Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sally Gap to Laragh via Glenmacnass

• 06-03-2010 9:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭

Word of warning for anyone travelling this route that the descent into Laragh from the waterfall is quite dangerous now due to the state of the road. Theres a couple of signs up signifying bumps but they don't really prepare you for the fact that chunks of the surface are missing and theres a few patches of no road surface at all.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

This is true, went up it a few weeks ago and it is better in that direction. High speed descents would not be advisable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Seen that right after the snow cleared a few weeks back , but its a much nicer ride heading the other way, least you get to take in the view on the spin up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

Yeah went up there today from Laragh sure was pretty grim at times all right,BUT one of the nicest days, weatherwise, I have ever been over Sallys .... Most enjoyable spin today....:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Limestone1

levitronix wrote: »
    Seen that right after the snow cleared a few weeks back , but its a much nicer ride heading the other way, least you get to take in the view on the spin up

Take in the view ??? Standing on the pedals with my head over the handle bars, helmet almost touching the front wheel, spit and sweat dribbling down into my eyes, I have to be honest, I never really appreciate the view on the way up ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Was there about 3 weeks ago heading north and again yesterday - the patches are getting more dangerous now that the weather has dried out a little and theres significantly more traffic using that road.

I guess it'll literally be WAR in March since Id imagine theres no plan/cash/etc to actually make safe the road
    http://glendalough.wicklowadventurerace.com/

I can also testify that the descent heading south off Slieve Maan is like something from WW2 - the really steep section at the bottom about 1km from the cottages has bunkers both sides of the road - hitting one at pace wouldnt be advisable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Limestone1 wrote: »
    Take in the view ??? Standing on the pedals with my head over the handle bars, helmet almost touching the front wheel, spit and sweat dribbling down into my eyes, I have to be honest, I never really appreciate the view on the way up ....

Glenmacnass is the gentlest route up to sally gap really though, lovely views off it yesterday.... the gravel patches where there is no road was rather interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭Robertd_07

Has anyone got any further info on this route?
    Is it still in a bad state?

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Poncherello

You hardly think that someone has actually done something about it now do you Rob ?!
    It was the same on Sunday and if I was a betting man I would say it will be the same this time next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Yup, lots of gravel on various stretches at the weekend where the tarmac was basically missing. In other places the surface is cracked or sunken creating holes or trenches. Some of the gravel stretches wouldn't be visible until you were practically on top of them if you were coming down it. It is usable in both directions, but you'd need to be careful coming down it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

We need to get the TDF back as soon as possible to Ireland to get the roads repaired!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭Robertd_07

Should make WAR interesting then!

Advertisement