Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Search

Options
  • 07-03-2010 1:24pm

Hey all,
    I'm trying to setup my search settings in Google Chrome and can't use boards.ie as far as I can tell. Is there a typable url where the search terms can be seen?

eg. in the below address, "google" was my search term.
    http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=google&search_type=&aq=f

Is this possible for boards.ie?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Not sure, I'll move this to the Dev forum.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I dont think so, and I suspect thats probably a "good thing" or we will get bombarded with people searching.

However, its something we have expressed an interest in, in the medium term. (I know searching is up on our list of priorities but I am certainly NOT promising any specific features).

Conor or Ross can confirm the technical assumptions I've made here.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Ross

You can do it, the url that you can use for it is:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/search.php?do=process&showposts=1&query=[B]keyword[/B]

There's a bunch of additional parameters, but that's probably the one you're interested in.

DeV: it's effectively the same as doing a regular search, there's no polling involved so there's no additional load beyond the regular load of a search.

Thanks Ross.. This should be perfect from Chrome.
    If it works, it means I can search boards.ie from the address bar by typing "b " before my search terms :D

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Ah, I thought you meant the google search box on the front page, but fair enough, I didn't know the answer to that question either.

• Advertisement

Just tested it at home.. Works perfect. Thanks Ross.
    By a mile my favourite feature of Chrome so far..

I've a bookmark saved as
    b "ads by google"
    that automatically searches boards.ie for anyone who's quoted me.. Happy out :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Ross

Ah yes, the old egosearch :) You're most welcome.

Never worked very well for me I'm afraid, neither "Ross" or "Cult" have never been fabulous keywords.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement