Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is nice for a walk near Limerick City?

Options
  • 07-03-2010 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭

Hi. My mate and I are going to meet in Limerick today. I'm coming down from Galway, she's coming up from Cork. We're thinking of going for a walk in the countryside somewhere and then eat in the city.
    Where is a nice place for a walk outside the city? Lets say up to a 20 mile radius.
    Also, any recommendations for a place to eat?
    Thanks in advance, folks. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

You could head out to Killaloe have a nice walk along the bank of Lough Derg and good solid lunch in Goosers pub in Ballina lovely way to spend a Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Would second the Killaloe/Ballina suggestion. Some lovely spots there for walking on both the Clare and Tipperary sides of the lake.

Best side for eating, imho, is the Tipperary side (Ballina) with the aforementioned Goosers a nice spot to eat and chill. It may be busy today though as it is a very popular spot.

In Limerick you could go to Currachase, which is on the N69 on the way to Foynes. It is about 15 miles outside of town. But You would have to travel a bit again for a nice meal although there are a few pubs and the like within a few miles.

Sioda's suggestion is the better one though, with everything in one spot, you could also go out on the lake in Killaloe. There are tour boats and hire boats there. The booth for the hire boats is at the Killaloe end of the bridge, and Whelan is the mname on the booth if memory serves me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 honda50man

Hi Galway Girl nice place to go for a walk Currachase Co Limerick http://www.coillteoutdoors.ie/?id=53&rec_site=109

For food I would recommend La Piccola Italian Resturant on O'Connell Street http://www.limericktourist.com/details/la_piccola.shtml

Enjoy your time in our wonderfull City. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

cratloe woods is also very nice for dedicated trails through the forest with fantastic views, picnic areas and lakes, deffinately worth a walk up there, only a few miles outside the city too

http://www.flickr.com/photos/grogg/402068294/

also dunas in castleconnell is a lovely spot, similer to cratloe except theres a nice river and bridge
    enjoy Limerick op!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Unfortunately a little neglected nowadays, and therefore not everyone's idea of a leisurely "walk", the Clare Glens is a beautiful spot a few miles past Newport off the Dublin Road.

If you do consider it, be prepared for some stepping over fallen trees and some uneven ground, but it's well work a visit for the waterfalls and peaceful woodland.

But be warned that the trails are overgrown in parts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Around Plassey is lovely. Down by the river particularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

Thanks for all the replies folks. My friend has just cancelled. Boo. Not to worry, great to have all the info about the area anyway. Will defo check some of those places out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭cullen5998

Any road out of Limerick is generally the best way to be heading:)

Go out to Bunratty and have a nice walk around the park there. Its not free but nice place to go and interesting. Nice pub/restaurant beside it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Unfortunately a little neglected nowadays, and therefore not everyone's idea of a leisurely "walk", the Clare Glens is a beautiful spot a few miles past Newport off the Dublin Road.

If you do consider it, be prepared for some stepping over fallen trees and some uneven ground, but it's well work a visit for the waterfalls and peaceful woodland.

+1 great spot for a nice walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭RINO87

definatley recommend clare glenns aswell!! Class spot!! Theres a few nice places just to sit down and chill out, maybe even have a tin or two, just make sure to bring em home with you!

I think the area around Ballyhoura is class aswell. Some handy enough loops to go walking but watch out for the bikes!! Although given the choice, and if i didn't have to sell my bike to pay for college I would really reccomend the mountainbiking, even for beginners! Some laugh!!!

http://www.ballyhouracountry.com/
    http://www.ballyhouramtb.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭bazza1

South hill.... but walk very fast

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

Park up in Watch House cross, set off on the uphill bend on a paved trail up through the middle of Moyross, when between Cliona and College parks go on the uphill cross country path and when on top of the hill turn around for a stunning view of the Clare hills.

Your only problem now is your number of choices, carry on up to the top of Moyross and meet and greet the friendly Monks, go for a kickabout in the all weather pitch, have a rest and a prayer in the church and have a chat outside with a friendly local while admiring the lovely school gardens or just head back to the car where you can avail for a free cup of tea in the local turf accountants.

If feeling a bit peckish after your ramble then fear not. Instead of driving for miles and paying a small fortune for a bit over reheated mash and foreign meat in an overcrowded pub/resteraunt you can avail of one of the many choices on offer.
    Traditional fish, burger, chips and pies will keep the hunger at bay in the Snack Shack. If feeling adventurous the local chinese can cater for you, and of course healthy and fresh options are to be found in the deli counter in the supermarket.

Why would you go anywhere else? :)

http://www.limerickregeneration.ie/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/moyross.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Woody101

Not been there in years, I know how to get to Newport but where do I go from there to get to the Clare Glens?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Woody101 wrote: »
    Not been there in years, I know how to get to Newport but where do I go from there to get to the Clare Glens?

If you're coming from the Rich Hill road (straight from Finnegan's Roundabout) then go straight through the crossroads in Newport and take the right turn at the next four-road junction.

http://www.irishwhitewater.com/river_guide/map/index.php?id=236

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Woody101

If you're coming from the Rich Hill road (straight from Finnegan's Roundabout) then go straight through the crossroads in Newport and take the right turn at the next four-road junction.

http://www.irishwhitewater.com/river_guide/map/index.php?id=236

Thank you Sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Soulcrew09 wrote: »
    Park up in Watch House cross, set off on the uphill bend on a paved trail up through the middle of Moyross, when between Cliona and College parks go on the uphill cross country path and when on top of the hill turn around for a stunning view of the Clare hills.

Your only problem now is your number of choices, carry on up to the top of Moyross and meet and greet the friendly Monks, go for a kickabout in the all weather pitch, have a rest and a prayer in the church and have a chat outside with a friendly local while admiring the lovely school gardens or just head back to the car where you can avail for a free cup of tea in the local turf accountants.

If feeling a bit peckish after your ramble then fear not. Instead of driving for miles and paying a small fortune for a bit over reheated mash and foreign meat in an overcrowded pub/resteraunt you can avail of one of the many choices on offer.
    Traditional fish, burger, chips and pies will keep the hunger at bay in the Snack Shack. If feeling adventurous the local chinese can cater for you, and of course healthy and fresh options are to be found in the deli counter in the supermarket.

Why would you go anywhere else? :)

http://www.limerickregeneration.ie/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/moyross.jpg

I assume from your tone that you are actually serious and I'm surprised noone has commented yet.

How is the regeneration going? Is it any safer in Moyross now compared to what it used to be? I always got very paranoid walking there especially when you get down to the end of the main road in the estate and you walk past all the burnt out and destroyed houses. Glenna is think it's called?

Anyways, actually considering taking a stroll there tomorrow and see how it goes. Last time I was there someone stole the shoes off my friends feet. Not kidding :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Actually,are there any good biking trails near the city?Picking up a new bike thanks to the biketowork scheme

Im guessing Cratloe would be the closest

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

How about plassey? You can cycle through the gate just before Emo on the Dublin Road and follow it along the canal and river until you get to UL.

Never heard about this biketowork scheme. Looking it up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

How about plassey? You can cycle through the gate just before Emo on the Dublin Road and follow it along the canal and river until you get to UL.

Never heard about this biketowork scheme. Looking it up now.

I think he means more, singletrack/cross country stuff, yeah cratloe would be the closest, the place is littered with trails up there (not sign posted). Also Ballyhoura which would be further out but has some very good signposted trails.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

foinse wrote: »
    I think he means more, singletrack/cross country stuff, yeah cratloe would be the closest, the place is littered with trails up there (not sign posted). Also Ballyhoura which would be further out but has some very good signposted trails.

Yeah,I do.Ballyhoura is a good bit away to be doing every week.

• Advertisement
Advertisement