Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Consumer Query

Options
  • 07-03-2010 3:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a good value, good performance hard drive. Currently have the 750GB Spinpoint F1 - which I should probably format at this stage. Is there any reason not to go with the 1TB Spinpoint F3 - beyond the minimal capacity upgrade?

I was considering the 2TB Hitachi Deskstar 7K2000 but one too many people mentioned noise concerns. Shame Samsung don't have larger, high-performance, versions of the F3 - just, what basically amounts to, a mislabelled F2.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

The 2TB F3's are quicker than the comparable F2 drive.

F2 1.5 TB :

hdtunebenchmarksamsunghc.png

F3 2TB :

b7x47a.jpg

Not that noticable in terms in I/OP but look at the access time difference,this access time is what makes a drive ''feel'' quick.

Deans top tip for the day (:p),get 2x1TB's and put them in RAID0,you could have these sort of speeds :

F3_Raid0.PNG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I'd stick with Samsung, I've 4x f1's and swear by them. The 1TB f3's can be got for great prices
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=28152&agid=689

BTW, that 2TB is only 5400rpm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Wah, my throw-away comment got way too much attention... feckin' graphs n' stuff! :D

Thought it weird that Samsung decided to label the 2TB drive with the F3 brand when the F2 seems a more natural fit. Not that I'm ever surprised by stupid naming decisions in the tech world.

Where did you get those graphs - is RAID0 much faster than a single F3?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Fnz wrote: »
    Wah, my throw-away comment got way too much attention... feckin' graphs n' stuff! :D

Thought it weird that Samsung decided to label the 2TB drive with the F3 brand when the F2 seems a more natural fit. Not that I'm ever surprised by stupid naming decisions in the tech world.

Where did you get those graphs - is RAID0 much faster than a single F3?

Google image search.

Yes,2 F3's in Raid are much quicker,about 200mb read/write.And if you short stroke them,very quick in real world apps

• Registered Users Posts: 7,153 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I remember someone saying here a while back about raid 0

"its called raid 0 because that's exactly how much data you can recover if one of them fails"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I have 2 of the 2TB Samsung F3(HD203WI) running in RAID 1 and if they havent been accesed in a while then the spin up time is painfully slow (> 5 secs), besides that they have been fine so far and are surprisingly quiet.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

I've never seen a 2TB F3 anywhere... Samsung and most e-tailers with a brain-cell call them Samsung HD203WI, which are considered a SoHo/light-enterprise revision of the 2TB F2 (EcoGreen). Real F3s are characterized by a 7200RPM spin, relatively low power usage and fast seek times and sustained/burst read/write speeds (sustained read can approach a Velociraptor!) at the cost of terrible I/O ops (definitely not a business-oriented drive then!). Toms was moaning because there was still no sign of a real honest-to-God 2TB F3 anywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Solitaire wrote: »
    Toms was moaning because there was still no sign of a real honest-to-God 2TB F3 anywhere!

Yeah, I'm getting fed up, waiting for larger capacity (7200rpm) F3 drives.

Advertisement