Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Licensing laws

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

anymore wrote: »

I am afraid I have enough problems dealing with the predominant culture of the republic without a slew of other cultures sticking thier oars in as well !
    For the record Article one of the Constitutiion and the preamble makes clear what the prevaling culture of Ireland is. So talk about ' multicculturalism is just talk.
    I am not a practioneer of any religion now and i can see secular reasons for leaving pubs closed on just two days out of 365.
    I suspect most people objecting to the closure of pubs on good friday will be running to church or mosque or what ever for marriages, funerals etc etc.
    There is life outside of pubs, do without the crutch of the pub for two days !

You have completely missed the point of my argument.
    P>s I tought most Irish people went off the jar for lent anyway ?

Not one person I know has ever given up alcohol for lent. About 3/4 of my friends are catholic, the rest are atheist.

If people wish to give up alcohol on certain days of the year for their personal religious beliefs, that is fine. But the state should not be enforcing that on everyone.

I have yet to hear a convincing argument in favour of the law as it stands.
    Saying "its only 2 days a year" is not an argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

Fred83 wrote: »
    not sure about the 24 hour thing,ireland been ireland we would never leave the pub then,guards probably be happy tho with the amount of overtime they would get for it,also if the rugby match wasnt on good friday we prob woundnt hear a plead for pubs opening,i only pity the tourists who no doubtly will get roasted by the pubs/hotels on the day.

24 hour opening is a separate issue, and one I would have reservations about myself.

I have been unhappy for years about the Good Friday thing, as I suspect many others have. It has taken the rugby match to put the issue out in the open through the media. People are writing letters into the editor of various newspapers both in support and against the opening of pubs on Good Friday, so it's a good thing that it has stimulated debate. I just hope our politicians see sense now and change the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

i guess people have other good point of holy ireland died the day the abuse scandals came out and no one really listens to the church anymore,i think this rugby thing is like the all ireland,people who arent the real fans and never turn up at the other games will go the final in pub because its an excuse for a big piss up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

I fully support pubs closing on Good Friday. I fully support pubs only opening from 21.00 - 23.30. I fully support pubs closing Sunday through Thursday. I fully support all these things if the pub in question wants to do so. I also fully support a pub being open 24/7, 365 days a year, if it wants to. There is absolutely no reasonable excuse for restricting a business (any business) from choosing its own opening hours. They should be fully bound by employment legislation, especially in relation to public holidays, but there's is no viable reason for singling out one type of business over another.

And to those who apparently think Good Friday is a public holiday, it's not. These are the holidays that are legally treated differently. Good Friday is just another working day, unless the employer chooses

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

28064212 wrote: »
    I fully support pubs closing on Good Friday. I fully support pubs only opening from 21.00 - 23.30. I fully support pubs closing Sunday through Thursday. I fully support all these things if the pub in question wants to do so. I also fully support a pub being open 24/7, 365 days a year, if it wants to. There is absolutely no reasonable excuse for restricting a business (any business) from choosing its own opening hours. They should be fully bound by employment legislation, especially in relation to public holidays, but there's is no viable reason for singling out one type of business over another.

And to those who apparently think Good Friday is a public holiday, it's not. These are the holidays that are legally treated differently. Good Friday is just another working day, unless the employer chooses
    As an atheist I say keep pubs closed on good friday - it might make a lot of Irish people realise you can spend the first night of a weekend without actually going into a pub. Irish social life was traditionally dominated by the pub and the manner in which the vinters destroyed McDowell's cafe/alcohol licence proposals was a sign of how they were determined to quash alternative competition to them.
    Free Irleand from the Vintners - keep the pubs closed !

• Advertisement

anymore wrote: »
    As an atheist I say keep pubs closed on good friday - it might make a lot of Irish people realise you can spend the first night of a weekend without actually going into a pub. Irish social life was traditionally dominated by the pub and the manner in which the vinters destroyed McDowell's cafe/alcohol licence proposals was a sign of how they were determined to quash alternative competition to them.
    Free Irleand from the Vintners - keep the pubs closed !
    If we relaxed the antiquated licencing laws (like the one closing the pubs on Good Friday) we could actually have café bars here. And "Free Ireland" by restricting the choice of adults?

The reasoning behind "it might make a lot of Irish people realise..." is part of the problem behind Ireland's attitude to alcohol. Rather than actually try and educate people to use alcohol responsibly, use an unrelated draconian measure to try and prevent people from using it at all. And unless you believe that there are significant numbers of people out there who spend 51 Fridays of the year in the pub, I think most of them are aware you don't need to spend the first night of the weekend in the pub

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

A bizzare event i remember was when the G.A.A turned down sponsorship from boylesports but had no problem taking money from guinness,and of course it all boils down to money,they make an roasting from beer at festivals like oxygen..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

syklops wrote: »
    So your saying just grin and bear it?

I am sure numerous abuse victims heard that aswell.

Yes he can. In fact Pope John Paul II was partial to a few shots of vodka after Mass. I dont mean that in any way to be disrespectful to him. I am stating fact.

This is becoming ridiculous, is that your catch all phrase when stuck on thinking of what to say when slagging off the church - bring in the Victims, like some do about Gerry McCabe when talking about the IRA.

How the hell is your life going to alter if a public house is closed for one day. How can you compare your restricted right to buy material and the abuse of victims of an institutions. Compare like with like please and stop with the hysterical fodder

No doubt you wil lsay ah but you are missing the picture etc, well look, people have ignored the Church (in many instances, rightly so) on issues such as family planning, abortions,attending mass, adultery, murder, rape etc(obviously last three not so good, but that it not church preachings) Despite what the canon has said over the years, no one has being cast into the fires of hell for eating meat on Friday.

I wonder are there any nationwide polls in relation to this motion?

If there was actually a majority how favoured or did not see a problem with the licence laws in relation to Good Friday, then what? throw your toys out of the pram and scream what about me, what about my rights? THat, I think is what OP means by bear and grin it

zootroid wrote: »
    You have completely missed the point of my argument.

Not one person I know has ever given up alcohol for lent. About 3/4 of my friends are catholic, the rest are atheist.

If people wish to give up alcohol on certain days of the year for their personal religious beliefs, that is fine. But the state should not be enforcing that on everyone.

I have yet to hear a convincing argument in favour of the law as it stands.
    Saying "its only 2 days a year" is not an argument.

Repeat after me, 1.2.3

NO ONE IS STOPPING YOU FROM DRINKING ALCOHOL OR EATING MEAT ON GOOD FRIDAY (have a look around the usual busy clubs and pubs and you will surely get something open at 12 that night)

A majority of people either seem happy enough or not bothered about it as it has never really seem to be an issue before, bar a few rugby boys who seem more interested in being seen at the game for 2 minutes and in Flannery's or whatever other pubs there are in Limerick for the rest of the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

A majority of people either seem happy enough or not bothered about it as it has never really seem to be an issue before, bar a few rugby boys who seem more interested in being seen at the game for 2 minutes and in Flannery's or whatever other pubs there are in Limerick for the rest of the night.

Do you honestly think a majority of people feel that the law should remain? Seriously?

Just because people aren't out protesting over it doesn't mean they support it. Acceptance of a law does not equal support for it.

It's hardly an issue that's going to cause a revolution, after all.

If you think so many people are "happy enough or not bothered about it", then explain why the day before ("Holy Thursday") is the busiest day of the year for off-licenses? Or why a good number people go up North, where the pubs and clubs can open both on Good Friday and Christmas Day?

• Advertisement

Repeat after me, 1.2.3

NO ONE IS STOPPING YOU FROM DRINKING ALCOHOL OR EATING MEAT ON GOOD FRIDAY
    But pubs are being stopped from selling alcohol, for no legitimate reason. You don't need a reason to make something legal, you need a reason for it to be illegal.
    That's blatantly not true, just look back through the boards postings for weeks before every Good Friday since boards has been live. There has always been multiple topics with hundreds of posts against it. The only reason it's been thrust further into the limelight this year is because it will have a measurable impact on the livelihoods of pub, restaurant and hotel owners in Limerick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

That's an absurd argument. It relies on the completely unproven assumption that increased licensing hours will worsen the situation, which you haven't demonstrated.
    Not only have you not proven causation, you haven't even demonstrated a link between the two. The only link which is beyond needing demonstration, is the link between those, and the availability at all of alcohol.

Show me that only selling it at certain hours ameliorates the situation in any significant way, and I'll agree with you.

Its not absurd.
    Drinking habits in Ireland are terrible. I don't need somebody on the internet to tell me that and I don't care if you agree with me or not.
    I don't trust the Irish with drink in general.
    Its my point of view based on my experience of Ireland and the Irish at home and abroad. Its also based on what I have seen in the UK, Norway, Australia and Greece.

This is the internet, fella. Not a Dail committee room or the Supreme Court.
    Don't take it so seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

JustinDee wrote: »
    This is the internet, fella. Not a Dail committee room or the Supreme Court.
    Don't take it so seriously.

This is a politics forum on the internet. If you want to discuss things but not take them seriously visit After hours.

Its not absurd.
    Drinking habits in Ireland are terrible. I don't need somebody on the internet to tell me that and I don't care if you agree with me or not.
    I don't trust the Irish with drink in general.
    Actually, it is absurd, and you don't seem to understand their point at all. I agree, Irish drinking habits are terrible, and I don't trust the Irish with drink in general. However, there is no reason to believe that will somehow become worse if the opening times are extended. Do you honestly believe that the best way to deal with the problems alcohol causes after clubs close is to have everyone pour out on to the street at the same time? Do you honestly believe that the best way to teach people to use alcohol responsibly is to perpetuate the "get the last orders in fast" mind-set? Do you honestly believe that restricting the availability of alcohol to set windows of opportunity encourages a positive attitude to it? And do you believe that not selling alcohol on Good Friday has any affect on Irish drinking habits, other than causing resentment?

If the Irish government actually wanted to create a more continental attitude to alcohol, they would allow for 24-hour licences, encourage café-bars and family-friendly bars, and promote the teaching of responsible use of alcohol at secondary school level (rather than the ridiculous concept of trying to encourage abstinence through scare-stories).

This is becoming ridiculous, is that your catch all phrase when stuck on thinking of what to say when slagging off the church - bring in the Victims, like some do about Gerry McCabe when talking about the IRA.

Can you show me where I have ever slagged off the church?
    How the hell is your life going to alter if a public house is closed for one day. How can you compare your restricted right to buy material and the abuse of victims of an institutions. Compare like with like please and stop with the hysterical fodder

I dont understand what your going on about. Please show me where I was hysterical?
    No doubt you wil lsay ah but you are missing the picture etc, well look, people have ignored the Church (in many instances, rightly so) on issues such as family planning, abortions,attending mass, adultery, murder, rape etc(obviously last three not so good, but that it not church preachings) Despite what the canon has said over the years, no one has being cast into the fires of hell for eating meat on Friday.

People have ignored the church because it was not illegal for them to do so(bar obviously abortion). It IS illegal to sell alcohol on Good Friday, and it is wrong!
    I wonder are there any nationwide polls in relation to this motion?

If there was actually a majority how favoured or did not see a problem with the licence laws in relation to Good Friday, then what? throw your toys out of the pram and scream what about me, what about my rights? THat, I think is what OP means by bear and grin it

If there was actually a majority of people who saw no problems with the licensing laws then we would not be having this conversation, but I really dont think thats the case. If it were the case then there would be no increase in the alcohol sold on Holy Thursday. As it turns out Holy Thursday is the busiest day of the year for the sale of alcohol which would seem to me that a large percentage of people are drinking on Good Friday, and if people are drinking on Good friday, then its reasonable to think they might want to go to the pub.

Actually, it is absurd, and you don't seem to understand their point at all. I agree, Irish drinking habits are terrible, and I don't trust the Irish with drink in general. However, there is no reason to believe that will somehow become worse if the opening times are extended. Do you honestly believe that the best way to deal with the problems alcohol causes after clubs close is to have everyone pour out on to the street at the same time? Do you honestly believe that the best way to teach people to use alcohol responsibly is to perpetuate the "get the last orders in fast" mind-set? Do you honestly believe that restricting the availability of alcohol to set windows of opportunity encourages a positive attitude to it? And do you believe that not selling alcohol on Good Friday has any affect on Irish drinking habits, other than causing resentment?

If the Irish government actually wanted to create a more continental attitude to alcohol, they would allow for 24-hour licences, encourage café-bars and family-friendly bars, and promote the teaching of responsible use of alcohol at secondary school level (rather than the ridiculous concept of trying to encourage abstinence through scare-stories).

+1. Perfect post.

When it comes to the Irish drinking habits being terrible, I feel thats a little unfair.

Go into any pub in the afternoon and what do you see. People enjoying drink for what it is. They drink and sit around and catch up on the craic. There is no problem. And you can do that for long periods of time without getting drunk or making an eejit of yourself.

Its the ding-ding last orders that causes the problems.

"Here paddy I got you an extra pint, and a chaser to keep you going for the night"

And then

Ding-ding time to go home! Jaysus Paddy, We better throw back the pint and the chasers.

Earlier in the day when there was no fear of the place closing, Paddy and co were happy to drink in a relaxed fashion. Using pints for the example, probably 1.5 - 2 pints per hour. In the half hour before being turfed out, they consumed 2 pints and a whiskey chaser. Which is alot of alcohol in such a short period of time, and it has to come out somehow. With every pub closing at the same time it means there is not a toilet available anywhere only at home or on the street.

This may sound like a funny little story that suits my point of view, but from being in pubs on both sides of the bar, it is a story that I have seen replayed hundreds of times.

The irish atitude to drink is a result of licensing laws. Not the other way around.

Do you honestly believe that the best way to deal with the problems alcohol causes after clubs close is to have everyone pour out on to the street at the same time?
    I don't feel that you can cure alcoholism or curb binge drinking by giving people more alcohol. Its like passing CCW laws in order to prevent gun crime.
    Do you honestly believe that the best way to teach people to use alcohol responsibly is to perpetuate the "get the last orders in fast" mind-set?
    Last orders are last orders and they have to be taken at some time of the night, in my view.
    Do you honestly believe that restricting the availability of alcohol to set windows of opportunity encourages a positive attitude to it?
    I'm an adult and have managed just fine.
    And do you believe that not selling alcohol on Good Friday has any affect on Irish drinking habits, other than causing resentment?
    You're only backing me up with this point. Two days a year, an Irish person can't do without the pub?
    Its way too late for that. Given the amount of drink-driving that still goes on, for example, people just don't seem to get it.
    i'm all for education of the dangers of alcohol to folk but the attitude to alcohol is down to a person themselves, the way they're brought up and the way they behave among their peers.
    The problem is that people in this country, in my experience anyway, don't seem to like being told what to do.

I don't feel that you can cure alcoholism or curb binge drinking by giving people more alcohol. Its like passing CCW laws in order to prevent gun crime.
    What makes you think alcohol intake will increase? You keep presenting it as a fact, but there's absolutely no evidence to suggest that increasing access makes people drink more. Also, that was irrelevant to the question you were responding to. Do you believe that the best way to deal with the problems alcohol causes after clubs close is to have everyone pour out on to the street at the same time?
    Last orders are last orders and they have to be taken at some time of the night, in my view.
    Yep, they do (unless of course the pub is willing and able to open around the clock). Last orders (to an Irish patron) mean it's your last chance of the night to get a drink. No-one in an Irish pub/night-club leaves at one or two. There's no such thing as going home when you decide to call it a night, the only line is last orders. In France, night-clubs are regularly open til 7am. They're practically empty by the time they actually close, because people make their own minds up when they want to go home. This is also true of the Irish people who go over there btw, they don't have the stamina to stay up til then. And there's no last-gasp rush to the bar to tank up before leaving.
    I'm an adult and have managed just fine.
    That didn't answer the question. And you can't argue on the basis of general Irish drinking habits, then rely on something specific to you to dismiss a point. Do you believe that restricting the availability of alcohol to set windows of opportunity encourages a positive attitude to it?
    You're only backing me up with this point. Two days a year, an Irish person can't do without the pub?
    I reckon every single person in the country does without the pub at least 2 days a week (well, maybe not every single person, but most). The point is, why does the church/government get to decide a specific day that I shouldn't be allowed to drink? If a French family moved here, and in this family it was a yearly tradition that they went for a group drink on Good Friday (which they can do in France), is there any reason that they shouldn't be allowed to? If you think people should be forced to take two days off a year from the pub, at least let them decide when those days should be.
    Its way too late for that. Given the amount of drink-driving that still goes on, for example, people just don't seem to get it.
    i'm all for education of the dangers of alcohol to folk but the attitude to alcohol is down to a person themselves, the way they're brought up and the way they behave among their peers.
    The problem is that people in this country, in my experience anyway, don't seem to like being told what to do.
    It's way too late to change the Irish mindset so we shouldn't try? We should just live with it and try to decrease drinking by more and more restrictions on when and where we can buy it?

Question for you: do you believe we should prohibit alcohol completely? If not, why not?

What makes you think alcohol intake will increase? You keep presenting it as a fact, but there's absolutely no evidence to suggest that increasing access makes people drink more
    I don't present any of this as "fact". Its my view based on my own experiences and I honestly couldn't give a stuff if you disagree or take umbrage with any of it.
    Do you believe that the best way to deal with the problems alcohol causes after clubs close is to have everyone pour out on to the street at the same time? Yep, they do (unless of course the pub is willing and able to open around the clock)
    From being in the UK on a weekend in areas with 24 hr licensing, I'd say the problems you seem to think this form of licensing will alleviate are most definitely still there. Not too long ago, Channel Four news did a great feature on binge drinking and the increasing strain on hospital and police services being experienced.
    Last orders (to an Irish patron) mean it's your last chance of the night to get a drink. No-one in an Irish pub/night-club leaves at one or two. There's no such thing as going home when you decide to call it a night, the only line is last orders
    If anything you've provided a basis for denying the 24 hour licence as the Irish drinker is not responsble enough to settle for enough at closing time.
    In France, night-clubs are . . .
    I'll stop you there. This is most definitely not France and nothing has ever indicated any allusion to it being similar here.
    And you can't argue on the basis of general Irish drinking habits, then rely on something specific to you to dismiss a point
    Really? Since I'm to take this seriously as its a "political forum", we are all a gestalt entity of everyone and everything we experience. This is where points of view come from and anything "specific to me" is obviously going to enter proceedings in a little chat about something.
    Do you believe that restricting the availability of alcohol to set windows of opportunity encourages a positive attitude to it?I reckon every single person in the country does without the pub at least 2 days a week (well, maybe not every single person, but most)
    Now you're assuming and basing your opinion on something "specific to you" ie. based on your experience. Not so bad, is it?

The point is, why does the church/government get to decide a specific day that I shouldn't be allowed to drink?
    They're not stopping you drinking. They're stopping people selling it to you. If you can't manage the day without, stock up the day before. Idealistically however, I wouldn't really care whether they were open or not as I'm neither Catholic nor religious.
    If a French family moved here, and in this family it was a yearly tradition that they went for a group drink on Good Friday (which they can do in France), is there any reason that they shouldn't be allowed to?
    Yes. Its against the law.
    If you think people should be forced to take two days off a year from the pub, at least let them decide when those days should be
    Don't speak for me. I never said that people should be "forced to take two days out from the pub a year". I said that people can't seem to manage without two days a year. There's a difference. Personally, I can with absolutely no problems at all. Was just an observation.
    It's way too late to change the Irish mindset so we shouldn't try? We should just live with it and try to decrease drinking by more and more restrictions on when and where we can buy it?
    I referred to my comparison of CCW laws as a gun-crime prevention method being a failure. I believe 24hour licensing would be as ineffective.

Sartre made an astute comment once about people who answer questions with questions. You should look it up.
    Question for you: do you believe we should prohibit alcohol completely? If not, why not?
    No, because people will always want a drop. The effects of prohibition in a so-called advance christian society have already been witnessed elsewhere. I think you're wrong to allude that closing time is akin to prohibition.

I'll add that its a dead cert that a significant number of people decrying the govt for issues such as this don't even bother their hynies to vote. Again in my view, they got the govt they deserved. Personally I didn't vote for them but at least I exercised my right to have a say in who runs this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

djpbarry wrote: »
    A friend of mine, who I have not seen in some time, will be in Dublin this Good Friday on a work-related trip. He gets in early on the 2nd and flies out again on the morning of the 3rd. We had arranged to meet up in a pub on the night of the 2nd, until we realised we couldn’t because it’s Good Friday. We couldn’t settle on an alternative plan for logistical reasons, so we had to postpone our meeting until the next time we happen to be in the same city.

Perhaps you would care to explain why our plans should be interfered with by a belief system that neither of us subscribe to?
    The number of people in this country who oppose the ban on the selling of alcohol on Good Friday only represent a tiny minority of the population? I doubt it.
    There are more than 3 million practicing Catholics in Ireland? Really?

Could you and your friend have booked into a hotel for the night and then you could have drank away to your hearts content as you would be residents? Maybe thats what we should all do this Good Friday book into hotels and give that industry a much needed boost :D

• Advertisement

The funny thing about this thread is that it is becoming increasingly hard to find a pub open on Christmas Eve in some parts of the country after 8.00 or 9.oo pm.

Sulmac wrote: »
    Do you honestly think a majority of people feel that the law should remain? Seriously?

Just because people aren't out protesting over it doesn't mean they support it. Acceptance of a law does not equal support for it.

It's hardly an issue that's going to cause a revolution, after all.

If you think so many people are "happy enough or not bothered about it", then explain why the day before ("Holy Thursday") is the busiest day of the year for off-licenses? Or why a good number people go up North, where the pubs and clubs can open both on Good Friday and Christmas Day?

Over the past 30 years are so, many TD's have had a side runner as a publican or came from a publican trade. how many times were they canvasing for proposals to change to the laws? how many time have you heard the vinters groups come out publicly to request for the pub to be open? if they are that bothered, wouldn't someone have spoken up by now?

Care to show where you got your figures for determining that holy thursday is the busiest day in the off licence calender? ( i would not doubt it but i would like to see were you got that info)

for the damn all it may do, i suggest putting a poll on this site, be it in ah or here to get an idea about how many are for or against the good friday proposals. if those are that bothered about it, let them canvase their tds or join the various other groups who want to end the good friday ban. better than writing and moaning here about it?

But pubs are being stopped from selling alcohol, for no legitimate reason. You don't need a reason to make something legal, you need a reason for it to be illegal.That's blatantly not true, just look back through the boards postings for weeks before every Good Friday since boards has been live. There has always been multiple topics with hundreds of posts against it. The only reason it's been thrust further into the limelight this year is because it will have a measurable impact on the livelihoods of pub, restaurant and hotel owners in Limerick

since when did boards or any other website become the main stay voice of what people think and feel in ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

Wait wait wait!
    What about those who own/work in pubs? Id like to not have to work on Christmas day! And if pubs are open you are gonna need other things open too. 2 less holiday days a year that would be!

Wait wait wait!
    What about those who own/work in pubs? Id like to not have to work on Christmas day! And if pubs are open you are gonna need other things open too. 2 less holiday days a year that would be!

I am afraid the needs of those working in the industry are not considered relevant. If my memeory serves me ,most multiple sueprmarkets now remain closed on Easter Sunday ( If not easter Sunday, then one of the other major holidays)
    It is baffling that something as irrelevant as pubs and alcohol generates so much hot air.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Guramoogah

I always have a few drinks on Good Friday. One of the best parties I was ever at was on a Good Friday. I think that the pubs should be allowed to serve alcohol on Good Friday but it should be illegal to charge for it. Magners (Bulmers Cider) is the sponsor of the rugby match in Limerick. To prove that there's no conflict of interest, Magners should subsidize the vintners.

Guramoogah wrote: »
    I always have a few drinks on Good Friday. One of the best parties I was ever at was on a Good Friday. I think that the pubs should be allowed to serve alcohol on Good Friday but it should be illegal to charge for it. Magners (Bulmers Cider) is the sponsor of the rugby match in Limerick. To prove that there's no conflict of interest, Magners should subsidize the vintners.

It is quite funny that ' Magners league ' wont move the match to thursday night to facilitate publicans ! :P:P:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Tbh, I find it embarrassing that in this day and age people still take religion seriously.

Pubs should be allowed serve alcohol 365 days a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭jennyjest

AARRRGH wrote: »
    Tbh, I find it embarrassing that in this day and age people still take religion seriously.

Pubs should be allowed serve alcohol 365 days a year.

Did you know pubs are one of the main causes of impotence in Ireland :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

jennyjest wrote: »
    Did you know pubs are one of the main causes of impotence in Ireland :D

Haha, that's probably a good thing considering Ireland's STI rate. :)

Advertisement