Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Poland, France, Romania & Russian Front Wehrmacht album

• 07-03-2010 6:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭

Here are some shots from an Album I picked up a while ago as part of a 4-album 700 picure set.

http://www.militaria-archive.com/albumsII/ostfront%201942/index.html

This album covers one man through France (Nancy, Nantes & Strasbourg) Poland and then into Romania and Russia. Featuring many vehicles, motorcycles, staff cars, trucks, Raupenschlepper Ost (Steyr RSO), early panzer mockups/armoured cars as well as a Russian front Tiger tank picture.

Officer inspection/ceremony in Nancy, France 1941

FR_PL_RU21.jpg

FR_PL_RU13.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Marching through occuppied France

FR_PL_RU65.jpg

Field gun exercises

FR_PL_RU70.jpg

FR_PL_RU73.jpg

Traffic accident

FR_PL_RU83.jpg

Operation Barbarossa

FR_PL_RU113.jpg

FR_PL_RU115.jpg

FR_PL_RU120.jpg

Repairs

FR_PL_RU124.jpg

FR_PL_RU131.jpg

FR_PL_RU178.jpg
    FR_PL_RU182.jpg

FR_PL_RU184.jpg
    FR_PL_RU192.jpg
    Dancing with civilians

FR_PL_RU228.jpg
    FR_PL_RU217.jpg

Features photographs of Wehrmacht field testing a captured Karabing przeciwpancerny wzór 35 (kb ppanc wz. 35 or anti-tank rifle, model 35. A Polish 7.92 mm anti-tank rifle used in small numbers by the Polish Army during the September 1939 invasion of Poland & also at least once in ghetto uprisings. Code name, kb Urugwaj (kb Ur) & renamed by the Wehrmacht the Panzerbüchse 35 (polnisch) (PzB 35(p)) I read somewhere that in one of the Gheto uprisings an SS man was shot in the head from a distance with one of these leading the germans to think some kind of new weapon had been dropped by the allies.

FR_PL_RU88.jpg

Sniper01.jpg

Early mock panzers
    FR_PL_RU89.jpg

Raupenschlepper Ost (Steyr RSO)

FR_PL_RU224.jpg

RSO towing a truck
    FR_PL_RU253.jpg

FR_PL_RU270.jpg

There are lots more here if anyone wants to check them out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

Thanks for posting those Morlar,some great shots there,I love post no.5.Thats one serious looking rifle.

I like that one too, if you look closely at #5 you will see they are wearing ear protectors & one guy is doing a double take at the size of the round!

Here are a couple more of that rifle;

FR_PL_RU36.jpg

FR_PL_RU37.jpg

There is also an article on wikipedia about it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wz._35_anti-tank_rifle

Secrecy and confusion

The weapon was initially a top secret of the Polish Army, and was also known by various codenames. Until mobilization in 1939, the combat-ready rifles were held in closed crates enigmatically marked, "Do not open; surveillance equipment."

One of the rifle's cover names was "Urugwaj" (hence "Ur"), the Polish name for Uruguay, the country to which the "surveillance equipment" was supposedly being exported.

After the fall of Poland, the German army captured large numbers of the kb ppanc wz.35 and used it as "Panzerbüchse 35 (polnisch)" (abbreviated "PzB 35(p)"). The Italian army also benefited from the booty and used it under its own designation as "fucile controcarro 35(P)." Both names translate roughly as "Anti-tank Rifle 35 (Polish)."

In early 1940, one of the rifles, its stock and barrel sawed off, was smuggled out of Poland across the Tatra Mountains into Hungary for the Allies by Krystyna Skarbek and Polish fellow couriers. The rifle never saw service with the Allies, however, because the drawings and specifications had been destroyed by the Poles during the invasion of Poland; reverse engineering would have required too much time.
    [edit] Description

Panzerbüchse 35(p)

Despite well-established opinion, the Karabin przeciwpancerny wz.35 was extensively used during the Invasion of Poland of 1939 by most Polish units. After Poland was overrun by Germany and the Soviet Union, large quantities of this weapon were captured. The Germans pressed it into service as Panzerbüchse 35 (polnisch) (PzB 35(p)), and sped up work on their own simplified, one-shot anti-tank rifle Panzerbüchse 39 (PzB 39). According to some sources, however, the Germans replaced the DS bullets in the captured ammunition with their own 7.92 mm hardened-steel-core bullets from the PzB 39.

Also, several features of the Polish rifle, most notably the lock, were used in developing the Soviet PTRD, 14.5 mm anti-tank rifle.

In 1940, Germany sold some 800 Polish antitank rifles to the Italian armed forces, which used it in combat until the end of World War II.

I hadn't noticed the ear protectors until you pointed them out,looking more closely quite a few have them in.For a standard sized round it really packed some punch.Its interesting looking at the difference in the butt compared to the photo's from Wiki.You must have a fantastic photo collection built up now,its great to see them,thanks.

arnhem44 wrote: »
    I hadn't noticed the ear protectors until you pointed them out,looking more closely quite a few have them in.For a standard sized round it really packed some punch.Its interesting looking at the difference in the butt compared to the photo's from Wiki.You must have a fantastic photo collection built up now,its great to see them,thanks.

I think your right about the stock being different ! It certainly is & I have been going through some reference sites & now think that it's the Panzerbüchse pzb 39 not the 35.

I had originally looked at that one but some of the photos on the web show it with a loading cartridge attachment thing which is missing from mine - but this one here shows what looks to be the closest match ;

107037.jpg

http://www.achtungpanzer.com/articles/pzb.htm

Going from the stand and where the bolts are this seems to be the one. Cheers for catching that.

I think the second one in that picture is definitely closer to home,the Panzerbuchse PzB 39,the more I look at it makes me wonder about the guy's carrying them,must of weighed quite a bit

• Advertisement

I figured rather than start a new thread I would put some of these up here instead.

These pictures are from a WW2 Wehrmacht Cavalry France & Russia album.

This album was not expensive (€95) or all that rare but I though it may be interesting to some here.

107 picture album of a cavalry unit showing horsedrawn wagons, field/anti-tank gun exercises and covering France and Russia. This includes a knocked out T-34 with KIA, SdKfz 263 8-Rad Panzerfunkwagen tavelling in convoy through burned village and several 7.5 cm leichtes Infanteriegeschütz 18. Multiple pictures of Wehrmacht travelling by horse and with wagon & wagons by train. Russian Prisoners of War are shown marching back from the front while the army advance. It also features a set of pictures showing several troops marching from their barracks to the Stabsarzt Kommandant Luftschutzraum (bomb shelter) to present him with a flower.

http://www.militaria-archive.com/albums2.html

http://www.militaria-archive.com/cavalry/index.html

Knocked out T34 with KIA in foreground

Inf_Cavalry_03.jpg

Unknown tank in front of Orthodox

Inf_Cavalry_04.jpg

Panzer and Heer briefing in the forest

Inf_Cavalry_06.jpg

Convoy

Inf_Cavalry_14.jpg

SdKfz 263 8-Rad Panzerfunkwagen in convoy

Inf_Cavalry_12.jpg

SdKfz 263 8-Rad Panzerfunkwagen passing through a burning village

Inf_Cavalry_11.jpg

Inf_Cavalry_19.jpg

Train-riding to the Russian front

Inf_Cavalry_30.jpg

Field/anti-tank gun exercises

Inf_Cavalry_39.jpg

(Probably) 7.5 cm leichtes Infanteriegeschütz 18 & crew on field exercises

Inf_Cavalry_46.jpg

Wehrmacht Field stove

Inf_Cavalry_47.jpg

Horse Carriage

Inf_Cavalry_49.jpg

Pianos for the war effort

Inf_Cavalry_51.jpg

Wagons into Russia

Inf_Cavalry_68.jpg

Russia

Inf_Cavalry_83.jpg

Inf_Cavalry_101.jpg

Wehrmacht horse drawn wagons & destroyed vehicles

Inf_Cavalry_106.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

Morlar wrote: »
    Unknown tank in front of Orthodox

Inf_Cavalry_04.jpg

The Cathedral is in smolensk
    theres two tanks
    heres two photos(one terribly out of focus)

1 a view of your tank, terrible focus
    cathedral-smolensk2.jpg
    2 taking a bit further back with tthe second tank in view
    cathedral-smolensk1.jpg

id say your guy was later (more glass missing from the circular windows)

Mousey- wrote: »
    The Cathedral is in smolensk
    Hi Mousey

Thanks for the info - You are correct !

Looks like the tanks are gone and the trees have grown;

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1037113863015638233pcvUmc

Found this entry on wiki which I thought was interesting :

According to local legend, when Napoleon Bonaparte entered the temple after Smolensk had fallen to the French army in 1812, he looked up at the altar wall and proclaimed that if any one of his soldiers dared to steal anything from it he would personally kill that man. The cathedral sustained enormous damage during the WWII fighting, when the 11th-century miraculous icon of Theotokos of Smolensk perished in a great fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

Brilliant pictures. Amazing...

Just to fill some spots:
    The German AT guns are mostly 3.7cm PaK 35/36 /4th, 8th, 18th and 19th picture from the start/ and half picture of 7.5cm PaK 40 /12th/.
    Then StuG IIIG Early version /14th/, my favorite 'tank'.
    The Knocked out Soviet tank is T-26 and those 2 monsters in front of Smolensk cathedral are some of the Mk.? British WWI types as can be clearly seen on the last picture /from Mousey/. Remnants of the Russian civil war I'd say...

FiSe wrote: »
    Brilliant pictures. Amazing...

Just to fill some spots:
    The German AT guns are mostly 3.7cm PaK 35/36 and half picture of 7.5cm PaK 40.
    Then StuG IIIG Early version, my favorite 'tank'.
    The Knocked out Soviet tank is T-26 and those 2 monsters in front of Smolensk cathedral are some of the Mk.? British WWI types as can be clearly seen on the last picture. Remnants of the Russian civil war I'd say...

Hi again and cheers for the info.

I am not too sure about the 3.7cm anti-tank (Pak 36) though. If you look at this one (sorry about the watermark - but have had to start using them):

Inf_Cavalry_40.jpg

The reason being the proportion of the men to the gun, also the spoked wheels doesnt seemt o match the 3.7cm pak (when compared to say - the one on the wiki page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3.7_cm_Pak_36)

Also the barrel is a lot shorter (more like a stub -nosed one if you know what I mean)

Inf_Cavalry_52.jpg

The closest match I could find was the 7.5 cm leichtes Infanteriegeschütz 18 :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.5_cm_leichtes_Infanteriegesch%C3%BCtz_18

but even that is difficult to be precise - note the absence of spoked wheels there. I was thinking mine were an later/earlier variation perhaps ? I also referred to a book called conveniently enough 'German WW2 Anti-tank Guns' though even with that reference it is hard to be precise due to the angles of the pictures and the numbers of variations.

You definitely hit the nail on the head with the T-26, I took one look at that and thought - T-34 and left it that - so cheers for the info on that one.

Can you confirm which pic you are referring to as being the Stug III ? I am confused because the one I most recently posted is indeed the SdKfz 263 8-Rad Panzerfunkwagen, ie this one

Inf_Cavalry_12.jpg

- on a reference site for comparison

http://www.panzer-reich.co.uk/panzerfunkwagen-sdkfz263-8-rad.htm

Cheers

• Advertisement

You are right about those guns. Pak 35/36 is in the photographs before.
    PaK 35/36: http://www.worldwar2aces.com/panzer-tank/pak37-antitank/

I have edited my previous post, have counted pictures from the start of this thread...

I have edited my previous post, have counted pictures from the start of this thread...

Yep - after I posted that I figured you may be talking about the first album. So 'Le Tigre' is actually the Stug III variant G :)
    I went by the writing there to be honest it looked like it said 'Tiger' in the caption !

I also found this :

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41VE42S792L.jpg

Thanks again for checking those & clarifying that.

Morlar wrote: »
    Yep - after I posted that I figured you may be talking about the first album. So 'Le Tigre' is actually the Stug III variant G :)
    I went by the writing there to be honest it looked like it said 'Tiger' in the caption !

I also found this :

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41VE42S792L.jpg

Thanks again for checking those & clarifying that.

No worries.
    That's the latter version with thicker frontal armour and different gun housing /Saukopfblende/ anyway, the 'Le Tigre' could be the name of the gun as the author would know the type. Just my thought...

If someone could reckognize the lorries, that would be great too.

No worries.
    That's the latter version with thicker frontal armour and different gun housing /Saukopfblende/ anyway, the 'Le Tigre' could be the name of the gun as the author would know the type. Just my thought...

If someone could reckognize the lorries, that would be great too.

I believe they are a mixture of Mercedes Benz type G3 Survey Truck &
    Maschinefabrik Augsburg-Nürnberg AG (MAN) diesel. I got hold of a couple of reference books 'Trucks of the Wehrmacht' and so on and have been going through those in reference to a Poland Werkstatt zug photo album that isn't online yet. Also going back over the above 2 Russian ones too.

Checked that symbol on the RSO, it looks like it belongs to 282.Inf.Div. during Zitadelle, 1943.
    But could be wrong...

Checked that symbol on the RSO, it looks like it belongs to 282.Inf.Div. during Zitadelle, 1943.
    But could be wrong...

Can I ask where you found that ?

That's been bugging me for weeks and online all I could find were the tactical symbols, ie square for infantry, Column number on the side ie this kind of thing

bst.jpg

Also
    http://www.smallscaleafv.com/Novinky5/72_Archer72046_02.jpg

http://www.tracks-n-troops.com/shop/images/archer/ART72045W.jpg

A lot of which stem from the modelling community. I would love to find a comprehensive resource that covered unit emblems online or in print.

Just on the offchance there is one more unit emblem I am trying to ID at present (have posted on Axis history about it too but so far no joy).

FR_PL_RU124.jpg

Here:

http://www.wwiidaybyday.com/emblems/emblemsmain.htm

brilliant page, unfortunately there was 100s and 100s of different units and subunits using different symbols and lots of them aren't known or isn't known which unit they belong to.

Advertisement