Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Brand versus Name Brand - how does your experience compare?

Options
  • 07-03-2010 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭

Right, I want to start this thread to find out what Tesco Brand products are just as good as the real thing and which ones aren't.

Mine go:

> Tesco Coffee - just as tasty as the other Instant Coffee brand except you need to use more beans than usual

> Tesco Rashers - Surprisingly good. I initially thought that the large cut of meat was mostly water content, but after cooking I wasn't left with a tiny fledging of a rasher.

> Tesco Soup - compared to Avonmore, it's absolutely revolting. Like a sloppy wetpan of blobby water.

> Tesco 'Quick-make' Pasta - Also very awful. The pasta stayed solid and the water in the bowl just went a bit mirky. Tasted like soggy water.

> Tesco Eggs - eggs are eggs no matter where you go. I didn't get sick, let's just say that.

Postings are aprreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Not a Consumer Issue - Moved to Food & Drink

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

They have several own brand ranges these days,
    tesco value
    "tesco standard"
    tesco finest

But also they have new tesco brands which are not blatantly tesco, e.g. the curry leaf range of sauces. Many of these "non-blatant" brands are priced between value and standard and are often a lot better than standard or higher priced ingredients. e.g. one of the curry leaf curry sauces has a high % of coconut & cream in it compared to other brands. There is a diet cola called sunsip for 49cent and I prefer it over tescos standard one which costs more. They also have a premium diet cola which uses sucralose and tastes similar to the sunsip.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,994 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Teso Fruit and Fibre - Good value for money compared to Kelloggs and tastes just fine
    Tesco Jelly (pots) - These are really tastey and cheaper than Hartleys by a good bit

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

Usually i would say the tesco brand stuff is fine but the other day i bought tesco sugar free cola, it is poison. i can't drink it. bare in my the aldi and lidl sugar free cola taste fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Tesco mouth wash is horrendous.
    I returned it!

Glad ziplok freezer bags are far better than the tesco ones (if, as like me, you like to reuse them)

Leaves you not able to taste anything for hours:eek:

But why are we giving Tesco so much free promotion?
    My local one has gone to pot as regards the range it carries - really only going there from habit now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement