Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glee...is it tween?

• 07-03-2010 1:13am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

You know, i get alot of sh*t off people for being too "tween" in my telly viewing choices :rolleyes: , but is Glee consider tween?

It has some tween qualities, but i think it appeals to al ages myself...whatcha think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

To be honest, I don't really care how it is considered.

I enjoy it and it makes me happy. That's all that matters to me! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I don't think it's tween because it approaches serious issues.

It has the religious far right in America up in arms over the Quinn character and to be fair, you could well see the character as an attack on the "hypocrisy" of some religious people.

In regards to the character of Kurt, in one sense he is the stereotypical gay person. However his dad is not the stereotypical homophobe who can't handle his "queen" of a son. I think this is great because it sends out a positive message, too many times shows go for the "drama" when doing storylines about gay people where their family disown them. That's a negative message that would actually discourage people from coming out. What Glee has done is say "Hey, sometimes, give your family some respect, they might surprise you."

What of the character of Mercedes? If the show was truly for tweens they would have gotten a stick thin actress to play her. Rather, you have a confident and very talented character who doesn't let her weight get her down.

There are one or two storylines though that I find very superficial. Take for example the (non existent) love triangle of Emma, Will and Ken. It has a very much "the beautiful people" vibe about it where Ken is the stereotypical slob with an unattractive personality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I think it does appeal to the tween crowd, but I wouldn't put it on the same level as Hannah Montana or other Disney shows that are written to appeal solely to tweens. I think the show is clever enough to have a broader appeal. It's cheesy, but it's intentionally cheesy; it parodies itself. And like LZ5by5 pointed out, it breaks from stereotypes at times and tries to tackle serious issues in a realistic way (or rather, as realistic as Glee can get). I enjoy it and I'm 28. Most of my friends enjoy it - especially those who did glee club/show choir/musical theater. And a lot of my friends who have no experience in anything like a glee club like it.

Advertisement