Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joyce Country Walking Festival

Options
  • 06-03-2010 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone go? I done a level 4 walk today, up from An Cloch Bhreac to the trig point on Binn Shleibhe the across the ridge and down to An Baile Ard. Took a few photos and some video (so not fancy, don't get excited lol), will put them up tomorrow maybe, now is for reeelaxing :D Fantastic weather for it, could even see Mt Brandon and some other Kerry hills I've forgotten their name, Kerry Tups?...

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,261 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I was there logging hours for ML, wasn't in your group though a couple of my classmates probably were i would think. I was on one of the level 3 i think. Views from Mt Gable were fantastic, fine day for it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I was there logging hours for ML, wasn't in your group though a couple of my classmates probably were i would think. I was on one of the level 3 i think. Views from Mt Gable were fantastic, fine day for it :)

GMIT lads? Had the craic with a couple of them for a while on the walk :) That walk will be in my logbook for the MS part of our Guide course.

This is the easy bit! We started off heading up the track we done the previous Saturday as the beginnings of our Mountain Skills course.

1theeasybit.jpg

Some of the cliffs and ridge of Binn Shleibhe or Mount Gable and islands out on the Corrib.

3ridgeandcliffs.jpg

A Turf wall, used in times past for drying turf... No prizes for origin of the name then :D Saw a few of them around the area, always slightly improved ground around them with the sheep lying there for shelter and manuring around the wall.

3turfwall.jpg

Deserted famine village by Coolin Lough. Still easy going.

4faminevillage.jpg

5faminevillage.jpg

Some of us, no names mentioned, ahem :o:o:o:o:o, discovered we weren't as fit as we thought on the last 1/4 up to the summit of the hill.

Back towards the Maam Turks from the summit of Binn Shleibhe/Mount Gable.

6towardsmaamturks.jpg

Taken from the ridge, Corr Na Mona and part of the Corrib, Arann Islands in the distance.

7corrnamona.jpg

Looking out over the Corrib and Lough Mask.

8corrib.jpg

9mask.jpg

One of our group found this growing among the rocks on 352 on the ridge over An Baile Ard/Ballard. One of our group works in the National Park and I think identified it as a "British Soldier", discovered we had a few comedians directly after that revelation :D

10britishsoldier.jpg

On our way down looking in the Cong/Clonbur direction (roughly), part of the Corrib again.

11waydown.jpg

One of the new carparks built around Binn Shleibhe/Mount Gable as part of the Pilot Mountain Access Scheme, and some relieved walkers :D

12carpark.jpg

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,261 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Ah you're doing the guide course? nice one. yea the gmit lads,i think you had jason and paddy with your group. nice pics :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement