Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What To Do With Left Over Branches!!

Options
  • 07-03-2010 3:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭

We have large trees in the back garden and last week we had about 6 feet taken off the top of them . I now have a big pile of branches and logs sitting in my back garden and I just want to no is there anything I can use it for myself instead of loading it into a van and off to the recycle yard. Is there any machine I can rent out to shread it up and turn it into something I can put on the flower beds. All suggestions welcome please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Saab Ed wrote: »
    We have large trees in the back garden and last week we had about 6 feet taken off the top of them . I now have a big pile of branches and logs sitting in my back garden and I just want to no is there anything I can use it for myself instead of loading it into a van and off to the recycle yard. Is there any machine I can rent out to shread it up and turn it into something I can put on the flower beds. All suggestions welcome please.

You can hire (various sizes available) shredders but be careful new shreddings should not be spread around existing planting because the decomposition process generates heat which can cause scorching. Much safer to set aside in bags or as a separate pile for a few weeks before spreading as a mulch around shrubs/planting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 wildlandscape

Keeping a few branches together as logs forms a great habitat for hibernating hedgehogs, fungi, beneficial insects and insect larvae...which is a great source of food for birds too!

Advertisement