Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

psychiatric medication and violence

• 06-03-2010 10:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭

Do certain types of psychiatric meds make people violent? I have read from various sources that there are many cases of violence in which psychiatric medication has been linked to violent acts.
    http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=55310

When I look up certain psychiatric drugs on a Swedish pharmaceutical website(fass.se) I find that certain psychiatric drugs do have the side effect of causing aggression in some people.

Should psychiatric drugs that are known to make people aggressive be subsidized by the taxpayers?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Does alcohol cause aggressivity or does it facilitate something with the person? Same with aggression and drugs in my experience. The old psychoanalytic joke of the id being that which disolves in alcohol is certainly applicable to ceartain psych drugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭SLUSK

The difference between alcohol and psychiatric drugs in this case is that society does not subsidize alcohol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

What do you mean, that society subsidises the psychiatric drugs? :confused:

If you mean through the medical card etc for eligible citizens, well is it not the same if someone uses their Dole money/childrens allowance etc to buy a 6 pack of Bavaria?

Advertisement