Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Licensing laws

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭jennyjest

It also probably explains why ' Roger the Rabbit' sells so very well in Catholic Ireland !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

jennyjest wrote: »
    It also probably explains why ' Roger the Rabbit' sells so very well in Catholic Ireland !

It's not immoral as long as you feel guilty afterwards...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭jennyjest

AARRRGH wrote: »
    It's not immoral as long as you feel guilty afterwards...
    Its only men who feel guilty after an orgasm ! :D Course men dont know what multiple orgams are and most would't be capable of giving their wife or girlfriend one !
    Sex and the City liberated the Irish woman !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

Limerick pubs to open on Good Friday
    Thursday, 25 March 2010 11:03

Limerick publicans have been granted a special exemption to open for business on Good Friday.

They had sought the exemption to accommodate over 26,000 people who will attend the Munster and Leinster rugby match at Thomond Park.

Judge Tom O'Donnell noted in his judgment today that the publicans only made the application as a last resort.

He also noted that Thomond Park had a special stadium licence and they would be allowed to serve drinks from when they open their doors until after the match.

Judge O'Donnell said it seemed absurd to him that pubs in the locality could not open for business as well.

He said he was also making the ruling for health and safety reasons when 26,000 people would be spilling out of Thomond Park immediately after the match.

He said the pubs could stay open from 6pm until 11.30pm that night.

The State had opposed the application by the publicans.

Story from RTÉ News:
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0325/limerick.html

Excellent - a victory over this stupid, outdated and sectarian law. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

A victory for Common Sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

All we have to do now is get rid of the law banning the sale of alcohol on Good Friday!

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Ritchi

Personally I think it's a disgrace that only pubs in Limerick are allowed to open. Every other pub in the country would have made a lot of money from this match too, why should they be ignored. It should be all or nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Well said Ritchi.

Shows the power the Vintners Federation have. The owner of Souths pub in Limerick was on the radio earlier, he's a big shot in the VFI too. Incidentally he couldn't stretch it to cover pubs outside of Limerick city either.:rolleyes:

What annoyed me the most was the claim by the VFI that it was worth €6,000,000 extra to the local economy of the city of Limerick. How? Going on the basis that a pint costs €4-4.50 thats 1,350,000 pints that will be drank on Friday! Usual hyperbole and nonsense that people like the VFI spout out to get their way.

Btw I'm not against opening pubs on Good Friday, but at least do it nationwide.

bijapos wrote: »
    Well said Ritchi.

Shows the power the Vintners Federation have. The owner of Souths pub in Limerick was on the radio earlier, he's a big shot in the VFI too. Incidentally he couldn't stretch it to cover pubs outside of Limerick city either.:rolleyes:

What annoyed me the most was the claim by the VFI that it was worth €6,000,000 extra to the local economy of the city of Limerick. How? Going on the basis that a pint costs €4-4.50 thats 1,350,000 pints that will be drank on Friday! Usual hyperbole and nonsense that people like the VFI spout out to get their way.

Btw I'm not against opening pubs on Good Friday, but at least do it nationwide.

Its a big step in the right direction though. Unfortunately in this world change is made in frustratingly small steps, but its a step none the less.

As for the comment that it is worth 6000000 to the local community, it is not just pints that will be sold. Families might go out for lunch on the day. The dad might have 2 pints, but they might also buy a meal for 2 adults and 2 children which the pub/restaurant would not have gotten if they weren't allowed open. In this example only 8 euros were spent on alcohol, but it generated revenue for the pub and therefore the community a meal for 4 aswell. I don't know what that would cost in a limerick pub but I would imagine you wouldn't have much change from 50 quid.

Enough people do that and you wouldnt be long getting to 6 million.

But it's the wrong step in the right direction. Why are they giving in now, just because of a rugby match? And why is it only for a select few? The change should be made, or not made, for everyone and not just because of this match. It's sending the wrong message, that rugby and alcohol should be intertwined, where as the message should be that people should have the freedom of choice. This business of publicans holding them to ransom should not be acceptable.

• Advertisement

Ritchi wrote: »
    But it's the wrong step in the right direction. Why are they giving in now, just because of a rugby match? And why is it only for a select few? The change should be made, or not made, for everyone and not just because of this match. It's sending the wrong message, that rugby and alcohol should be intertwined, where as the message should be that people should have the freedom of choice. This business of publicans holding them to ransom should not be acceptable.

So are you against the decision?

The case was put before the limerick district court, which, as far as I am aware can only make deciscion within the Jurisdiction of Limerick. For all pubs to open on Good Friday would require amending the Alcohol and Intoxicating liquer act of 1927, which can only be done by the Dail(not sure about the Senate).

The VFI have gotten this decision for the people of limerick but it sets a precedent and opens the door for next year when they could challenge the law.

I realise that with the way it was submitted that they could only make changes for Limerick. I just dont agree that they should only make the change for Limerick. It was made on the grounds that Thommond can serve alcohol, so why cant the pubs around it serve alcohol too... Where does that stop? In my opinion every publican in Ireland should now petitition to get their pub open too, and would have grounds to based on this Judges decision.

I think it was wrong of this judge to make this decision. But I am not against the idea of pubs being opened any day they choose in the future if/when the laws are changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

syklops wrote: »
    The VFI have gotten this decision for the people of limerick

The VFI has gotten this decision for the VFI

I realise that with the way it was submitted that they could only make changes for Limerick. I just dont agree that they should only make the change for Limerick. It was made on the grounds that Thommond can serve alcohol, so why cant the pubs around it serve alcohol too... Where does that stop? In my opinion every publican in Ireland should now petitition to get their pub open too, and would have grounds to based on this Judges decision.

I think it was wrong of this judge to make this decision. But I am not against the idea of pubs being opened any day they choose in the future if/when the laws are changed.

Do you not see that the judge had a decision Yes or No. If he said No, then there would be no point in every pub petitioning to have their pub open on Good Friday. The yes answer paves the way for that to happen. I have already pointed out that he did not have the power to change the law, so he did what he could do.
    The VFI has gotten this decision for the VFI
    Yes, but the VFI employ people in Limerick. They employ Barmen and waitresses, and cleaners, and lots of other people in the running of a pub. All those people who probably need that money now have an extra day to earn. Which for the bigger picture is better for Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭28064212

I realise that with the way it was submitted that they could only make changes for Limerick. I just dont agree that they should only make the change for Limerick. It was made on the grounds that Thommond can serve alcohol, so why cant the pubs around it serve alcohol too...
    No it wasn't, it was made on the grounds of a 'special event', which is legislated for in the law. It was up to the judge to decide what constituted a special event. I don't know how they decided how far the boundaries should be drawn though

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Advertisement