Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC2 Tomorrow Night 9pm

Options
  • 06-03-2010 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

New 5-parter called Wonders Of The Solar System, the first episode is called Empire Of The Sun, I'll be recording that....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Old'n'Cranky

I even read that thread during the week......:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

Just bumping this up as the program has started. I recognise the guy presenting it from before he works at CERN in Switzerland on the LHC if i remember rightly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

djhaxman wrote: »
    Just bumping this up as the program has started. I recognise the guy presenting it from before he works at CERN in Switzerland on the LHC if i remember rightly.
    Professor Brian Cox..cool guy who is able to communicate to beauty of science to the common man/woman:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

Got an alright job hasn't he? :D

Nothing new here, but you're right, he explains it really well.

• Advertisement

Exellent programme even if most of it already familair to space cadets!

In honour of our suns progress

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭akkadian

OldnCranky wrote: »
    New 5-parter called Wonders Of The Solar System, the first episode is called Empire Of The Sun, I'll be recording that....

Loved it!
    A really nice, fresh look at the the intimate connection between the Earth and Sun.
    Everything about it was great. I especially liked how he used to prism to demonstrate why most plants are green, The sun itself is the most interesting so the best part is probably already over for me, but I'll still make sure to watch it next week as he's a great presenter - passionate about his work :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

Nice one Old&Cranky,i only saw the last twenty minutes of it and had not got it set to record,anybody know if the first episode will get a repeat?
    The more i learn the more i realise how little i know!:)

I will not attempt to spell the scientific name for the 'northern lights':) but astonishing to see that is not just a feature of the Suns effects on Earth but extends to other planets as well! Fantastic images of the 'lights'on the show.
    I did not know that our Sun has an 'athmosphere'either!
    Amazing that Voyagers signals are still being received!{I would love to have a copy of the book he showed saying "if you see Stars at this facility,please consult a doctor:D

Totally agree with You Beeker that Cox has the communication skills to make Nerdy/Geeky stuff appealing to all!{Right up there with David Attenborough}
    He/the BBC were a bit naughty showing Cox taking a pic of the total eclipse without a "do not try this at home" warning,but guess i'll forgive them for the brilliance of the show!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

ynotdu wrote: »
    Nice one Old&Cranky,i only saw the last twenty minutes of it and had not got it set to record,anybody know if the first episode will get a repeat?

7pm Tuesday on BBC2.

mike65 wrote: »

Terrible when that hapens aint it mike 65 and Kevster!:p:D

• Advertisement

ynotdu wrote: »
    Totally agree with You Beeker that Cox has the communication skills to make Nerdy/Geeky stuff appealing to all!{Right up there with David Attenborough}
    He/the BBC were a bit naughty showing Cox taking a pic of the total eclipse without a "do not try this at home" warning,but guess i'll forgive them for the brilliance of the show!:)

He made it clear what he was doing was dangerous, as he mentioned the use of a very strong filter to protect the camera.

Oh yeah loved the footage of a Martian sunset :)

I haven't even watched it yet, I'm a complete novice to all this stuff............

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

mike65 wrote: »
    He made it clear what he was doing was dangerous, as he mentioned the use of a very strong filter to protect the camera.

Oh yeah loved the footage of a Martian sunset :)

there were also lots of shots of him staring directly at the eclipse which is something we're told not to do everytime there's an eclipse in Ireland.

Prof Cox is a very naughty scientist.

Great show though. The sun is very cool.

Hot actually. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

If any of you have a copy of Sunshine on DVD, he was their science advisor and his commentary track on the DVD is well worth a listen.

Akrasia wrote: »
    there were also lots of shots of him staring directly at the eclipse which is something we're told not to do everytime there's an eclipse in Ireland.

Prof Cox is a very naughty scientist.

Great show though. The sun is very cool.

Well right at the end Akrasia he held a digital camera,not a filtered scope or cam in front of his eye,which is what i was talking about.He done it for dramatic effect!

So Mikey i decided it was not worth an argument and just thanked Your reply,as i said i missed most of it but i will set the repeat to record,i'm sure there was warnings about filtering,but You should watch the last couple of minutes again!:)

I kid You not that one time there was VERY partial eclipse of the sun i was using a magnifying glass to enlarge and project the image onto a screen in the garden when My Younger sister grabbed the magnifying glass and was going to look directly at the sun with it,I dont usually boast but if the IRFU had seen me rugby tackle her i would be playing for Ireland!!!!!!:)
    She is considered VERY hot by her boyfriend!:)
    Still it was a bit irresponsible that scene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

I was disappointed with the programme. It was tailored for beginners and I learned absolutely nothing from it. However, remember in the first half when he was on the Iguacu river? - I was there :P

Hopefully next week's one will be more for the advanced amongst us. Until then, I think BBC's Horizon tomorrow night is something to do with cosmology too.

Indeed: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00rgg31

Kevster wrote: »
    I was disappointed with the programme. It was tailored for beginners and I learned absolutely nothing from it. However, remember in the first half when he was on the Iguacu river? - I was there :P

Hopefully next week's one will be more for the advanced amongst us. Until then, I think BBC's Horizon tomorrow night is something to do with cosmology too.

Indeed: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00rgg31
    Well that's why you're not presenting it (not that you're an esteemed Phd physicist)
    To be highly intelligent, yet humble enough to reach out to the layman, is certainly not common in this world. I know my azimuth from my right ascension/declination , but I'll still admit I really enjoyed it. Very human presentation!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

akkadian wrote: »
    To be highly intelligent, yet humble enough to reach out to the layman, is certainly not common in this world. I know my azimuth from my right ascension/declination , but I'll still admit I really enjoyed it. Very human presentation!
    I have a Phd, but learned a few things. Anything actually aimed at me would have been watched by fewer people than a Monaghan United home game. It's a nice presentation. Anyone who wants more technical content will have to look for it online.

mikhail wrote: »
    I have a Phd, but learned a few things. Anything actually aimed at me would have been watched by fewer people than a Monaghan United home game. It's a nice presentation. Anyone who wants more technical content will have to look for it online.
    Maybe u could make something. The link between ancient Irish archaeology and astronomy is interesting, :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Anyone watch tonights episode about dark matter/energy/flow.
    I've had a distant interest in astronomy/cosmolgy for years now but just adding "dark" in front of something and add it into an equation just seems very wrong to me.
    It was interesting though (apart from telling us 50times how the universe was started)

Horizon has been getting better recently after it went through its terrible presenter based period. I've always found it was best when talking about physics based subjects

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Savage Cabbage

First episode was brilliant really well described for the average joe... i.e. ME :D who has an interest.

I also saw Brian Cox on some BBC show the other weekend where he ran through CERN he is brilliant at breaking things down and explaining the basics simply ... still cant forgive him for being in D:Ream though but hey "things can only get better" :eek: ... oh dear I'll get my coat shall I?

Bump, tonight its all about
    Professor Brian Cox visits some of the most stunning locations on earth to describe how the laws of nature have carved natural wonders across the solar system.

Brian reveals how beauty and order in Earth's cosmic backyard was formed from nothing more than a chaotic cloud of gas. Chasing tornados in Oklahoma, he explains how the same physics that creates these spinning storms shaped the young solar system. Out of this celestial maelstrom emerged the jewel in the crown, Brian's second wonder - the magnficent rings of Saturn.

On an ice-choked lagoon in Iceland, he sees the nearest thing on Earth to Saturn's rings. Using the latest scientific imagery and breathtaking graphics, he explains how the intricate patterns round Saturn are shaped by the cluster of more than 60 moons surrounding the planet.

One of those moons makes a spectacular contribution to the rings and is the third wonder of the solar system. Brian describes the astonishing discovery of giant fountains of ice erupting from the surface of Enceladus, which soar thousands of kilometres into space.

I haven't even watched last weeks yet!

Saturn, its great! :)

This thread about the BBC programme is much more tolerable than my thread about the same (http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055849473), which has been hijacked by guys who just post diatribes, expecting everyone else to just sit and read. How can anyone be more idiotic and disrespectful?

Anyway, tonight's show was better than last weeks', but the only new thing I learn was about the apparent retrograde orbits of planets. I thought that was quite neat... ...I didn't get it at first, but then thought about it while ironing my clothes and it then struck me (the theory, not the iron).

Kevin

The section of Ring E and its moon Enceladus was interesting, Ring E will have to be renamed at some distant point I guess as Enceladus will have become the ring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Incredible .....

Loved that line after he worked out the suns average energy output per second... "And we worked that out using a thermometor, an umbrella water and a tin .... and that's why I love physics" ....

is coming out on BluRay too in April ... I might just buy it ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

thats a Canon 5D MKII Brian Cox is using aswell ....

:)

Advertisement