Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need help in updating

• 07-03-2010 4:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi
    Hope some of you can help me.

I am 50 , 5 ft 1 sixe 8 to 10 , blonde hair.

I have taken a look at my wardrobe and it is dated no doubt about it.

I have lots of black trousers for work which i wear with a t shirt and cardigan or jacket.

Thus my wardrobe is full of cardigans, plain top , jeans etc
    However they are dated.

I need to start again , I would like to look fashionable and wear the right things for my age but dont know where to start.

Have not got a great budget but can spend a few euros .

Where do I start ?? Help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 MichMich

I am a bit younger than you, I must admit, however, after reading a lot of lists of other people's wardrobe essentials/musthaves/basics, I compiled my own list...here is a condensed version, as some pieces are very personal to me.

Start with some classic pieces...

A well fitting suit, with both pieces wearable as seperates (The pants with a nice top for going out or the jacket with jeans for a neat casual look)
    A well fitting white shirt
    Dark wash jeans in a fit you love - try bootcut
    A Little Black Dress - A fit and shape you feel really comfortable in
    A Pencil skirt
    A Trench Coat
    A Dressy Coat - in a neutral colour
    A Casual Coat/Jacket - something for every day
    A Neutral Poloneck/Cashmere cardi or both

In terms of accessories
    Leather boots - Black/Brown, Flat/Heeled whatever fit in your wardrobe
    Ballet Pumps/Loafers
    Heels - basic black pump or a sandal, its up to you
    Selection of scarves - heavy/light etc
    A good every day handbag
    An evening bag - such as a clutch

In addition to these basics you can supplement you wardrobe with:
    A selection of plain and striped tanks/tees/longsleeve tees etc
    Some cardi's in neutral or other colours
    Some dressy tops - try something satin
    A day dress - try a shirt dress
    A nice thick knit cardi - try something belted

You will of course need plenty of well fitting bras and underwear, and some comfy lounge-wear for around the house.

To be fair, you probably have alot of this stuff already. Try to work out what colours suit you and shop accordingly, and don't be afraid to try something different on, you never know how great it could look. try watching some programs like what not to wear for tips on how to dress you age and put outfits together.

Hope this helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

I've noticed one thing is always said in the makeover/fashion shows on tv, and thats to wear colour.

Especially near your face, as black drains you a bit.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 MichMich

That is why scarves are great...buy a few different colours to brighten up your neutrals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

M&S do some really nice clothes which will suit your age but not be frumpy. I'm always picking up nice things for my Mam in there - maybe it would be a good place to start?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭tuom

Hi guys

Thank you that is great, true I do have a lot of this stuff and will do a job on trying to piece them together, colour yes I am missing that and the scarves too.

Will take all comments on board and plan to do just a little :rolleyes: shopping, I will let you know how I get on Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

As you get older I feel the most important things are to dress for your shape, find your own style and invest in good cut and fabric and don't try too hard (i.e. borrow from fashion, don't follow it)!

I buy basics from m&s, boden and local boutiques. I find dresses work better than separates, because you just add a few colourful accessories and you are ready to go.

Oh and good expensive underwear!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

I'm 35 and I feel I'm in a bit of a style quandary too. Wasn't ever into high fashion and find shopping exhausting. As a result, I go on a splurge every six months, buying loadsa clothes that either don't suit me or are too young for me and end up resorting to the old reliables when common sense dawns (for instance, I almost shelled out on a pair of high-waisted, thigh-skimming city shorts last week... scary).

I'm liking what Claudia Schiffer is wearing here http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1256669/Claudia-Schiffer-resorts-accentuating-growing-belly.html (yes, I know she's preggers but she just looks very smart and stylish) but where do people buy clothes that say, 'I'm grown-up, but not a granny... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭tuom

I'm 35 and I feel I'm in a bit of a style quandary too. Wasn't ever into high fashion and find shopping exhausting. As a result, I go on a splurge every six months, buying loadsa clothes that either don't suit me or are too young for me and end up resorting to the old reliables when common sense dawns (for instance, I almost shelled out on a pair of high-waisted, thigh-skimming city shorts last week... scary).

I'm liking what Claudia Schiffer is wearing here http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1256669/Claudia-Schiffer-resorts-accentuating-growing-belly.html (yes, I know she's preggers but she just looks very smart and stylish) but where do people buy clothes that say, 'I'm grown-up, but not a granny... :confused:

Thanks for the reply and glad to know there are more out there like me, but you are much younger :o, my main problem is my size, being small and skinny and 50 presents its problems !!, I have always invested in good underwear but when it comes to putting outfits together I seem to some a cropper.
    I have a LOT of clothes and from the other replies I have got I am going to physically take everthing out of the wardrobes and drawers and try to make sense of it all.
    Was also thinking that the time of the year now also is a good time to do this with the weather getting fine and all, I would be interested in how you get on if you change styles and I will let you know after my weekend clearout session :eek:

Advertisement