Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sociology and social policy & social work masters

Options
  • 07-03-2010 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

hey :)..i'm in sixth year hoping to become a social worker..
    i know of the social studies course in tcd, which leads to immediate qualification as a social worker..but incase i don't get the points for social studies i would hope to do sociology and social policy degree in tcd..

i have a question though, if i wanted to go on and do a masters in social work, to become a social worker, would a degree in Sociology and social policy be sufficent for entry?

i know they ask for a degree in "social science" along with work experience, but i am unsure whether Sociology and social policy is considered an equivilant to a social science degree in lets say ucd, ucc or nui maynooth..

anybody able to enlighten me?
    sound :):)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Hey Mark, doing the Masters in Galway so will PM you later with info.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Yes, for the main practice degrees in Ireland (MSW, BSocSc). If you only have a degree in sociology, then generally you will have to complete a HDip in social policy, but this is only for students coming from joint/single hons arts degrees whom have not taken social policy.

You should be fine, but email the department to confirm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Instead of stating a new thread I though I would just add to this one. I also hope to do a masters in social work and would appreciate any advice or help from those currently in the field.

I've applied to do the H.dip in Social policy this year,and am doing it for the sole aim of aplying for the Social work masters next year.

I am a bit worried about the work experience aspect as I've heared that It's very difficult to get on the course. Two people I know who have succesfully applied to social work masters were both full time youth workers.

I'm not sure what constitutes volunteer work and what doesnt? Im currently working as a senior care assistant in a rehabilitation unit, a job which is very busy and doesnt give me much free time. I volunteer when I can with my local youth club and am taking sign language classes,which doesnt give me any extra time to commit to doing any volunteer work. I have a lot of experience with working with people with disabilities and thats about it.

Is it very important to have done volunteer work with a broad spectrum of people such as drug users or womens groups? I've never actually been in contact with social workers and would like to know If some observational work experience is possible? I rang up Social work departments in a few hospitals who all said because of the nature of the work they are not allowed to have any one in on work experience.

panda100 wrote: »
    Instead of stating a new thread I though I would just add to this one. I also hope to do a masters in social work and would appreciate any advice or help from those currently in the field.

I've applied to do the H.dip in Social policy this year,and am doing it for the sole aim of aplying for the Social work masters next year.

I am a bit worried about the work experience aspect as I've heared that It's very difficult to get on the course. Two people I know who have succesfully applied to social work masters were both full time youth workers.

I'm not sure what constitutes volunteer work and what doesnt? Im currently working as a senior care assistant in a rehabilitation unit, a job which is very busy and doesnt give me much free time. I volunteer when I can with my local youth club and am taking sign language classes,which doesnt give me any extra time to commit to doing any volunteer work. I have a lot of experience with working with people with disabilities and thats about it.

Is it very important to have done volunteer work with a broad spectrum of people such as drug users or womens groups? I've never actually been in contact with social workers and would like to know If some observational work experience is possible? I rang up Social work departments in a few hospitals who all said because of the nature of the work they are not allowed to have any one in on work experience.

What was your undergrad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

efla wrote: »
    What was your undergrad?
    Medicine, I didnt do my intern year as when I finished I knew med wasn't for me and have been doing social care type work ever since.

• Advertisement

panda100 wrote: »
    Medicine, I didnt do my intern year as when I finished I knew med wasn't for me and have been doing social care type work ever since.

Did you ask the departments you applied to about exemptions or transferable experience?

Advertisement