Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How I found God and peace with my atheist brother: PETER HITCHENS traces his journey

• 07-03-2010 12:58pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Christopher Hitchens' brother on why he's religious...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1255983/How-I-God-peace-atheist-brother-PETER-HITCHENS-traces-journey-Christianity.html

A bit of an 'shout at the screen' read, tbh. Claims on one hand atheism is tarnished by Stalin's Russia - but that religion isn't be blamed for conflicts fought in the name of religion?

Speaking of his brother:
    I am not hoping for a late conversion because he has won the battle against cigarettes. He has bricked himself up high in his atheist tower, with slits instead of windows from which to shoot arrows at the faithful, and would find it rather hard to climb down out of it
    LOL - atheists in towers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Dades wrote: »

LOL - atheists in towers.

But not just any towers Dades...

ivory.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

If there is no God then your moral qualms might just as easily be the result of indigestion.
    <shakes head>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

He doesn't half look like his brother, though.

What do ye think - fake beard and schizophrenia?

article-1255983-00C46162000004B0-88_468x286.jpg
    (That's Peter on the left - don't know who the guy on the right is.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Dades wrote: »
    ... that religion isn't be blamed for conflicts fought in the name of religion?

As far as I can see, he didn't actually make such a claim. What he said was:
    Another favourite argument of the irreligious is that conflicts fought in the name of religion are necessarily conflicts about religion. By saying this they hope to establish that religion is of itself a cause of conflict.

Undeniably religion is often a component of the stuff that goes into fuelling war. (PH doesn't seem to be denying this.) Yet it has been argued that religion is not always the primary cause of conflicts that people often assume it is. More on this hypothesis here (full "War Audit" PDF here).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Vomit

He doesn't half look like his brother, though.

What do ye think - fake beard and schizophrenia?

Bearded, disheveled, bloodshot eyes, shirt unbuttoned - look what atheism does to people! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Dades, please tell me you don't read the Dailymail!??:eek:
    You came across this link by accident. ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Malty_T wrote: »
    Dades, please tell me you don't read the Dailymail!??:eek:
    You came across this link by accident. ;)
    My missis reads the gossip bits of their site. She saw that story and informed me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Some of the comments after the article, eg:
    My best friend from high school is a Marxist. He, too, is unable to justify his atheist morality. For a long time he was fond of quoting to me some comment of Stalin's that one death is a tragedy, and a million deaths is a statistic. Atheist morality is indeed a very dark and immoral worldview.

make me feel like this:

:(

and this:

:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Why is there such a fury against religion now? Because religion is the one reliable force that stands in the way of the power of the strong over the weak. The one reliable force that forms the foundation of the concept of the rule of law.

Wait, what? Since when has religion stood in the way of the strong? Seems to me that throughout history they have been the strong lording it over the weak, or at least have stood behind the strong giving words of encouragement.

• Advertisement

My best friend from high school is a Marxist. He, too, is unable to justify his atheist morality. For a long time he was fond of quoting to me some comment of Stalin's that one death is a tragedy, and a million deaths is a statistic. Atheist morality is indeed a very dark and immoral worldview.
    Why is there such a fury against religion now? Because religion is the one reliable force that stands in the way of the power of the strong over the weak. The one reliable force that forms the foundation of the concept of the rule of law.

Actually, Marxism (as he mentions in the first quote) is closer to the force he describes in the second quote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Peter Hitches is, how should I put this delicately, a crazy person

Just read through his views on everything from education to Northen Ireland to evolution. The man is the worst stereotype of a middle England conservative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Uhh, what? That's Christopher on he left, and presumably his brother on the right. Is there a clever joke I'm missing here?

Vomit wrote: »
    Bearded, disheveled, bloodshot eyes, shirt unbuttoned - look what atheism does to people! :)

Um, that's the Christian one.

Zillah: According to the Mail, that's Peter on the left. That said, that's assuming the Mail got something right.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

That said, that's assuming the Mail got something right.
    Which it didn't in this case. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭James74

Fairly sure that's Christopher on the left....em...:confused:

Zillah: According to the Mail, that's Peter on the left. That said, that's assuming the Mail got something right.

They're completely wrong.

Personally I am shocked that the Daily Mail has slipped from its normally fantastic journalistic standards.

Also, I can't be the only one who thinks Peter looks a little inbred? Eyes too far apart, low forehead, jutting simian brow...

Um, that's the Christian one.

Are you seriously telling me you don't know what Christopher Hitchens looks like?

Vomit wrote: »
    Are you seriously telling me you don't know what Christopher Hitchens looks like?

Ok, ok!

Jeez, that's the last time I believe the DM when they describe one of their own photos.

Yes, I know what Christopher Hitchens looks like. I didn't know what Peter Hitchens looks like. As I've never seen Chris Hitchens with a beard, I assumed it was just an extremely close family resemblance.

Pretty stupid of me, I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

They both come across as twats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Ok, ok!

Jeez, that's the last time I believe the DM when they describe one of their own photos.

The DM describing one of their own photos of two men, one of which is a columnist for them...says it all really! :pac:

Advertisement