Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I need your help - adding cardio to my workout plans

• 07-03-2010 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

I am totally convert in doing weights, and I found a bikini fit routine I would like to do in the next 6 weeks from my Woman’s Health big book of exercises. Its 3 days weekly purely weights training plan. I am looking for purely cardio workouts to compliment the weights.

I am tempted to try c25k. I have never liked running but with the days getting longer, and the podcasts to guide me trough it I am tempted This way may be I could keep running in Lanzarote? (Lanzarote is like 7 weeks ahead so I am thinking it what can be nicer way to exercise then swimming and running on the beach? I wake up earlier then my son and husband so I can easily go for a jog in the morning)

If I lose 2 to 4 pounds in the next 6 weeks great, if I don’t I will still be happy the main goal is to look fit

So my question is - will it be too hard to attempt two new programs at the same time?

Should I in addition to the weights workouts
    a) Stick to weights and do walks every day
    b) Add cardio dvd’s and classes (zumba, kickbox dvds and aerobic classes keep it light and fun)
    c) Do the C25K in conjunction with weights

Here is the place to confess that last year I fell of the wagon before holiday as I overstrained myself. I end up taking months off exercise and I really don't want to do that - but I want to look good in my bikini. I am recovering from sinus infection and was under the weather and off exercise for awhile (10 days), but I did Tom Venutos routines (weights) before that - 2 to 3 times weekly, and kickbox or aerobic class or dvds home so on average I would be exercising at least 4 times weekly - not counting hour or more walking daily. However I never managed to keep do workouts over 5 days weekly and I don’t want my weights training to suffer
    Please feel free to give different suggestions.
    I would also love to hear you favourite pre and post workout snacks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭J-Fit

didka wrote: »
    I am totally convert in doing weights, and I found a bikini fit routine I would like to do in the next 6 weeks from my Woman’s Health big book of exercises. Its 3 days weekly purely weights training plan. I am looking for purely cardio workouts to compliment the weights.

I am tempted to try c25k. I have never liked running but with the days getting longer, and the podcasts to guide me trough it I am tempted This way may be I could keep running in Lanzarote? (Lanzarote is like 7 weeks ahead so I am thinking it what can be nicer way to exercise then swimming and running on the beach? I wake up earlier then my son and husband so I can easily go for a jog in the morning)

If I lose 2 to 4 pounds in the next 6 weeks great, if I don’t I will still be happy the main goal is to look fit

So my question is - will it be too hard to attempt two new programs at the same time?

Should I in addition to the weights workouts
    a) Stick to weights and do walks every day
    b) Add cardio dvd’s and classes (zumba, kickbox dvds and aerobic classes keep it light and fun)
    c) Do the C25K in conjunction with weights

Here is the place to confess that last year I fell of the wagon before holiday as I overstrained myself. I end up taking months off exercise and I really don't want to do that - but I want to look good in my bikini. I am recovering from sinus infection and was under the weather and off exercise for awhile (10 days), but I did Tom Venutos routines (weights) before that - 2 to 3 times weekly, and kickbox or aerobic class or dvds home so on average I would be exercising at least 4 times weekly - not counting hour or more walking daily. However I never managed to keep do workouts over 5 days weekly and I don’t want my weights training to suffer
    Please feel free to give different suggestions.
    I would also love to hear you favourite pre and post workout snacks

Stick to the weights. If it's Tom Venuto's stuff you can be pretty confident that you are in good hands. You should add cardio 2 or even 3 times per week if you can handle it as is usually recommended by Venuto. No need for endless boring runs (or rows/boxing/cycling/etc.), do 20 to 30 mins of 1 min hard work alternated with 2 mins of very low intensity work. It won't be too difficult to attempt these "two" programmes at all so long as you are operating within your capacity to undertake the work. Listen to your body. It's extremely important not to confuse lethargy with tiredness and vice versa. You are the best judge. Having overtrained before you should be well aware of the signs. Your target of 2 lbs in 6 weeks could be quadrupled if (and only if) you have your diet and training right. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭didka

Thanks for your reply.
    Any tips on avoiding muscle pain? What kind of pre and post workout food would give me best fuel?

Also is there anything like gels that you use (like deep heat) and do you use them before or after working out? I am kind of clean eater (well, 90% of the time) so I wouldn't be familiar with protein bars and shakes - but I would be interested to know if they would bring any benefit to avoid overtraining and give me strength?

Sorry if the questions are silly

Currently I have dinner before workout which would be lean protein with allot of veggies and something like small portion of basmati rice or half portion of wholgrain pasta (50g uncooked weight). After workout I have banana with few row nuts, or greek yougurt and ground flax seed. Does this sound good or a protein bar after workout would be better?

Thanks for your reply.
    Any tips on avoiding muscle pain? What kind of pre and post workout food would give me best fuel?

Also is there anything like gels that you use (like deep heat) and do you use them before or after working out? I am kind of clean eater (well, 90% of the time) so I wouldn't be familiar with protein bars and shakes - but I would be interested to know if they would bring any benefit to avoid overtraining and give me strength?

Sorry if the questions are silly

Currently I have dinner before workout which would be lean protein with allot of veggies and something like small portion of basmati rice or half portion of wholgrain pasta (50g uncooked weight). After workout I have banana with few row nuts, or greek yougurt and ground flax seed. Does this sound good or a protein bar after workout would be better?

Pre-workout looks ok. Post workout I would keep the banana, drop the Greek yogurt and flax and replace with a shake or other source of lean protein. Muscle pain sort of goes with the territory for the first few weeks but should decrease thereafter. Good ways of counteracting it include foam rolling followed by stretching and fish oil capsules.

thanks J-Fit,
    I do take Omega 3 oil capsules anyway, I will drop to the health store to look for protein powder, any tips on choosing one over another?
    First run was last night, first workout due tonight - I will report back in 6 weeks

Thanks for your help.

thanks J-Fit,
    I do take Omega 3 oil capsules anyway, I will drop to the health store to look for protein powder, any tips on choosing one over another?

Not really. I like optimum or cytosport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Hey
    I don't know how you feel about supplements but, creatine + glutamine + glucose in your whey shake, post workout shake should help you rebound faster. This is the time carbs actually are needed. Stay away from any fat's if possible for at least 2 hours after the workout, they slow down digestion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 cyberfitnessgur

Add 45 mins of cycle or jogging after your workout.

It will do great things for weight loss.

Shootermacg, I would take anything to get me trough the first few weeks pain. Well nearly anything but is sounds like allot of stuff, is there no drink/powder that contain all of that?

Cyberfitnessgur, thanks for the tip. I am afraid I usually feel done after my weights, I would love to build up so I could do my weight followed by 30 minutes runs 3 times weekly, but for now I will keep them on different days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Shootermacg, I would take anything to get me trough the first few weeks pain. Well nearly anything but is sounds like allot of stuff, is there no drink/powder that contain all of that?

Cyberfitnessgur, thanks for the tip. I am afraid I usually feel done after my weights, I would love to build up so I could do my weight followed by 30 minutes runs 3 times weekly, but for now I will keep them on different days.

1 hour before Pre workout shake:
    I just put in 1 scoop whey fill up to 300ml and eat a bananna.
    There is evidence that creatine is better taken after a workout, although I take mine in the morning, so whenever you want to take it is fine by me as long as you don't take it twice ^ ^.

Post workout shake:
    Real easy to mix up, 1.5 scoops of simple carbs ie: glucose(60/70g), 2 scoops whey(80g), 1 rounded tea spoon glutamine, 1 heaped teaspoon creatine put in a shaker, add 500ml water and shake. Actually tastes nice enough.
    Get it in you as soon as possible after the workout (i bring a bottle of water and the dry ingredients so I have it immediately after)

1 scoop is usually a 40g scoop that comes with the whey isolate.

Don't worry too much about glucose after a good workout.
    Glucose is only bad for you if taken at the wrong times as it illecits an insulin spike , but after your workout this is desirable as it halts catabolism which breaks down muscle tissue.

Google any of the ingredients, I'm sure the explanation you will get would be better than any I could provide. Without a shake your prone to delayed muscle pain, with the creatine I find I can squeeze in an extra rep or 2 and it gives me energy all day.

One word of advice is drink 4 litres water per day when on creatine!

As far as exercise is concerned don't do cardio with a muscle you were using during your weight session, this can lead to reduced gains or worse over training, so never run on a leg day ^ ^.
    I've read this somewhere and to me it makes sense but don't ask me to dig up the the link and I'm totally open to correction.

Advertisement