Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor growth

Options
  • 07-03-2010 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭

I have noticed that one particular part of my garden seems to have poor growth. The section in question can get pretty waterlogged in places, so I'm wondering is it the water? or is it just poor soil? My father-in-law said I should plant some Alder trees as they thrive well in waterlogged areas. Just to give an overview of the garden, it's in a country location and about an acre in size. I have one neighbour his site is slightly higher than mine and I think a lot of the water is draining from his elevation. I initially planted Leylandii Castlewellan gold around the site perimeter. The trees in the waterlogged area have either clearly died, or appear not to be growing at all. I've been told the non-growing/slow growing tress might kick into growth, because they are taken longer to get established. Any tips or advice welcome on this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 wildlandscape

The waterlogged soil has rotted the roots of the Leylandii, I suspect.
    Planting Alder is a really good alternative, it loves wet soil, grows fast and is a great wind break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Also a few weeping willow; likes water, quick growing and very picturesque.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Velvet shank

Good advice about the Alder I reckon. A lovely native tree, of high value to wildlife and able to thrive in very wet conditions. I also like the fact that they retain their leaves well into the autumn - stretches out the season I always think!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Thanks for your replies, I'll be ordering some Alder then.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

are alder roots invasive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

Alder roots grow well in wet soils but are not invasive. However the tree can grow large quickly so will the roots.

The roots also have nodules that produce nitrogen, like clover. This benefits neighbouring plants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

I've found Alnus Cordata (Italian Alder) do very well in poor soil with bad drainage. We have also planted Alnus Glutinosa (English: Common Alder) but they havn't done as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

basically the area around raised percolation area at back can get wet after very heavy rain. there are no pipes as such just one running from electic sump down the garden to the module in percolation area. there are land drainage pipes but they are very deep down. i will plant a few alder maybe or birch but also need something that can form a hedge to block of that area

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

km79 wrote: »
    basically the area around raised percolation area at back can get wet after very heavy rain. there are no pipes as such just one running from electic sump down the garden to the module in percolation area. there are land drainage pipes but they are very deep down. i will plant a few alder maybe or birch but also need something that can form a hedge to block of that area

I didn't have much success with the birch, actually lost most of them. What about willow for fast growing screening that likes wet soil? Or a slower option would be hornbeam. Hornbeam is a nice hedge that keeps its dead leaves in winter like Beech, but will grow in poorer quality soil than beech.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Qwerty? wrote: »
    I didn't have much success with the birch, actually lost most of them. What about willow for fast growing screening that likes wet soil? Or a slower option would be hornbeam. Hornbeam is a nice hedge that keeps its dead leaves in winter like Beech, but will grow in poorer quality soil than beech.

Seconding willow, in fact if you feel inclined you can plant a few willow as a hedge and weave them to make a very pretty fedge with red stemmed willow

• Advertisement
Advertisement