Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quotes needed for English HL Comparative?

Options
  • 07-03-2010 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Do you need to include quotes, or could you write a good general vision essay without them?

Comments

Yes, you need to be quoting or making close reference to your texts in all questions in Paper 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

nope
    my grinds teach says you don't need any
    some people do it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭DC09

irish_man wrote: »
    nope
    my grinds teach says you don't need any
    some people do it anyway
    i hope ya dont, my grinds teacher gave me a sample answer without any, so i was thinkin ya might not.

its way handier, ****ing hate remembering quotes:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

I have not really heard of anyone using quotes for the Comparatives or purposely learning them either.

Also you haven't said what texts you are doing either incase anyone has quotes they would like to share with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Stewie Griffin

No they are not needed OP. Detailed reference to key moments is more than adequate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

My teacher told us to learn off key quotes but said you didn't have to have them in your essay. I'm going to put them in anyway if i remember them on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Behind you Joey

Looks much better if you have a few key quotes. I have about 6 in my GVV essay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

No, they're not necessary at all for comparitive essays. Mind you, they'd look mighty impressive, so if you have some quotes and can learn them, then why not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

I thought you had to know a few..that takes a bit of pressure of me heh.

Im going to leanr a few though I'd say,Well the ones I remeber anyway will help

"Are you a Goblin?" "No I'm not a f**king Goblin!"-Inside I'm Dancing

My personal favourite from Billy Eliot : 'Alright alright don't lose your blob!'.
    Don't think i'll be using it much though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭DC09

My personal favourite from Billy Eliot : 'Alright alright don't lose your blob!'.
    Don't think i'll be using it much though.
    ya, probably wont come in that handy for ya:p

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭IrishKev

As far as I can remember, I only have one quote in my GVV essay.
    Lies of Silence: "Why should he stay here, why would anyone in their senses stay here?", or something along those lines.
    What comparitive texts are everyone doing? I'm doing the book Lies of Silence, Dancing at Lughnasa, and Il Postino (Italian w/ Eng subs), so quoting from Il Postino is kinda pointless really.
    Off topic, what do ye think of the comparitive in general? I find it fairly easy really, although I've only really done out a sample essay on GVV, but I think once you know what you're going to write about it's fairly simple. Learning off key points is the easiest for doing the essay imo, I think learning off an essay like 6 pages long is far more time-wasting than just learning off the key points, and barely as useful.

DC09 wrote: »
    ya, probably wont come in that handy for ya:p

I might be able to fit it in somewhere :cool: nah I have others, just can't remember them atm!

I like the comparative in general but I havn't done a lot on it, i've just gone through the three texts and made a few little points on the titles we have to write under. Looking forward to doing more on it because i like what i'm studying (Dancing at Lughnasa, Billy Eliot and Girl with a Pearl Earring)

Advertisement