Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tropical aquarium: Catfish

Options
  • 07-03-2010 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I have a catfish that keeps on growing, he's getting way too big for my aquarium. Does anyone know if you can release a catfish in the wild?

It breaks my heart to see him growing with no place to go.:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

no you cant release it...even if it was a coldwater species. it would eat everything,destroying the natural ecology of the river/lake. I suggest you make a post here www.irishfishkeepers.com there's always someone who will take it off your hands free of charge. Or you could phone Aquatic Village in Blessington..they might take it. But whatever you do ..dot release it into the wild.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Declan O wrote: »
    I have a catfish that keeps on growing, he's getting way too big for my aquarium. Does anyone know if you can release a catfish in the wild?

No, you cannot release him into the wild. That would be cruel and is an easy way out for you. He is your responsibility.
    Next time check how big a fish will grow before you buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Your local aquarium shop will gladly take it off your hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Declan O

Thanks for all replies.
    I did ask how big this catfish would be, the shopkeeper told me not more than 15cm.

Well, mine still growing, he's about 25cm now.....

I will not release my catfish, but will indeed ask around or bring him back to the petshop.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I was told my catfish would grow to 12-15cm- by the time he was over 2 foot long, and with a mad sail of a dorsal fin- it was time for him to go. Also- whoever thinks they're herbivores, is very very wrong...... Mine loved to chase and eat lumps out of his tank mates.......

One of the guys in the Boardwalk Petshop who has a 2000ltr tank down at Ringsend took our fish from us- it was lovely that he got such a big home- and similarly sized other catfish as companions.......

Shane

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Thanks for all replies.
    I did ask how big this catfish would be, the shopkeeper told me not more than 15cm.

Well, mine still growing, he's about 25cm now.....

I will not release my catfish, but will indeed ask around or bring him back to the petshop.

:):):)

Dumb petshop staff! :mad:

Advertisement