Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard Drive Whistling!

Options
  • 07-03-2010 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭

Hi, I just bought this Samsung F2 1.5TB HDD http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=482721 like 3 weeks ago and it's making this whistling noise. It usually happens when I try to open a folder within the drive. When I double click on a folder it becomes unresponsive for a few seconds and the whistling noise accompanies it. It does open the folder eventually and it's only happened like 6 or 7 times so far. I think I also heard like a clicking noise the last time it happened though. Should I be worried? Is my hard drive already failing ? :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Hard drives spin down when not in use, this is probably the slight delay you feel as the drive has to get the disk to 7400 rpm. You can adjust the spin down time in the power settings in control panel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

Thanks for the reply

So this noise is normal and there's nothing to worry about? I already have almost 1TB worth of files stored in it so I'd totally freak out if I lose all of it ! And it's actually a 5,400 RPM drive by the way :D

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Puteq

jamescd wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply

So this noise is normal and there's nothing to worry about? I already have almost 1TB worth of files stored in it so I'd totally freak out if I lose all of it ! And it's actually a 5,400 RPM drive by the way :D

I would say the same old rule applies to your data on this drive as any data on any drive - it should be backed up somewhere else, regardless of whistling or no. Any hard drive is liable to just die at any given time, and with hard drives so cheap these days, and windows 7 & Vista so good at automatically scheduling backups, theres no reason why not have everything backed up. My advice - buy another hard drive and back all your data up onto that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

I just bought this drive 3 weeks ago for almost 100 euros so I was hoping I won't have to buy another one. I'm in college full time and I only work part-time on the weekends. Because of the recession, my hours have been reduced and recently I was informed of a pay cut. I don't have another 100 euros to spend on another hard drive unfortunately :(

Advertisement