Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire Insurance

Options
  • 06-03-2010 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Despite luckily escaping with our lives in a house fire my neighbour wants his damaged plants replaced,does anyone know how a claim will work? I wouldn't have the nerve myself if it was his house.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭JD24

Damaged plants...... thats new!!

The correct procedure for this is for him/her (or his/her solicitor) to send you a letter. Foward this to your insurance company / broker who deals with your house insurance. If the replacement "damaged plants" cost a few hundred euro (€200/€300) and dependin on your policy excess, chances are you will be paying this out of your own pocket. Do check your policy details though

• Registered Users Posts: 23 ArcherL

Thanks, someone told me because it was his property he had to claim on his own policy and then his insurance company would get it back from mine, as far as the excess goes that's gone on the claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Great to hear that nobody was hurt.

Unless your neighbour can PROVE negligence against you, they have no course of action against you and your insurance. If they have their own cover against this damage and wish to claim on it, so be it. Other advice is incorrect

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

Im sorry but I dont know of any household policy out there that covers plants . Certain houshold policies are extended to cover sheds, Others are extended to cover damage to garden furniture. ( I had a case of a car crash & flying debris damaged a childrens climbing set very badly) However in this case the lawn, plants, trees etc were not covered. In all the flooding cases last year patios, decking etc were covered under the buildings policy but what does a plant even get covered under?? If its classed as a living object it cannot be covered. Animals are not covered under a household policy but rather a seperate animal life cover policy. It is definitely not building & cannot be contents as they are not contained within the property/shed. remember a bicycle is only covered if 1. Its an additional extra on the policy 2. Its stored within the property or shed/outhouse.
    Christ I thought I had seen & heard it all in my life as an assessor but this one is taking the biscuit. What did your insurer say ?Im very curious now.

This neighbour thing only happened today, as soon as I speak to my assessor I'll let you know what he says,what you say makes sense,all this is new to me, I think I'm like a lot of others, have insurance but not sure of the specifics. There's nowt stranger than folk.

• Advertisement

ArcherL wrote: »
    This neighbour thing only happened today, as soon as I speak to my assessor I'll let you know what he says,what you say makes sense,all this is new to me, I think I'm like a lot of others, have insurance but not sure of the specifics. There's nowt stranger than folk.

Hence why assessors have jobs... Double dutch to most people being honest. He definitely cannot make a claim on your insurance. It would have to be on his own. & my mind is saying let him off let him make a claim on his own & make a complete fool out of himself. What is he even claiming for? Dead plants ? Smoke damaged plant ? Im sorry but what a tool you have for a neighbour. Its people like him making ridiculous claims that is pushing the price of insurance up for others. Also most excess range now from €300 upwards. So does he reallyhave €300 worth? I honestly dont think he has a claim - unless its under some really strange clause that ive never seen in all my days. Best of luck anyway & glad to hear you & your family were not hurt.

lucy2010 wrote: »
    Im sorry but I dont know of any household policy out there that covers plants . Certain houshold policies are extended to cover sheds, Others are extended to cover damage to garden furniture. ( I had a case of a car crash & flying debris damaged a childrens climbing set very badly) However in this case the lawn, plants, trees etc were not covered. In all the flooding cases last year patios, decking etc were covered under the buildings policy but what does a plant even get covered under?? If its classed as a living object it cannot be covered. Animals are not covered under a household policy but rather a seperate animal life cover policy. It is definitely not building & cannot be contents as they are not contained within the property/shed. remember a bicycle is only covered if 1. Its an additional extra on the policy 2. Its stored within the property or shed/outhouse.
    Christ I thought I had seen & heard it all in my life as an assessor
    but this one is taking the biscuit. What did your insurer say ?Im very curious now.
    The OP has said that this is his neighbours plants that have been damaged. Surely you should know that it is of no importance what is or isn't covered under the property section of the OP's policy. This is an issue of whether he is or isn't negligent for damaging his neighbour's property, which is very unlikely. But if he is, the claimant can sue for these losses and it is covered under the public liability section of a household comprehensive policy

oldyouth wrote: »
    The OP has said that this is his neighbours plants that have been damaged. Surely you should know that it is of no importance what is or isn't covered under the property section of the OP's policy. This is an issue of whether he is or isn't negligent for damaging his neighbour's property, which is very unlikely. But if he is, the claimant can sue for these losses and it is covered under the public liability section of a household comprehensive policy

I wasnt quoting on the OP's policy in this case - I was generalising.

I wasnt quoting on the OP's policy in this case - I was generalising.
    So was I, but you were directing the OP to the wrong aspect of cover for the circumstances

oldyouth wrote: »
    So was I, but you were directing the OP to the wrong aspect of cover for the circumstances

No you stated " Surely you should know. "

Im not directing anybody - im simply curious ..

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I honestly dont think he has a claim - unless its under some really strange clause that ive never seen in all my days. Best of luck anyway & glad to hear you & your family were not hurt.

How about Jimmy Joe next door comes home. He's raging drunk and puts on the deep fryer to have a few chips before bed. Jimmy Joe falls asleep. Chip pan goes on fire. House goes up. Fire damages neighbours specimen plants.

So neighbour can lodge a claim against Jimmy Joe and if Jimmy Joe has 3rd party liability then that will pay out.

Now I've a normal ome insurance policy and it has had this liability clause in it for years. Doesn't seem "really strange" to me though I'm not an assessor.

No you stated " Surely you should know. "

Im not directing anybody - im simply curious ..
    I used the phrase 'surely you know' because you mentioned you were an assessor.

parsi wrote: »
    How about Jimmy Joe next door comes home. He's raging drunk and puts on the deep fryer to have a few chips before bed. Jimmy Joe falls asleep. Chip pan goes on fire. House goes up. Fire damages neighbours specimen plants.

So neighbour can lodge a claim against Jimmy Joe and if Jimmy Joe has 3rd party liability then that will pay out.

Now I've a normal ome insurance policy and it has had this liability clause in it for years. Doesn't seem "really strange" to me though I'm not an assessor.
    You're perfectly correct Parsi, your example is of a negligent act that affects a neighbour

with regard to the initial post, I've been told that the "Accidental Fires Act 1943" I do not have any responsibility for the spreading of fire or associated damage smoke, water etc. Therefore I am not obliged legally to compensate him. Some Insurers do cover trees, shrubs and lawns damaged by an insured peril and his policy may cover the damage sustained to his plants.

Advertisement