Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how difficult is Tommies and Purple

Options
  • 07-03-2010 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭

Hi
    Walk Killarney are doing 2 climbs over the weekend of 20/21 March. I have done Stoompa and Mangerton before and while I found it tough I did make it and they do hold back if you need a minute but what I want to find out is how much tougher and in what way is Tommies and Purple? I am fairly fit and do some climbs but would hate to get out of my depth and be holding a group back. How long do you think it would take to do and what type of climb is it? I was up to the top of Mangerton last Sunday it was lovely on top in the snow. So I just want to get an idea as they say on their info Tommies more challenging than Mangerton

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

coleen wrote: »
    Hi
    Walk Killarney are doing 2 climbs over the weekend of 20/21 March. I have done Stoompa and Mangerton before and while I found it tough I did make it and they do hold back if you need a minute but what I want to find out is how much tougher and in what way is Tommies and Purple? I am fairly fit and do some climbs but would hate to get out of my depth and be holding a group back. How long do you think it would take to do and what type of climb is it? I was up to the top of Mangerton last Sunday it was lovely on top in the snow. So I just want to get an idea as they say on their info Tommies more challenging than Mangerton

Done Purple->Tomies South->Shehy->Tomies a few weeks back on a fabulous clear morning. Had read some accounts stating that it was a very tough walk but I didn't find it too bad at all.

I started from the head of the Gap of Dunloe so went up Purple first - while tricky in places, I didn't find the ascent too tough at all and once you're up there, you pretty much keep the height.

The part of the walk that I didn't enjoy was the descent of Tomies as this is through some pretty thick and long heather and is very energy sapping. Hard to put a time on it as I had the camera and stopped for loads of photos (http://www.flickr.com/photos/50277096@N00/sets/72157623503288526/) but I got off to an early start and was back down at Kate Kearneys by noon - went on to take in a couple of the Eastern Reeks in the afternoon..

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭NathanKingerlee

I'd agree with Paulocon, It's grand, about a 6 hour walk without pushing yourself too hard. With the cloud or mist down it's a tricky place to navigate, but in clear conditions it shouldn't be a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

paulocon wrote: »
    Done Purple->Tomies South->Shehy->Tomies a few weeks back on a fabulous clear morning. Had read some accounts stating that it was a very tough walk but I didn't find it too bad at all.

I started from the head of the Gap of Dunloe so went up Purple first - while tricky in places, I didn't find the ascent too tough at all and once you're up there, you pretty much keep the height.

The part of the walk that I didn't enjoy was the descent of Tomies as this is through some pretty thick and long heather and is very energy sapping. Hard to put a time on it as I had the camera and stopped for loads of photos (http://www.flickr.com/photos/50277096@N00/sets/72157623503288526/) but I got off to an early start and was back down at Kate Kearneys by noon - went on to take in a couple of the Eastern Reeks in the afternoon..

great pics

Advertisement