Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Marketing New Web Application

Options
  • 06-03-2010 9:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hello,

I have developed a new innovative web application with big potential, but I have hit my first stumbling block - getting to market.
    My idea is an SMS/Email Alert system that provides very advanced solutions for those wishing to reach mass-market in particular geographic areas. there's lots of technical detail that qualifies the system as unique, but i'm not sure this is the platform.

Potential clients are utility companies, tv companies, local/state government bodies and many others. All these rely on mail shooting to get their word out there and it is very generalized. My application allows them to pinpoint using SMS, GIS and Mapping APIs to interlink to provide detailed messages to local customers.

I am looking to engage a Marketing company who is willing to work with me to get my product to market. I have zero experience with marketing, brochures, etc. I am from a technical background.

Googling "Web Marketing Company" and derivatives of this invariably returns SEO companies. It is hard to pin point a company who specializes in getting small startups (with fully developed products) to market.

Can anyone on boards.ie help with this? I'm hoping some responses will help point me in the right direction. If you are reading this and are interested in getting involved then please let me know and we can get in touch - I can also supply a link to a test version of my application.

Thanks.
    Web Mapper!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Will your service be opt in? How are you going to get the contact details?

Sounds like it spam's people by SMS or Email.

Companies do leaflet drops and direct mail because it allows them to target specific areas, even if some do treat it as junk mail - it's nowhere near as invasive as SMS/Email spamming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 webmapper

Hi,
    Thanks for replying...
    It's Opt In by registration.
    Registration will be by unique mobile number, instead of unique username. When you log in you can select "Alert Preferences", for example, and pick what messages you wish to receive. It meets the "Opt In" requirement specifications, so thats covered.
    Rather than register by email confirmation, Users will register with a username and password, after this an SMS will be sent to users with a unique code to verify an account. therefore only one unique mobile number can be valid.
    Definitely not a Spam application.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Why would anyone want to opt in to such a service?

The idea is that if you were interested in receiving an alert then this is an excellent method... people would opt in to receive an alert on a specific topic that interested them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 kickerr

Hi there,

Have you thought about approaching Enterprise Ireland? They would sit down with you and point you in the right direction id say. www.enterprise-ireland.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Damien1989

Interesting, An example would be:

A store that you shop in regularly, You could register with them and they could send weekly deals or whatever to you via text message.

Is this an accurate representation?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Approach your local CEB before Enterprise Ireland.
    They will give you a free session with a business mentor.
    If you want to pay for a marketing company I can recommend a few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 GreenlightM

Hi

I'd be happy to help its what I do... drop us a line and we can chat further
    Many thanks

Thanks to all who have replied.
    The Shop updater is one potential use I have explored, but I have developed an application that allows Services to get their message across - mainly service disruptions and interrupted services.

In relation to CEBs and EI, I have liaised with both. EI are interested in my project but are recommending that i devise a marketing strategy as part of my business plan. For this reason I am looking to liaise with a marketing company so PM me if this is something that interests you. As I said, the product is developed (apart from some slight aesthetic work) and the next step is deciding on how best to approach the market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 GreenlightM

webmapper wrote: »
    The Shop updater is one potential use I have explored, but I have developed an application that allows Services to get their message across - mainly service disruptions and interrupted services.

In relation to CEBs and EI, I have liaised with both. EI are interested in my project but are recommending that i devise a marketing strategy as part of my business plan. For this reason I am looking to liaise with a marketing company so PM me if this is something that interests you. As I said, the product is developed (apart from some slight aesthetic work) and the next step is deciding on how best to approach the market.

Hi
    I've helped launch several different products & companies so I suggest it worth us talking. www.greenlight.ie if you wold like to talk further.
    many thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement