Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ras Naomh Finian / Clonard Road Cluc. 13th March.

• 07-03-2010 3:34pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭

They were giving out flyers for this 70k RR yesterday at the Mick Lally.
    Start and finish in Clonard. Down to Kilbeggan and back basically. Anyone else fancy doing it?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Where's Clonard? Was thinking of racing the Newbridge GP on Sunday, but if I can make it out on Saturday I will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭fondriest

Called the contact number on the flyer yesterday and its a handicap race with all cats in the race so if the same numbers turn up as yesterday it could be hectic/dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I was gonna do the Newbridge one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Ah, didn't notice the Newbridge race, might opt for that instead.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Tempted to start the season here. Anyone else doing it?
    From the flyer below the route looks fairly flat although it's a handicap rather than seperate races...
    13293_346533872486_318485967486_3499174_460216_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Thats the old N6 isn't it? Pan flat and a decent enough road surface too, from what I remember.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

There's another thread on this. Merge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Merged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Few from my club doing it. Great roads for cycling, very flat, and should be quite quiet as the M4 and N4 have replaced a lot of it.
    I'd be doing it myself but I'm away this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

Going to give this one a lash, strange route should be interesting only 1 real hill in it. Reckon it could be a fast race, especially if there is a tailwind involved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

Looks like it will be a fast flat race for rouleurs.

Like the way the Dublin Drogheda race!

No small rings required !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭barney150

I rode this route yesterday, roads are wide and in good condition. Very little traffic on it too The route is bypassed and motorway takes all the traffic, , so it will be as safe as you will get these days. Great circuit for all of u boardies starting out this season. Im going to ride it myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Can anyone give me a lift from Dublin?

I'm suspecting as it is a handicap on the flat with probably inadequate gaps A4 will do no work and be caught by A3 and probably in turn by A2... unless the A3s work and the A2 field is small?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

blorg wrote: »

I'm suspecting as it is a handicap on the flat with probably inadequate gaps A4 will do no work and be caught by A3 and probably in turn by A2... unless the A3s work and the A2 field is small?

I'll be going from De Northside if we can meet somewhere convienient

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

RobFowl wrote: »
    I'll be going from De Northside if we can meet somewhere convienient
    That should be fine, let me know where suits.

That should be fine, let me know where suits.

I'll check directions later and PM you.

(might be your last race as an A4, 100% points scoring record so far !!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

If you sold a few of your bikes you could probably buy a very nice second hand quattroporte. Tasty.

Drive to races in style, just don't crash it in the car park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

who's all heading along to this on sat anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Looks like I'm in for this one too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

I might get sidetracked on my way down d country for the weekend :)

• Advertisement

Good chance I'm in. Picked up my new slippers an hour ago and have to blood them. Razor could be coming out.

Gentlemen, I expect to see race reports by 4pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

el tonto wrote: »
    Gentlemen, I expect to see race reports by 4pm.

You skipping this one? Thought the parcours would suit you nicely...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I'm out, good luck boardsies.

niceonetom wrote: »
    You skipping this one? Thought the parcours would suit you nicely...

I'd love to do it, but my in-laws are over and I promised to watch the match with them. I'm being set free for Newbridge on Sunday though.

Any lifts going from Dublin?

Raam wrote: »
    Any lifts going from Dublin?

Yes leaving Balbriggan at 0815 and collecting Blorg at 0845ish so if you're ready for 080815-20 can leave a bit earlier and collect you

RobFowl wrote: »
    Yes leaving Balbriggan at 0815 and collecting Blorg at 0845ish so if you're ready for 080815-20 can leave a bit earlier and collect you

Will PM ya

Leaving The Smoke at 9am.

• Advertisement

...and Blorg won a sprint finish, raam had a mechanical....

Blorg won?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

News from the Finnish ... Blorg did win! Over the A1 and all ... and he won a trophee.
    Well done Blorg!!!!!

Well done Blorg. Fantastic result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Wow, well done Blorg, what a season so far! Can he win a trophy for every bike?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

Blorg wins and in impressive style as he rode it from the front.
    Briefly as I saw it.
    A4's given 7min handicap.
    Raam had a mechanical after about 5K and I saw him pull over.
    A4's were working well in fits and starts for the first 20K or so into the wind. Average 37Km approx.
    We turned around in Kilbeggan roundabout only to see the A3 comming the other way. It seemed that everybody just sat up at this point and we waited for them but they never caught up.
    I couldnt believe it when approx 15 K from finish Motorcycle rider signals a 2minute lead. About 10 strong riders started to work including about 4 boardies I only recognised Blorg, Niceonetom and occasional pulls at the front by boardie oldies Planet x and myself.
    I held a good position for the sprint but when I stood up on the pedals there was nothing there. I finished about 20 in the bunch. All in a very good day for me as I have been off the bike completely for 8 weeks since christmas with back trouble.
    Nice dry day and road surface on the old N4 is understandably good compared to what we normally race on.
    Well done too to Alan Maye and the Clonard Road Club for excellent marshaling, race started on time and no delays at sign on plenty of parking etc. This is one I will do again.

Edit: My computer bonked at the halfway point. Anybody got stats for the A4's. Overall average wuold be fine. Although a breakdown of the 2nd half might explain why we stayed away.

• Advertisement

Blorg won. Congrats.
    A4 stayed away even though at the halfway point, roundabout in Kilbeggan, the A3 were right behind us, we were coming out of the roundabout and we passed them about half a mile up the road. According to Victorcarerra (he was talking to a few of them after) they were all handbags and wouldn't work together.
    I got dropped about 3 miles out from the finish. Not too unhappy as I did a few stints up front. Our group was about 25/30 I reckon.
    Course was brilliant, not many potholes at all. Loads of marshalls, cops, blue lights, the works.
    Very little braking not like last week. Group well behaved.
    Great food before and after. I had 4 egg sandwiches at the finish and am waiting for a result................:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

Planet X wrote: »
    I had 4 egg sandwiches at the finish

I thought you had brought those with you. If I had known they were giving them out I would have stayed around.
    I guess I followed the wrong wheel there.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Fantastic result Blorg. Congrats and very well done. Enjoy and kick on.

Ya want to see the size of the cup he won. Size of a planet! It'll take some filling................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

Good man blorg!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Congrats blorg. Sorry not to make it. Last minute change of plans

Great win by blorg, power house of work throughout the race... Victor I was cycling beside you for a good while today, only found out after who you were, will say hello next time :)

Stats....
    First half avg 37.4
    second half 40.6

Was a few good periods of up and overs, seeing the A3's at the half way certainly seemed to help with a bit of organisation for a while, then on some of the longer drags it seemed to descend into alot of moaning with everyone trying to keep something when the A3 train blasted past that never came. After the KOM point about 20 riders drove the pace up a bit(39 - 41), was certainly good fun hitting roundabouts at 46+km/hr sticking on a wheel nearly touching the ground. Didn't really keep enough in reserve for a sprint finish, but never expected to be able to out sprint the fresh people who came through, somewhere in top 20 finish which i was happy with :) 4 breakaways for me messing about, probably should have taken some stuff a little more seriously(2 solo, 2 with others). Was a lot more fun than last week, up the front is much more fun, more tiring i guess but less worrying about who's moving into your wheel like in the bunch(other than one guy who would come up the outside for the up and overs and then just career into the left lane of people to not take his turn, effectively killing the up and overs....)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭Flankerb

Some data from today fell away about 3 miles after Kilbeggan.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/26851678
    Well done Blorg.
    Caroline.ie are you riding for Lucan?
    regards
    Karl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

Well done Blorg, was hoping to make it today but ended up with a stomach bug, (wouldn't have caught ye anyway)

Cycling Ireland report:

http://www.irishcycling.com/publish/news/art_4640.shtml

...and a good picture of the winner!

haha excellent, he was worried they didn't catch his winning salute :)

Blorg won. Congrats.
    A4 stayed away even though at the halfway point, roundabout in Kilbeggan, the A3 were right behind us, we were coming out of the roundabout and we passed them about half a mile up the road. According to Victorcarerra (he was talking to a few of them after) they were all handbags and wouldn't work together.
    I got dropped about 3 miles out from the finish. Not too unhappy as I did a few stints up front. Our group was about 25/30 I reckon.

your more or less TT'n it from the middle of the pack out front on some of those drags probably didn't help, though thanks for the wheel back to the front ;) Nevermind chasing down my solo off the front :)

oh and as for marshalling, it was excellent, best i've seen, possibly an easier course than most for it, but it was really well done with all access roads having garda on them ensuring no traffic, traffic calming had marshals for the heads up.

your more or less TT'n it from the middle of the pack out front on some of those drags probably didn't help, though thanks for the wheel back to the front ;) Nevermind chasing down my solo off the front :)

oh and as for marshalling, it was excellent, best i've seen, possibly an easier course than most for it, but it was really well done with all access roads having garda on them ensuring no traffic, traffic calming had marshals for the heads up.

........sure.......it's a bit a craic! :D:D

........sure.......it's a bit a craic! :D:D

that it is :D

nothing like being told by blorg that attacking at that point was useless, only to be in the group that pulled his attack back in not 5 minutes later ;) all good fun :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Well done blorg!

• Advertisement
Advertisement