Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

foxing rifle

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭roosman

how about a savage in 223, the light varmint models are supposed to be the dogs...if you can find one ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

ejg wrote: »
    Only my opinion,
    I would prefer a 223, just because the selection of ammo is greater. For example the sako 55gr gamehead will normally go through a fox lengthways. Meaning an awkward running away fox can be taken.
    223 is regarded as a roe caliber, 204 not.
    One can use the cheap american eagle ammo for practice/fox or rabbit.
    204 might shoot a bit flatter and can make sense if one has either enough money for the expensive ammo or one doesn't shoot that much.

I might get a tikka myself soon, but would not trust the plastic stock. Maybe with a bit of freeing out of the barrel channel it will do.

The T3 has a tight twist 223, meaning one use a larger selection of bullets than with some other 223's.
    New aftermarket bits are going to be seen soon for the t3's.

edi
    32gr,39gr,40gr and 45 gr are available off the shelf in my dealers shop .The 45gr sp hornady will go stright through 10mm plate at 100 yards so mr fox gets a fair slap ,too.The .204 is not just a flatter varmint round.........to the .223 .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Tikka are excellent rifles and 204 is an excellent calibre

Dealer will ALWAYS try and sell you what he has not what you want ;)

I presume he didn't have a Tikka in stock as if he did he'd have shown you one :P

Tomcat where you getting 45gr SP my brother is interested ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

John Lambert ,Camolin (0862616907) 25 euro ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Feidhlim Dignan

tomcat220t wrote: »
    How do you think the .204 is a hot round ?:confused:It has very close barrel life to the .223 .

just got that impression, what fps would it run at. i also thought the barrel life would be much lower

It runs at 3,700 + depending on ammo but barrel life is same as 223 :eek:

Remember Vmax bullets work on the "velocity induced frangability" theory, namely the faster the bullet is going the better it's expansion :)

how is that the .223 is around 2600 is it not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

the .223 rounds i use run from 2780 fps for the 75 gr hornady BTHP. and 3240 fps for the 55 gr v-max hornady, and i think the 40 gr run at 3900 fps.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

223 V-Shok ammo

49gr V-Shok = 3700FPS
    55gr V-Shok = 3240 FPS

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/rifle.aspx?id=209

• Advertisement

new this centerfire thing :D . now its just the cheaper and more widely available ammo in favour of the .223, still think ill go with it.

im looking for a sps varmint secondhand at the moment, what do you guys think of that

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭yog1

right, i was out tonight looking at more gun's, think i've made up my mind (at last), due to the 6 months (minimum) waiting list on the tika t3 light in .204, i think i'm going to get a 22-250 t3 light in stainless, what do you all think, it was a tight call between it and the cz 550 american

Nice choice however your Super MAY want deer shooting permission/target club membership for that calibre :o

Nice choice however your Super MAY want deer shooting permission/target club membership for that calibre :o
    sady i'm in the north,, it's not big enough for deers up here (i think), club membership is a bit pricy as well but needs must, i was already pre aproved for the .204 so i'm hoping i'll get the 22-250, for vermon control, dam waiting lists

Didn't realise you were outside our f**ked up juristication :)

Some lad said here or on another forum reckons that max for fox in North is 223

Some lad said here or on another forum reckons that max for fox in North is 223
    thats intresting,, if your not ment to shot bambi with anthing less than a 243(as far as i know), and your only aloud up to a 223 for foxs, where does the 22-250 fit in,,
    now, i'm new to the whole shooting thing and its v possible that my knowledge is wrong, (or more like lack of knowledge), but isnt the 22-250 higher up the packing order than the 223 and smaller than the 243:confused:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64711302&postcount=20

This is the post

As your in NI I am not familar with legislation there
    yog1 wrote: »
    ...........but isnt the 22-250 higher up the packing order than the 223 and smaller than the 243:confused:

That's what I think also BUT then I don't issue your licence ;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64711302&postcount=20

This is the post

As your in NI I am not familar with legislation there

That's what I think also BUT then I don't issue your licence ;)

all i can do is wait in hope,, lots and lots of hope as i've just put the deposit down on it:eek:

all i can do is wait in hope,, lots and lots of hope as i've just put the deposit down on it:eek:

Hope it goes well for you that would be a sweet rfle in a sweet calibre ;)

was offered a 2nd hand 3x9x50 leupold scope for it, or a new bushnell, 3x9x50, do you think these would be good enough,, i'd like somthing like a 6x18 but the scope he showed me had too much adjustment in it for foxs (you have to set the range on the big lense then focus it with the small lense for eithe far away work or real close up work), he said i'd need a "duel adjustment scope" for what i wanted, and it would be out of my price range,

was then thinking of buying the leupold, using it for a while then moving it to the .22 when i can afford a better scope, but then i started to think on the rings, it's a 1" tube on eithe the leupold or the bushnell,
    when i go to change to a better scope will the same rings fit, will i be limiting my choice to much by buying 1" rings
    what would your advice be:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

was offered a 2nd hand 3x9x50 leupold scope for it, or a new bushnell, 3x9x50, do you think these would be good enough,, i'd like somthing like a 6x18 but the scope he showed me had too much adjustment in it for foxs (you have to set the range on the big lense then focus it with the small lense for eithe far away work or real close up work), he said i'd need a "duel adjustment scope" for what i wanted, and it would be out of my price range,

was then thinking of buying the leupold, using it for a while then moving it to the .22 when i can afford a better scope, but then i started to think on the rings, it's a 1" tube on eithe the leupold or the bushnell,
    when i go to change to a better scope will the same rings fit, will i be limiting my choice to much by buying 1" rings
    what would your advice be:confused:

A 3-9x50 on a 22-250 seems like not enough of magnification. The Bushnell elite range do a lovely 3.5-16x50 or something like that. Brother has one on a .223 and its a really good quality and no settin the big lense first;)

sounds like my kind of thing, what price range is that in,, i looked at the 6x18 and i saw no real difference, but then i was only sighting it in about 150yrds away, probable have to sight it into 300+ to see the real benefit

sounds like my kind of thing, what price range is that in,, i looked at the 6x18 and i saw no real difference, but then i was only sighting it in about 150yrds away, probable have to sight it into 300+ to see the real benefit
    I seen them on ebay.co.uk at times, lookin for one myself at the moment no more than yersel but want to try get it for better money than the hasty bro paid;) Clive has 4 or 5 them i think on Boards here. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?LH_AvailTo=3&_nkw=Bushnell+elite+4200&_arm=1&_armm=63&_ruu=http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html%3F_nkw%3DBushnell%2Belite%2B4200%26_arr%3D1&_rdc=1

I know they are all in US but better money than you will pay here. If you're patient you'll get one no probs closer to home :)

Brother actually has the 6500 version, I forgot to mention that. But I think I actually prefer the 4200. Tidy lookin.

i have done a bit of looking around a ive noticed that the .220 swifts are much cheaper secondhand, any no why this is? the hornets are also quite cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭CZ.

hornet is a great little gun out to 200 yards ammo is expensive do.i have a ruger 220 great gun will cut a fox in half:D ammo is realy expensive am paying 44 euro for 20 hornady 55grain this is all my dealer stocks also if your buying second hand check for barrel wear or bring some 1 that knows a bit about rifles if i were you i would buy a 223 good power and good selection of ammo and you will save in the long run;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

right, i was out tonight looking at more gun's, think i've made up my mind (at last), due to the 6 months (minimum) waiting list on the tika t3 light in .204, i think i'm going to get a 22-250 t3 light in stainless, what do you all think, it was a tight call between it and the cz 550 american

Have you tried Mervyn Young in Castledawson?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Just to add to this thread.

With my CZ .223 if I zero 1" high @100m then I will be in the aim kill zone on a fox from 30m right out to 225m. It's a real point and shoot.

CZ. wrote: »
    hornet is a great little gun out to 200 yards ammo is expensive do.i have a ruger 220 great gun will cut a fox in half:D ammo is realy expensive am paying 44 euro for 20 hornady 55grain this is all my dealer stocks also if your buying second hand check for barrel wear or bring some 1 that knows a bit about rifles if i were you i would buy a 223 good power and good selection of ammo and you will save in the long run;)

how would a novice know barrel wear,, whats the tell tail signs of a barrel thats shot out,

• Advertisement

murph226 wrote: »
    Have you tried Mervyn Young in Castledawson?

yeah was up with him, thats where i saw the howa package, great guy really seems to know his stuff (but then it wouldnt be hard to know more than me:o) and very helpful

Advertisement