Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Curry Powder?

Options
  • 07-03-2010 12:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hi everyone i am trying to lose weight so i am going to make my own currys instead of take aways haha!!
    So anyways my question is when recipes say to use curry powder what ones do you use???
    Can anyone tell me what exactly im looking to buy in the shops??? A certain make or brand???
    Want to make sure i am getting what im ment to use haha!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Melia

I like this one:

sharwoodshotcurrypowder.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I use Sharwoods too, but the medium one (purple label).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Shinners13

thanks very much guys!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

If it's curry sauce like that from a chinese takeaway, I'd recommend Bensons (it's in a tub, I get it in Supervalu). It's the nearest I can find to chinese curry sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

i don't use curry powder, i use patak's balti paste.
    it is off the hook and i too am trying to lose/am losing weight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I use schwartz hot curry powder (its in tesco). Then add in garam masala and cardomon pods for the taste.

I find that they are all pretty much the same. I have tried the curry pastes (Pataks) and don't like them however - but thats a personal thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Pot Noodle =

Just remember to put the toilet roll in the fridge

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

Then you would have cold toilet paper.
    is it more soothing on your ass when it is cold?

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Pot Noodle =

yup

• Registered Users Posts: 39,426 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

hyperbaby wrote: »
    i don't use curry powder, i use patak's balti paste.
    it is off the hook and i too am trying to lose/am losing weight.
    The powder is a lot better than the paste, the paste has a very high oil content

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Dunne.Drift

McDonalds is what we use & is the favourite by are customers..

ignore instructions on packet / tin. make it to the right tickness that your desire & flavour, then enjoy!

little tip: If you want, when your making it up to get a bit more out of your curry sauce & flavour, add a little oxtale soup ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Stop eating currys and sauce heavy food if you want to loose weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Melia

CodeMonkey wrote: »
    Stop eating currys and sauce heavy food if you want to loose weight.

Why? They're tasty and can be very healthy if you make them yourself.

My curries are made with tinned tomatoes, curry powder, spices and a bucketload of vegetables in the sauce. Loads of chickpeas and beans and/or a small amount of rice. What's unhealthy about that?

See below for what I've lost while eating plenty of home-made curries and sauce-heavy foods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 jimmytwomey

Much more flavour in paste than powder. Use paste with 1 tin of Coconut Milk and dessert spoon of curry paste.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭dubh101

:DI go to asian food stores for mine.Try East End,madras curry powder(hot).And as for paste too make a good chinese curry,you got too try this stuff.GOLD FISH BRAND Chinese curry sauce concentrate,comes in hot and mild,they also do a madras version that I have not tried yet,but will as I have a tub here.Cannot recomend this stuff highly enough,real genuine reastaurant quality flavour,I tend too add garlic and ginger and a spoon off tom yum paste too further inhanse the flavour,but for a good sauce quickly just add water.Available in most good asian shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Yes, east end is in many asian shops, and very good value. In the window of bombay pantry in glenegeary they have loads of east end branded stuff on display and many people rate bombay pantry very highly.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

East End is a brand that will make your curries taste more like restaurant ones. On the other hand you could make your own blend using turmeric, coriander, cumin, garlic powder etc. Patak's pastes are a reasonable substitute.

If you do a google on indian-recipe.org you'll find a site with a large free section that gives tremendous Indian curry recipes. At first glance they look complicated, but you can make the base gravy in bulk, and then freeze it in portion sizes for later use. Just reduce the amount of oil/ghee suggested if you're eating low fat.

If you go the usual powder or paste route, try to get hold of some dried fenugreek leaves (may be labelled as 'methi'). They add a bit of authentic flavour to a curry, as does fresh coriander chopped and added near the end of cooking time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

I use the East End curry powder and add some more turmeric and some fenugrek seeds. To make it into curry paste just fry the seeds in a tiny bit of oil, mix the curry powder and any other spices you want with some water and throw it in on top of the seeds, stirring constantly until the spices cook and it thickens. You wont need to use anymore oil, just throw in whatever meat, veg and pulses you want and add water if it's drying out. Chicken legs, veg and chickpeas is yummy.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Indian curry, Thai curry, Malaysian curry.. the ingredients will all vary wildly.

Advertisement