Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shotgun application questions.

Options
  • 07-03-2010 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭

I will be applying for a shotgun this week and need to know a few things before i submit my form,I aonly want the gun for pest control and might do a bit of clay shooting,not a member of a club but have permission to shoot over lands.
    1 should i apply for a firearm cert or a limited cert?
    4.2 why this type if firearm is required?
    5.1 do i intent to shoot exemped wild animals?
    how many rounds do i apply for?

everything else is in place security etc. as i have other guns.
    thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

daveob007 wrote: »
    1) should i apply for a firearm cert or a limited cert?

Firearm certificate.
    2) 4.2 why this type if firearm is required?

For the control of pests and vermin on lands shot by me.
    3) 5.1 do i intent to shoot exemped wild animals?

No.
    4) how many rounds do i apply for?

between 250 and 500. Should see you out between trips to dealers.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

thats my questions answered thanks.
    another quick one can i shoot crows/grey crows/magpies as vermin or do i have to prove that they are causing damage to anything???
    dont want to end up in trouble either.

To the best of my knowledge yes you can as they are classed as pests/vermin. You may be thinking of woodcock or similar types of fowl that as a rule have a season but can be shot out of season if damage to crops, etc is being caused.

Open to correction on this one.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

ezridax wrote: »
    To the best of my knowledge yes you can as they are classed as pests/vermin. You may be thinking of woodcock or similar types of fowl that as a rule have a season but can be shot out of season if damage to crops, etc is being caused.

Open to correction on this one.
    just wondering because i thought there was some sort of eu directive on hunting that only allows you to shoot vermin only if they are causing damage to crops,we all know that the grey crow is a serious threat to young lambs not well up on the wildlife acts in relation to this buy surely numbers of pest species need to be controlled and shooting is better than poisoning.

daveob007 wrote: »
    ........... i thought there was some sort of eu directive on hunting

Not sure.
    ...................................not well up on the wildlife acts .......................

Neither am i. Still there is a subtle difference in relation to wording.....
    ........some sort of eu directive on hunting that only allows ........

Technically its not really hunting rather pest control as you said. Same stipulation applies to foxes. You cannot actively hunt them, but can actively cull them for the protection of livestock, etc.

Again i'm hoping a legal mind comes along and clarifies this point, but to end on this note i would not worry about it. Shoot away, tidy up after you shoot and enjoy yourself. Don't let it weigh you down.

• Advertisement
Advertisement