Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Normans - printer problem

Options
  • 06-03-2010 10:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We're having a problem with a printer bought in Harvey Normans, I've posted about the problem before, in the "best and worsdt customer service" megathread.

However, now we have the same problem again, a few days ago, I used the printer, printed off two pictures, and then it said "paper jam", and hasn't worked since. This happened on Tuesday or Wednesday. But there is no paper in it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63405959&postcount=918

So my mum tried phoning HN's and the warranty company and neither of the places answered the phones.

We're going out to Harvey Normans tomorrow and mam is going to speak to the assistant. manager (she is there on weekends) and explain the problems.

Mama wa slooking at the documentation from the last time we had the printer at Harvey Normas, and it was in July last year, when we had the same "paper jam" problem, and but as the printer was replaced te August before (Aug '08), and the warranty expired in Aug '09, is there anything we can do?

The last time we brought the printer to HN's and they repaired it was in July 2009, so not even a year ago.

Tbh, we're just sick and tired of constantly having to go to them.

It's costing a fortune in taxi's back and fourth when we're bringing it to them and then collecting it.

So far, mam reckons, it's cost the best part of €100, if not more.

What can we do? If anything?

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If you got a new printer, then you should have gotten a new warranty with the new printer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Well, you bought the original printer and and had problems, HN sent it away for repair, it couldn't be repaired so they gave you a new one? - No problem here.

Now you're having the same problems with the same model printer. You should be in warranty, in that case they'll give you a new one.

My advice is to buy a better printer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

dudara wrote: »
    If you got a new printer, then you should have gotten a new warranty with the new printer.
    Highly doubt it, warranty is usually from original buy date only even if the item is replaced.

Any way I'd try to leverage the problems as a down payment on a new printer and buy something better instead. Personally I'm biased towards laser printers because they have given me the least amount of hassle between work and private life during the last 15 years and color laser printers are not that expensive these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,079 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Nody wrote: »
    Highly doubt it, warranty is usually from original buy date only even if the item is replaced.

Any way I'd try to leverage the problems as a down payment on a new printer and buy something better instead. Personally I'm biased towards laser printers because they have given me the least amount of hassle between work and private life during the last 15 years and color laser printers are not that expensive these days.

That was definitely the case with a dead kettle that we had from them. It got replaced twice inside the original 2 year guarantee period.

and OP, which printer model is it? The same fault in two of these printers could mean a manufacturing defect. Google might throw up a horde of irate people who've had the same problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

dudara wrote: »
    We did.

However, the printer was replaced in August 2008 and it was only a 12 month warranty, so the warranty expired in August 2009.

The last time we had the printer at HN's was in July 2009, one month before the warranty expired.
    Well, you bought the original printer and and had problems, HN sent it away for repair, it couldn't be repaired so they gave you a new one? - No problem here.

Now you're having the same problems with the same model printer. You should be in warranty, in that case they'll give you a new one.

My advice is to buy a better printer.
    No, we're having problems with a different model printer. The original printer was an Epson brand (can't remember the exact model) and it was replaced with a Brother MFC-680CN.
    Nody wrote: »
    When the printer was replaced, it came with a 12 month warranty.
    ejmaztec wrote: »
    and OP, which printer model is it? The same fault in two of these printers could mean a manufacturing defect. Google might throw up a horde of irate people who've had the same problem.
    We now have a Brother MFC-680CN. Our original printer was an Epson one, I cannot remember the exact model.

I have looked on Google and cannot find anything about anyone having the same problem.

Thank you all for your replies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Read this.

I would take a printer back within 4 years I reckon, so I would do as the poster did in the above thread if you have the receipt. Deal with HN directly. Use a letter if needed.

Another thought though, you using the right paper?

ch750536 wrote: »
    Read this.

I would take a printer back within 4 years I reckon, so I would do as the poster did in the above thread if you have the receipt. Deal with HN directly. Use a letter if needed.
    Thank you for that, I will read the thread you linked to.
    ch750536 wrote: »
    Another thought though, you using the right paper?
    Yes.

My mum checked with them (more than once) and they said the paper we are using is fine.

We have used the Brother printer before to print out stuff and it has worked, but every so often we get the "paper jam" problem, even though there's no paper jammed in the machine.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Thank you.

But as I said we have this problem even if/when there is no paper in the machine.

• Advertisement

Thank you.

But as I said we have this problem even if/when there is no paper in the machine.

There could be a scrap of paper or something floating around the paper route inside the printer.

Paper jams are quite common with printers but its not a fault, just a normal operation to open it up & remove the paper.

Becomes a fault if there is no paper though.

I had so many problems with a Brother multifunction printer, I took it to the dump (after finishing it off with a hammer). I've got a couple of Canon printers now and would never touch another Brother with a bargepole.

Advertisement