Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics definitions

Options
  • 07-03-2010 12:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭

Anyone know what the story with physics definitions is for this year?

We just our mocks back and any definition expressed mathematically was given zero.

I know the new tables are a big help, but does anyone have the Department's take on it? Are they not gonna accept formulae with notation for definitions this year?

Cheers

-L

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭DC09

Anyone know what the story with physics definitions is for this year?

We just our mocks back and any definition expressed mathematically was given zero.

I know the new tables are a big help, but does anyone have the Department's take on it? Are they not gonna accept formulae with notation for definitions this year?

Cheers

-L
    I doubt it, they might not ask ones that are in the tables or write 'in words' on the paper or something

Either way i dont think theres going to be a question where we can just get the answer directly out of the tables, they'll make sure of that:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭straight_As

DC09 wrote: »
    I doubt it, they might not ask ones that are in the tables or write 'in words' on the paper or something

Either way i dont think theres going to be a question where we can just get the answer directly out of the tables, they'll make sure of that:(

Yeah they better say it explicitly! Or else just not ask definitions.

I know that's obviously never going to happen, but if they're throwing them at us in the loggies then why bother?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

Well in the book "Exam Edge", when they give model answers, they use the formulae given in the log tables, then just explained what all the symbol meant e.g for magnetic flux density they said:

A=area, B= Magnetic flux density, "Insert symbol"= Magnetic Flux.

I learn definitions by words most of the time and the logs help verify whether I'm correct in certain rules such as knowing in Couloumb's law, what's inversely and what's directly proportional.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

My teacher reckons that if they accepted it every other year, why would they stop accepting it this year. If they were going to do that, they would have to leave word with the teachers.

However, I think that since there is all this fuss about grade inflation, but the papers are already written, they will 'tighten' the marking scheme (in all subjects). This could include only accepting word definitions.

Also, I expect to see more derivations on the paper as a result of the tables, but if you know them they are easy marks (and you know if you're right when you finish!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Personally speaking, I'm going to use both if asked for a definition. Just for peace of mind. And it's a difficult enough exam to gauge, I find, so I want to give them no excuse to take marks away/not give marks, you know? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

For most formulae, you can quite easily get the notation by just looking at the formula in tables and putting it into words.

eg. Density = Mass/Volume. Density is equal to mass per unit volume
    Pressure = Force/Area. Pressure is equal to force per unit area.

For other formulae, you can let stuff equals 1. For example, if you were asked to define the Newton.
    F = ma Let F = 1 N, m=1kg, a=1m/s^2
    1 Newton is the force that gives a mass of 1 kg an acceleration of 1 m/s^2

When used cleverly, the tables can be extremely helpful!

As for ones like Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, I'm not sure if they ever gave full marks JUST for the formula, so you'd need notation anyway (is the force of attraction between two point masses in the universe directly proportional to the produce of the masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

I don't think any marks will be given for definitions expressed solely through formulae. Not only are these now in the tables, what the symbols stand for are also contained in there.
    I'd learn them in terms of words and put any relevant formula too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭straight_As

Sound lads!

Yeah I'm gonna go for the give both approach. They can't fuck us over then!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

That's probably the best approach, given your username and all ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

You wont be tight for time in Physics, and you should know the word definitions, so just write both :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I don't know the actual guidelines for grading the LC, but answering with a mathematical formula where you mention what each symbol is should be perfectly acceptable (quite frankly, its a better answer than putting it in words). Writing a formula without mentioning what each symbol stands for is not much better than random gibberish.

It somewhat depends on what you're being asked to define though. If asked to define a Volt for instance, you can not write V = IR, as that is not the definition of a volt, merely an expression involving voltage.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Podge_irl wrote: »
    It somewhat depends on what you're being asked to define though. If asked to define a Volt for instance, you can not write V = IR, as that is not the definition of a volt, merely an expression involving voltage.

True, but you could say V=W/Q, as this does define the volt.

The actual definition is something like 'the p.d. is the work done per unit charge' which is basically saying the above formula in words.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

http://thephysicsteacher.ie/leavingcertphysicsrevision.html

The best website ever. My physics teacher swears by it.

Advertisement