Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Camera Straps - Different kinds?

• 07-03-2010 2:11am

Hey all,

Was just wondering if anyone knows anything about camera straps?

I like to be able to throw my camera over my shoulder. I have two cameras, a Canon 20D I picked up second hand on adverts and an Olympus E-420 i got new in Argos.

The Canon's strap, when thrown over my shoulder, sticks to me like glue. The entire back of the strap is like a leathery kind of texture that grips my clothes.

Looks identical to this;

https://www.simplycanon.co.uk/images/STRAP%20L5.jpg

The Olympus strap has a soft backing that just continues to slide off and thus, I can't hang it over my shoulder without fear of it dropping and smashing.

Looks like this;

http://www.arphotovideo1.com/e510strap.jpg

So I'm wondering; are there different 'levels' of straps? I want to get my hands on an Olympus strap (or generic strap, I don't particularly care) that won't keep slipping; but I don't know if there's something in particular I should be looking for or not?

Or is it just hit and miss and all straps are made randomly and differently?

Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

I could buy a new lens for the price of that!

I actually just bought this;

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Camera-NECK-STRAP-for-OLYMPUS-Digital-or-35mm-SLR-NEW_W0QQitemZ120527292545QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CamerasPhoto_CameraAccessories_BagsCases_JN?hash=item1c0ffc8881

It looks the same as the Canon one, and they use the words non slip in the description, so I'll hope for the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

i use one of these
    http://www.blackrapid.com/product/camera-strap/rs-5/

it's so much easier and quicker to use than a traditional strap. It's also really comfortable to wear for hours at a time

rs5-05.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Ohh they look kinky as well !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

i considered the R Strap at one stage, but decided against it for two reasons;
    1. the fastener goes into the place where your tripod mounting plate goes - bit of a bother to detach it every time you want to mount the camera.

2. I didnt have faith that, the ring on the plate was manufactured to take the weight of say a Canon 1D MkIII, Speedlight and a 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS.

I see they have addressed that issue, the early ones used a tripod mounting plate ring, as far as i can remember.
    Now if they could solve the problem of occupying the tripod plate screw socket - i'd order a few of them :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

Fionn wrote: »
    1. the fastener goes into the place where your tripod mounting plate goes - bit of a bother to detach it every time you want to mount the camera.

for me that's the best bit, it's so easy to detach and change from being on the strap, to being on the tripod

2. I didnt have faith that, the ring on the plate was manufactured to take the weight of say a Canon 1D MkIII, Speedlight and a 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS.
    it holds my 5DII with 70-200IS without a hitch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I'm another fan of the R-Strap.. very comfy to wear for long periods, and I have no issue with it carrying a fair amount of weight.

It is a little bit of a palaver unscrewing it to tripod up, but it's rare that I do that (unless I'm out at night), so it doesn't bother me too much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭crazydaize

Op/Tech make very comfortable straps. Their dual harness is a quarter of the price of the one above. Never seen it myself though.

I've got one of their neoprene pro straps after getting it recommended on here a long time ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭Scamp-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Can anybody tell me if the Black Rapid straps are available anywhere here in Ireland?
    Tried Jessops and one or two others in The North and in London last week but no luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

I was just wondering how the Black Rapid straps (especially the double version for 2 cameras) works, if you are also carrying a backpack or shoulder pack. Can you wear them together or would this be a problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Wear the strap before putting on a backpack. It works then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

mdebets wrote: »
    I was just wondering how the Black Rapid straps (especially the double version for 2 cameras) works, if you are also carrying a backpack or shoulder pack. Can you wear them together or would this be a problem?
    swingking wrote: »
    Wear the strap before putting on a backpack. It works then

Haven't tried the double strap but, as Swingking says, there's no problem. I've tried both putting on the Bag first and putting on the strap first and it works both ways. Strap first is a little more comfortable though.

Brilliant strap BTW. I only have it a short time but I love it and can't see myself going back to a regular strap anytime soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 browners

Bought the double Black Rapid strap last week and used it twice over the weekend at matches and it worked a treat...took all the pressure of carrying two bodies on both shoulders away as I could concentrate more on the game without worrying whether on body would slip from my shoulder.

I think it's mental money to spend on a strap, to be honest. I did a little DIY and took a strap off a camera bag I had, cut it and sewed it up smaller (about 5 inches long) and the hooks on it clip onto my camera straps. It goes across the bback of my neck and I've no issue with it. So much so, that I will carry two bodies even if i don't need both of them (carrying one body leaves me uncomfortable as I've to walk lopsided to avoid it slipping off. I know some people put the strap around their should and neck, but i find it too uncomfortable).

Phone photos:

dsc00059uf.jpg

dsc00061pm.jpg

It's othing fancy, and it's about as cheap as you can get, but it's sturdy and gives me no issues whatsoever. Worked out at less than €15 I believe, and I have an extra camera bag, too. Strapless, though.

Also made a grand tripod strap(s) out of leftover camera bag straps, too, so I can wear a tripod with two straps (like a backpack). I wish I could sew myself a few new lenses and €50 notes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

I'll give a shout out to the Blackrapid, too. Amazing camera strap. Worth it, I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

Got the double version earlier this week and was using it for the first time today for around an hour and they are absolutely great. No more neck pain from a heavy camera, no worry of letting a camera slip from my shoulder and most importantly, no more messing up my hair.
    The only problem I can see is that overhead shots are not as easy anymore.
    The only question I have now is: Why are there any other straps? The Black Rapid one is the only one you need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

there is another player in the Black Rapid arena...

www.sun-sniper.com

they do a single double and a triple for press..
    http://www.sun-sniper.de/index.php?id=18&L=1

works on the same basic principle as the Black rapid..
    In addition they have steel in some of their straps, and their guarantee is if it gets cut by a knife they insure it for 500 euros...

Cant beat the Germans ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 image1960

Photocare in Lower Abbey Street have just received samples of the complete BlackRapid Strap range from the USA.
    Great straps...expensive, but a once in a lifetime purchase.
    Dollar price in the US is $60-130, so after coversion, 21% VAT, Duty and Shipping, prices will be approx €70-140.
    Call in with your camera, and ask for Francis for a demo.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

image1960 wrote: »
    Photocare in Lower Abbey Street have just received samples of the complete BlackRapid Strap range from the USA.
    Great straps...expensive, but a once in a lifetime purchase.
    Dollar price in the US is $60-130, so after coversion, 21% VAT, Duty and Shipping, prices will be approx €70-140.
    Call in with your camera, and ask for Francis for a demo.

Have to say since I got my BlackRapid, I wouldn't dream of using anything else. It's feckin brilliant and highly recommended. Not cheap by any means, but when you're potentially dangling a few grands worth of kit from your neck.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Moman

Also recommend the backrapid
    I Leave the tripod plate (manfrotto) on the camera and attach the fastener to the plate ring and have had no problems, easy then to remove the strap and place on tripod quickly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 laraelobdell

The new woman's design, along with all other models designed by BlackRapid, is amazing. I have been using R-Straps since they first came out. The R-Straps by BlackRapid completely free up your hands and there is no back or neck ache at the end of the day. The RS DR-1 is really comfortable and you can take it apart and use the right side (with the R") as a single camera sling. Pretty cool. Also, the materials they used on the R-Strap designs are of the highest quality are all tested thoroughly before going to production. I'd be careful with camera straps that have steel in them; I've spoke with a man at WPPI who's wife was wearing one and the steel worked through and tore up her shoulder. Ouch. They might come with camera coverage, but do they come with medical coverage too? Just something to be aware of.

I have been using and showing the BlackRapid range for the past week and am really impressed with the comfort and convenience they offer. I have orders from women with compact cameras based on the hands free feature and the womens strap at €69 can cost half the price of their camera but they love the value it is to them.
    These straps are not for the DIY guys who want to make stuff out of scraps and save a few bob. These are for people who want the best and are prepared to pay for it to treat themselves to some comfort for a once in a lifetime purchase. So as the Merc S Class of camera straps they will have their fans.
    We are putting in our order next week so if you want to try the range and put yourself down for the first delivery, call in to me.
    Francis
    PHOTOCARE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 laraelobdell

Agree with everything you said, Francis. I think it is a wise investment to have a tested and true camera strap that will take care of your camera comfortably and fashionably. I have the first prototype of the RS-W1 and another one from BlackRapid's first shipment that I'm offering on my blog www.photosister.com. I will let my readers know that you are also carrying the women's camera R-Strap, thank you!

Photocare just received delivery of the full range. Thanks to all who dropped in for a demo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

check out couch straps from the states,recycled from old seat belts & vinyl

http://www.couchguitarstraps.com/camera-straps-and-wallets-c-5.html?zenid=tnds90v837a1a292f6pmlnf685

cameraluggage_LRG.jpg

my flatmate has one of their guitar straps and it's excellent
    I want one! :)

Advertisement