Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom wont oversell me their broadband

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭HereticPrincess

It looks like you may only be able for 1mb.

The 8mb package, would constantly disconnect your line & would be more frustrating than having no broadband.

Are you outside Dublin?
    Could be quite a distance from the nearest exchange, or just old lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭teddy b123

yeah im outside dublin, and the shortest route the phone cable can take to the exchange is 6.5KM

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

It looks like you may only be able for 1mb.

The 8mb package, would constantly disconnect your line & would be more frustrating than having no broadband.

Are you outside Dublin?
    Could be quite a distance from the nearest exchange, or just old lines.
    That's an interesting conclusion, the poster is able to sync up to 2 mbps and seems to manage 1.6 with stability... That wouldn't change on any higher speed package as the business package also uses the same RADSL.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I see in your earlier reply that you did highlight an ADSL2+ product, that's fair enough. So you didn't say that they only provided ADSL1:)

The public availability of the fixed products do seem to be fairly limited, BT retail don't seem too bothered to provide them either. In fact, I could only come across one example of a fixed 1 mbit product being offered on various websites. My "study" was pretty inconclusive though!

Fixed
    1MB
    &
    2MB are available on every exchange in the UK...obviously line quality will limit you to what product you can actually avail of.

Its actually pretty common for ISP's in the UK to take end users of a Max profile if their line is very bad quality and instead stick them on a 512K profile as this will more then likely provide a more stable service when compared to Max (this normally only applys to so called "long lines" after a SSFP socket is fitted).

ISP's all tend to provision lines for ADSL Max or ADSL2+ due to it costing pretty much the same as provisioning a line for a fixed service compared to max and that max will in most situations provide a faster service.

Just had the most entertaining conversation with a lass in the complaints department of eircom

She says that shes also heard nothing of the €2 per GB change
    She said to me: "my god you've used alot this month"
    She also said: "Eircom only charge for excess usage for downloading songs, you can download 6000 Songs a month but if you go over that they charge 5 Cent per song" -Now thats one i haven't heard from eircom before :rolleyes:
    She also kept saying im on the 3 MegaBYTE package and every time she said that i corrected her by saying, no, its megabit. She finally got the hint.
    Again just thought id put this up

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

teddy b123 wrote: »
    Just had the most entertaining conversation with a lass in the complaints department of eircom

She also said: "Eircom only charge for excess usage for downloading songs, you can download 6000 Songs a month but if you go over that they charge 5 Cent per song" -Now thats one i haven't heard from eircom before :rolleyes:
    She also kept saying im on the 3 MegaBYTE package and every time she said that i corrected her by saying, no, its megabit. She finally got the hint.

Don't you sound delightful.

Ok, it appears we're getting places with eircom :D:D:D
    Dunno if this is a step forward or backwards but anyway, the eircom broadband Tech support lad said my line can support up to 3.7 megabit (1st person in eircon to say megabit too) he increased my speed profile to
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 3072 384 SN Margin (dB) -2.00 13.00 Line Attenuation (dB) 54.50 31.00 CRC Errors 0 1

But it appears to have settled at
    Downstream Upstream Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 3072 384 SN Margin (dB) 8.00 12.00 Line Attenuation (dB) 53.50 31.00 CRC Errors 0 1
    Now to ring sales and see has this made things change at their end as im theoretically in the Up to 8 megabit range now

Don't you sound delightful.

I did it in the nicest way possible

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Why would anyone working in a complaints department need to know the difference between bits bytes etc? there are plenty of people who are regulars on boards (incl myself) who never quite come to terms with it.

You seem to know all the answers - on your own admission you have loads of stuff downloaded that you can either watch or listen to or whatever so why do you keep ringing them?:rolleyes:

Cause i really enjoy speaking to them :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Cause i really enjoy speaking to them :P

I wonder if the feeling is mutual!:rolleyes:

Probably not :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Cabaal wrote: »
    I'd imagine Eircom don't want to say sell upto 7MB that ends up as 2MB because ultimately it'll piss of customers if this is the speed they end up with.

They did this to me and yes it did piss me off. Left them immediatly, never to return.

It would certainly piss people off if they didn't bother to tell the customer that a speed of 7.6 mbps isn't likely based on their line length.

Eircom should stop playing with people's money and tell them what they're likely to expect when they do buy something. It's up to eircom as they provide the service and are the only ones in a position to know this information. Even ignoring contention, being allowed to sell a product that they know will rarely reach more than half the full speed without telling the customer during ordering, is bad form.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭oppiuy

Suppose to be 1cent per mb once your limit has been exceed. This isnt enforced but its frowned apon if customers are told. We've been told Adsl-2 exchanges are going to be launched pretty soon and up to 8mb will be the basic package on those exchanges.. But ive been hearing this for a while..
    150 exchanges have been launched that with up 24mb speeds- new modem needed but most lines cant take 24mb. Average is 17mb. 69.99 is the cheapest available for that one but havent had a feedback from customers on how reliable and fast is really is yet..

Sorry is this is disjointed, im in a hurry

The current eircom issue netopia 2247s can do ADSL2 sure? It's a pretty widespread modem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

pssst! Eircom have never charged or cut anyone off for going over the limit so all their packages are in essense already unlimited. :pac:

Havn't read past page one but when I saw this I had to quote it. Eircom can charge and DO!

Just because you havn't been charged yet for breaking the cap, does not mean you will always get away with it. OH's mother was charged when the sons were up for a few weeks and on all the laptops, xboxes etc etc.

One was downloading and streaming youtube non stop apparently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

Just had a nice little chat with another eircom sales rep, here's what
    I've learnt from it:
    1. I can't get the up to 7.6mb broadband because the box for that
    option is grayed out (he'd add it if he could)
    2. He has heard nothing about the impending €2 per GB price change
    3. He does not know the difference between megabit and megabyte and
    keeps refering to the packages as x megabytes a second
    4. He claims that the excess usage is now, and has been for the past 4
    & 1/2 years 4c per megabyte

Just thought I'd let you guys know that

Aside from that I have a few questions,
    why am I repeatedly being told that if I try to go on a package higher
    up than my line can support I will get constant disconnects, I'm on
    the 3mbit package now, my line can support slightly over 2mbit and my
    modem is synching with the exchange at 1600kbps at the moment most
    other times I get 2xxx kbps sync speed. It hasn't disconected once
    while I was using it and has never attempted to synch at the full
    3mbit because it knows my line won't support it

Also. Does any broadband sales rep in eircom know the right excess
    usage charge is? I have rang them on many occasions and always get
    different answers and rarely get told the right one (1c per mb)

even the eircom tech-support guys don't seem to know the difference between megabit and megabyte.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭thisisadamh

Eircom should have GB add ons. So people can add on say 30 GB on to their package.

Advertisement