Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby Sitting - How much to charge

Options
  • 06-03-2010 11:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,

Starting a new babysitting job in limerick city soon, and I am unsure of what to charge. I am half way through my degree, have a basic first aid cert, and lots of experience with children. The kids are 5 mnts and nearly 3.

What is the usual fees?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PhysiologyRocks

I'm normally given 10 euro per hour in Cork, and if necessary, some families get me a cab home too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

€7 per hour seems the norm in Waterford even for those with childcare qualifications.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 desper8hsewife

i have a 4 yr old. i giv my regular girl 8e an hr before midnight and 10e aftr midnight. but i only use her in evenings and rarely too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 speedscot

I'm in Wexford and pay my girl €10 an hour and the full run of the fridge and kettle (which she well uses!) and she drives herself home fortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Assuming you have your own transport, I'd say ten euro per hour is about right.

Then again, I usually prefer to let the parents set the price. If they pay well, great. If not, I'll still babysit for them and I won't ask for more ... but I won't go out of my way to make myself available for them, I only do it if it suits me and if I'll be sitting at home otherwise. One family I babysat for very regularly used to pay me approx 12 euro per hour, but as far as I was concerned that price wasn't just paying me for the "work" I did when I was there, it also was compensation for me cancelling nights out or other plans at short notice if they needed me.

By the way, I assume you're talking about casual babysitting in the evenings, as opposed to an actual childminding position?

• Advertisement
Advertisement