Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting sponsored on a WHV

Options
  • 07-03-2010 3:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

My bf and I are considering leaving Ireland for Aus. He is an engineer and work isn't going great for him here. I have heard of people getting sponsored while out there on a WHV. Is this common, possible?? Are there other ways to get sponsored before leaving for Aus? Any advice welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

plink wrote: »
    My bf and I are considering leaving Ireland for Aus. He is an engineer and work isn't going great for him here. I have heard of people getting sponsored while out there on a WHV. Is this common, possible?? Are there other ways to get sponsored before leaving for Aus? Any advice welcome.

Yes I came to Australia on a WHV back in 2004 and got sponsored (Engineer) and been here since, So it sure is possible. But before you get your hopes up too much there are a a few things to consider.

1) It all depends on type of experience your BF has and wether he can find a job in that particular field. When getting Sponsored for a job you have to prove you have experience in that particular job role.

2) Find a Job where the employer is willing to sponsor you, not as easy as it might seem because the employer has to prove that they cannot find any suitable local candidate (Australian or PR) for the job.

3) If you BF does find a job and gets sponsored what are you going to do? He might be able to stay for 4 years but do you qualify as a defacto partner? Would the employer be willing to sponsor you as a defacto partner too.

You either have to be sh!t hot at what you do.... or really lucky.

Check this out http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/sbs/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 plink

hmmm mandrake, thanks. can I ask what kind of engineer you are? Bf is a civil engineer. He has been working for over three years in the same company since graduation and has good experience i gather. I believe they are still looking looking for such ppl in Aus. i know, so much to this about really, but really want to get out of ireland...

hmmm mandrake, thanks. can I ask what kind of engineer you are? Bf is a civil engineer. He has been working for over three years in the same company since graduation and has good experience i gather. I believe they are still looking looking for such ppl in Aus. i know, so much to this about really, but really want to get out of ireland...

I am an Electrical/Electronic Engineer but install and maintain Nuclear medicine equipment, your BF seems to have enough experience to satisfy immigration requirements.... have you been living together for over a year?

well technically not but as good as living together in some respects. do they check that out? I would not qualify as SOL even though I have a degree and masters. but would hope that maybe if we both went over on WHV he might get a good job and they would sponsor us both.
    Is that the best way to try to work things or is there any possibility of getting sponsored pre-departure?

well technically not but as good as living together in some respects. do they check that out? I would not qualify as SOL even though I have a degree and masters. but would hope that maybe if we both went over on WHV he might get a good job and they would sponsor us both.
    Is that the best way to try to work things or is there any possibility of getting sponsored pre-departure?

Yeah they check that out..

You would have to have proof that you were in a defacto relationship for at least a year which means that you would have to have bank statements, phone bills, Gas Bills and Joint rent or Mortgage agreement in both your names all with the same address as your BF...

It might be slightly harder for your BF to get Sponsored if an Employer is responsible for both of you, your BF would have to talk the employer into agreeing with sponsoring you as well. Its more straight forward for both parties if its just the employee alone.

I have heard of Nurses being sponsored Pre-departure because there is a serious shortage of Nurses but I don't think there is a shortage of Civil Engineers to the same extent.
    He would probably need to look absolutely unbelievable on his CV and proof that he is sh!thot in his current job to pull that one off.

• Advertisement

hmmm I still live at home and bf rents in a house belonging to his parents - I dont even think he has any bills in his name! but I will look into it. I think just heading out in on a WHV might be the answer so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

hmmm I still live at home and bf rents in a house belonging to his parents - I dont even think he has any bills in his name! but I will look into it. I think just heading out in on a WHV might be the answer so.

If you do the WHV you can use the time you spend together living here to gather the evidence needed to prove your relationship so that if you manage to find a company here to sponsor either of you it will be much easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Smarties123

mandrake04 wrote: »
    It might be slightly harder for your BF to get Sponsored if an Employer is responsible for both of you, your BF would have to talk the employer into agreeing with sponsoring you as well. Its more straight forward for both parties if its just the employee alone.

This is not true. The employer does not have to be willing to sponsor both of you. You can go defacto on your partner's visa regardless. The employer only sponsors the worker and then it is the decision of the person being sponsored to put any dependents on their visa. You can do this at anytime and you do not need to apply at the same time as your partner is being sponsored. You can do this later down the line when you have more proof.

To be honest it is better to have proof of living together in Australia so you can easily come on a WHV and put your lease and bills in both of your names.

Also for sponsorship visas you only require 6 months proof of living together not 12 months. I am going through this process at the moment and that is what Immigration told me.

This is not true. The employer does not have to be willing to sponsor both of you. You can go defacto on your partner's visa regardless. The employer only sponsors the worker and then it is the decision of the person being sponsored to put any dependents on their visa. You can do this at anytime and you do not need to apply at the same time as your partner is being sponsored. You can do this later down the line when you have more proof.

To be honest it is better to have proof of living together in Australia so you can easily come on a WHV and put your lease and bills in both of your names.

Also for sponsorship visas you only require 6 months proof of living together not 12 months. I am going through this process at the moment and that is what Immigration told me.

Unlike a Permanent Resident a 457 Primary visa holder does not have the rights to sponsor their partner so the responsibility falls back on the employer.

The Employer really only Sponsors the Primary Visa holder, the secondary visa holder is only added on to that application (could be at a later date) but the primary visa holder and all dependents are under the responsibility of the employer. The Employer has to Nominate any Secondary persons either at the time of the original application or at a later date.

From Form 1196N

Nominated persons
    Nominated persons include the following:
    Primary person
    The primary person is generally the person the standard
    business sponsor nominates to work in the nominated
    occupation.
    Secondary person
    • Partner
    ‘Partner’ means your spouse or de facto partner (including
    same-sex partners).
    • Dependent child (under 18 years of age) of the spouse or
    de facto partner
    A dependent child is the child or step-child of the primary
    person, their spouse or de facto partner where the primary
    person, their spouse or de facto partner has legal
    responsibility for the child.
    • Dependent child (aged 18 years and over) and other relatives
    Dependent children (aged 18 years and over) and other
    relatives of the primary person or their spouse or de facto
    partner may be considered in the application if:
    – they have never married or been in a de facto relationship,
    are widowed, divorced or separated;
    – they are usually resident in the primary person’s
    household;
    – they rely on the primary person for financial support for
    their basic needs;
    – the primary person has supported them for a substantial
    period; and
    – they rely on the primary person more than any other
    person or source.
    Children who were assessed as a member of the family unit of
    the primary applicant for the purposes of a previous subclass
    457 visa may be eligible for a further secondary subclass 457
    visa if:
    • they have not married or entered a de facto relationship
    since the last subclass 457 visa was granted; and
    • they have not yet turned 21 years.
    Employers should list all secondary persons who will accompany
    the primary person to, or remain in, Australia at Part C –
    Secondary person(s) details (Question 31).

Obligation to pay costs incurred by the Commonwealth to locate and remove unlawful non-citizen.

The standard business sponsor must pay costs incurred by the Commonwealth in locating and/or removing the primary or secondary sponsored persons from Australia, if the Minister has requested the payment by written notice. The sponsor is liable to pay the Commonwealth the difference between the actual costs incurred by the Commonwealth (up to a maximum of $10 000) less any amount already paid under the obligation to pay travel costs to enable sponsored persons to leave Australia.

In relation to a primary visa holder, this obligation starts to apply on the day on which the primary sponsored person becomes an unlawful non-citizen; and ceases five years after the primary sponsored person leaves Australia.

In relation to a secondary visa holder, this obligation starts to apply on the day on which the secondary sponsored person becomes an unlawful non-citizen; and ceases five years after the secondary sponsored person leaves Australia.

thanks for all this info. its so complicated, but of course it is its a huge thing! I think between now and the time we try to move over i might try transfer my bank address to BFs or something. we were planning to move in together before we decided to see what the options might be abroad but now we cant really get a lease or even afford it!
    does anyone have any good employment links?!

• Advertisement

thanks for all this info. its so complicated, but of course it is its a huge thing! I think between now and the time we try to move over i might try transfer my bank address to BFs or something. we were planning to move in together before we decided to see what the options might be abroad but now we cant really get a lease or even afford it!
    does anyone have any good employment links?!

You could try www.seek.com.au

mandrake04 wrote: »
    You could try www.seek.com.au

thats what I've been looking at, its a pretty good website, thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

If you or he is getting sponsored then it is no real biggy for the employer to put down a secondary person on the application so long you can prove to DIAC that you are a real couple. You just add a name and that is that, in terms of the employers point of view. DIAC is another matter entirely though.

jank wrote: »
    If you or he is getting sponsored then it is no real biggy for the employer to put down a secondary person on the application so long you can prove to DIAC that you are a real couple. You just add a name and that is that, in terms of the employers point of view. DIAC is another matter entirely though.

to prove that we are a real couple shouldnt be a problem...as we are one! but i gather to go defacto we need to be living together. we will sort something out i hope! looking forward to a new start!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

to prove that we are a real couple shouldnt be a problem...as we are one! but i gather to go defacto we need to be living together. we will sort something out i hope! looking forward to a new start!

Easier said than done. If you dont have bills, leases, bank account in the same name or address then you really are stuck! It doesnt matter if you are going out years. It is all about co-habitting in terms of defacto visas.
    Set up an joint bank account NOW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

+1 hes not lying . I have been though this the more stuff you have the better. If I was in DIAC I would be very suspicous of someone applying for a spouse visa who was from abroad but only had aussie evidence of the realationship. To me from a third person it would look as if you wanted to stay and this lad was helping you do it?

Just nip in to AIB chose an address of one of your folks and have an account sit there.

Zambia232 wrote: »
    To me from a third person it would look as if you wanted to stay and this lad was helping you do it?

I had heard that there there used to be no requirement to prove a defacto relationship on a 457 since it was only temporary... it was open to abuse by certain Asian countries who used to set up relationships of convenience with a cash incentive..... once in Australia for a few years people would just disappear. ...

For the usual defacto on PR and definitely defacto on a student visa (which is Temporary) you have to prove 12 months.... in fact I have only ever heard of proving 12 months defacto for any visa.

Someone mentioned earlier post that defacto on a 457 is 6 months... 6 months is really not that long..... like if that was the case I would say a lot of Irish lads & lassies would be sponsoring their house mates, frinend, randoms they met in the pub offering to pay cash for the defacto..

Anyone know of such cases?

I also wonder if any lads out there went defacto on the same-sex with their Sponsored mate just to stay in Australia...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

That would make sense as you had no legal right to remain in Oz without the partner. I am so used to the de-facto or Skilled visa to be honest I never thought. Chances are you could be fine as long as you have some proof.

However the 457 route has its own unique challenges

Yeah If you can go Permanent Resident thats the way to go..

jank wrote: »
    Set up an joint bank account NOW!

yeh i think we will do this, the more stuff we have sorted now then the better the chance is.

• Advertisement
Advertisement