a9.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭doyle61

only in ireland:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Below
    I saw that in one of the local papers a while back.

Just wondering if he let it out at night for a pee and if it would come back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

My wife's uncle raised an abandoned fox cub years ago too. When the cub was old enough he released it and it used to sleep in the ditch at the top of his acre. He used to leave food out for him and he stayed there for years and even raised a few families. Strangest thing was her uncle was a hunter and avid fox shooter at the time. I remember when I was very young meeting him and his terrier and at the time the very young fox cub walking in the fields and my lab pup who I was walking at the time, the terrier and the fox were all playing together in the field as I chatted to the wife's uncle.

Never forgot that encounter :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

One the local pubs used to have a pet fox roaming around the pub..was funny to see. Was an ould fella that was a martyr for snaring and he drank in there on accasions and used to water from the teeth to get a hold a him. They always had to put him out the back when he'd come in. That's a dedicated foxhunter:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭BELOWaverageIQ

It was funny as hell talking to him, he was delighted to chat about his party piece.
    He told me that he had the fox over in Scotland recently working on some film or other, wasn't too sure wether to take him seriously or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

It's true what he told you, he's got thet fox a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭ianoo

wasnt he on "nationwide" on RTE there a while back !!!

ian

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

There was a lot of work done by a chap in Russia over the last few decades looking at how long it would take to domesticate a canine species (the russian silver fox in this case). Without any specific training (just selecting the more docile foxes from each generation), he converted a population of several hundred foxes from wild and feral to domesticated inside of three decades. They behave differently to their wild counterparts, they look different (different shaped skulls and tails), and Science recently published genetic studies showing they're genetically different as well; all without any external influence apart from not breeding ones that bit you when you fed them. They're now sold as pets.

So I guess it's not that outlandish...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭guns4fun

On the way to do the HCAP test this afternoon I met this guy walking along the road, well I nearly crashed the jeep.
    I had to stop and talk to the chap, he reared it from a cub when it was injured and he had it on a lead !!!

I didn't have the heart to tell him that I usually look at them through a Nightforce ......
    3e9b52a9.jpg
    what a lovely creature!! dont think I could shoot one though.
    the fox that is!!!! not the man,and i do some hunting myself.
    whats the reason that farmers shoot foxes anyway, just out of interest??

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

Does that fox realise that he's got a man growing out of his arse???

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

E. Fudd wrote: »
    Does that fox realise that he's got a man growing out of his arse???

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D............i'm good.........no...........wait...........:D:D:D
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

Th3e film was hardly "the fox and the girl" ??

Nice auld photo- would make the hardest of hunters smile..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

I heard a story about this chap and wasn't sure if I believed it, wow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

almost put the landrover into the nore one eve last year coming through thomastown looking at that man and his fox .

a animal we all love to hate .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Lord Doneraile had a pet fox. It bit him, and his steward - they went to Paris to see Pasteur (as one does) ; steward did whet he was told, survived; his lordship did not and died.
    P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭jimbrowning

3e9b52a9.jpg
    did you tel him he had a fox at his head ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

The same guy was in one of the papers again this week,[the Indo I think] he now has two of them. From what I remember it stated he brings them in the house at night for a few hours and plays music for them. Enough said really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

doyle61 wrote: »
    only in ireland:D:D:D

Yeah LOL, I've seen other strange things on leashes in Ireland. Was approaching the ticket barrier at Connelly station after getting off the DART and there was a guy coming from the opposite direction with a cockatiel on a leash running alongside him.

One of the station guys told him to carry the 'tiel, so he whistled and the bird flew up onto his shoulder

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Oddest one I ever saw ,was in Dublin airport.Just came off a flight and walking out the arrivals door where passengers meet.There is a good looking foreign blonde girl with a WHITE RABBITT on a leash. Sitting as calm as you like,beside her like a well trained dog..Thought I had maybe one too many the night before,as you do,when travelling.
    Fortuneatly there were a bunch airport security lads there as well who were commenting on it.So I am happy to say it wasnt a bad case of DT or pink elephant time.:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Em... why is the fox on his head???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Brain transplant gone wrong :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Probably feels safer being high up, or may be habit.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭doyle61

was a cold day.......better than any hat:D:D

Advertisement