Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dell win7 ugrade program, 3rd party installation disc

• 06-03-2010 8:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭

hey guys
    i bought a new computer for my parents in august which came with a free upgrade to windows 7 (from vista) when it was released.

I registered for the upgrade,
    the upgrade was "free" apart from €20 shipping so i decided not to order the disc.

does anyone know if i can install windows 7 (same 32bit home premium)
    on the dell and use the vista product key? or will i need a new key.

long shot i know but maybe someone has done this.:confused:
    i've emailed dell but i'm not holding my breath

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Harryob1

as far as i know the new OS (win7) needs a key. I upgraded a laptop with the win7 upgrade (retail) disk a couple of weeks ago and it required a serial.

So, i'd say if you got the disk from dell you'd get the serial key aswell.

I never done a system with the free upgrade, but i assume it's the same story.....needs a serial key.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

hmmmzz, sounds like you've complicated things a little here, lol.

AFAIK though, you're supposed to use your existing key with the new Win7 OS, (in turn making your VISTA system defunct). Hopefully it's somehow flagged with M$ that it's eligible for the upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭c-note

yeah thats what i'm hoping,
    but obviously i need dell to confirm that the current vista key, can be used as a windows 7 key or a vista key (obviously only one system activated at any one time).

if Dell do get back to me i'll post the answer here unless someone beats me to it!

Advertisement